User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Blow my mind

@kyuuei The only one of those I've been to is the Grand Canyon. Many others too, but I tend to stay on trail at national and state parks.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Why do we cover our mouth when we sneeze but not our ass when we fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    OK ygolo, explain these memes if you can:

1. The meaning of any post is its response.

2. Our current environment is invisible.

3. The content of our current environment is our previous environment.

4. We create our tools and our tools create us.

5. Child rearing practices shape our personalities.

6. Child rearing practices have evolved from child sacrifice, abusive child rearing, authoritarian child rearing, to the helping mode of child rearing.

7. As child rearing practices have evolved, so have personalities.

8. The evolution of personality has created psycho-classes.

9. Religious rituals induce trances, and trances within trances, until we have four trances nestled within each other like russian dolls, till we can't tell the difference between imagination and reality, and we either believe the doctrine, or become the god.

10. We become what we worship.
    I am not sure how to explain these memes. I think some of them are popular, partly because they are true.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The only one of those I've been to is the Grand Canyon. Many others too, but I tend to stay on trail at national and state parks.
    You gotta go off trail for some of this stuff. Havasu Falls and Mooney falls are both in the Grand Canyon.. a tribe of Native Americans that live there in the canyon.. You have to get there by walking, helicopter, or horse back.. I did the horses. It was 3 1/2 hours of riding one way. Very awesome place, and very worth it.

Hamilton Pool is another amazing place within civilization here in Austin, TX, as well as the Greenbelt. Muir Woods is a lovely place in San Fran that has gigantic trees... Cancun has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, and the water was so clear it was a little scary to swim far out at night and be able to see down into the black of the ocean at night with a full moon. I kind of want to experience some more exotic things.. I'm going to travel all over Japan next year, and I'd like to see some amazing things you can only experience in snow too. An ice cavern and a larger cave are both things I'd like to witness.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    FREE

Pain and pleasure are each an emergent property of biology, and organisms that experience both have varying degrees of each over the course of their lives... but there is no reason why an organism couldn't exist that possesses only one of the two. Consider as proof of the spectrum your life and the lives of those around you, contrasted with this video footage of a Bangladeshi worker getting beaten by his Saudi employer for using the telephone without permission:

Further consider that his suffering likely pales in comparison to that of other organisms who are capable of such. You, somehow, have been granted the ability to feel pleasure and to have the opportunity to pursue your dreams and desires without fear of physical abuse or hopeless suffering. There could be a time, in the apparent infiniteness of the universe, when your consciousness exists within an organism that experiences only suffering, and has no means of escaping it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Fear and Hatred of the Abstract

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Blow my mind.

Tell me about the most abstract and deep things you can think of.

Have me question my beliefs to the core.
    Naturally I thought you wanted us to tell you about the abstract because this is what you asked for.

But instead of the abstract we get the particular. Instead of the abstract we get particular places.

I think this is because we cannot think abstractly.

This means we are cut off from the ferment, the excitement, the controversy, and the discovery, and the morality, of the intellectual life.

Imagine being sunk in the particular all your life. Imagine being at the mercy of our particular circumstances. Imagine being at the mercy of our particular desires. Imagine being at the mercy of particular personal imperatives. Then we are trapped in a cage of the particular with no way out - just round and round and round from one particular to another.

This is the kind of hell the anti-intellectuals inhabit, concealed only by their self esteem and fear and hatred of the abstract.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Do people swim in the well ever? looks inviting :P

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Havasu Falls.

Mooney Falls, the neighbor.

The Catacombs of Paris.

The Grand Canyon, and it's smaller sister in North Carolina the Gorge.

The Deserts of Iraq at 149 degrees. Seeing snow in the desert and the people going bananas because it was the first time in 5 or 7 years that they had seen snow was even cooler. (no pun intended)

Oceans so deep and so far out that there are no land for as long as you could possibly live swimming, and the water is so blue it looks instagrammed.

Jacob's well in my own backyard of Texas.

The Black Forest in Germany, home and inspiration of many of my childhood fables.

Natural Bridge Caverns can easily be added to this list.. I love caverns.

The Jungle in Uganda and the Nile River.

I hope to add a lot of cool nature stuff to my belt next year.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    Do people swim in the well ever? looks inviting :P
    Yes; I did! It is VERY VERY Cooooold water though. I'm a really great swimmer, but I don't handle the cold so well, so even though I really wanted to jump off of the top of the rock into the well I couldn't because I was nervous on how I'd be able to swim to the surface after with the shock of cold water. It was hot outside too.. that spring water is just too damn cold. Hamilton Pool is the same way.. same spring cold-as-shit water. I swam about halfway across the pool on a cloudy day and I literally had to stop and swim to a rock because my legs were cramping up from the cold.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I suck at abstract concepts, but something about eternity and thought blows my mind. It's strange to think a brain or mind is that complex and somehow everything goes in a circle without end, or how some things permanently end.

Permabanned

non life is non life. pre birth is post death. the nothingness from which you came is the exact nothingness to which you're headed.

the planet is one living organism. you are everyone, everyone is you. you are that tree. you are that cat. we exist as one entity, one organism, one life, in this vast see of space.

time is not real.

everyone has a voice in their head that wants to be spoken to and heard. most ignore it. don't ignore it.