User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What makes you sure that you aren't in a virtual reality (VR) right now?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Do you ever scuba dream? It's something I made up to describe what happens when I dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream, to the point where I finally wake up, I can count the levels I swam up through, like a scuba diver, to finally arrive above the ocean. I know . . . I'm weird.
    Yeah, this was being discussed briefly on vent, false awakenings. I had one recently, but it was only one dream in a dream, in the past I've had those levels you mention, it's quite disconcerting but always interesting.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Senior Member Array

What makes me 'sure', to the extent that I'm able to be sure about anything that cannot be disproven? The sheer complexity of such an undertaking, the lack of advantage for any self-interested intelligent agency to do so, and the painful and mundane nature of my existence, which rules out the possibility of 'benign' motives while simultaneously being too minor to make it worth the trouble for any god-like sadist to engineer for amusement . But hey, maybe I'm just a butterfly dreaming that I'm a main.....if so, I'd rather not wake up, being a butterfly sounds worse.

Now, the apparent lack of free will regardless of whether we live in a matrix or not.....that's something that worries me.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Homo sapiens responds to the imagination in almost the same way we respond to reality. This is how we have created religion, art, science, music and movies.

And just as Eve was tempted by the apple, we are tempted to elide the difference between imagination and reality.

We have though discovered the antidote which is evidence and reason.

And because we are so tempted to believe our imagination is reality, the easiest person to fool is ourselves. We have recognised this and administer the antdote of evidence and reason.

Mbti depends upon eliding the difference between imagination and reality, and avoiding evidence and reason.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

Nothing, I guess, which makes thought exercises like these pointless.

There's so many unfathomable details that I find it highly unlikely that they're virtualized. Any approximation of reality which is this good may as well just be called reality.

Prime example is my favorite Rubik's style puzzle cube. I collect cubes and speed solve almost every day, and the one I have used the most for thousands of solves has a distinctive wear pattern which has slowly changed the feel of it over time. Only I can know how it's progressively changed and broken in over a few years because I'm so intimately familiar with it. It is worn to the point that it has become sloppy and is not a good speed cube anymore.

What virtual reality would model something to that level? What would be the point - it'd probably be easier to make the real thing than to make a system to fake it.

To use a technical term, I'd say it's almost surely not. 'Almost surely' means it is technically possible but the probability of it being true is for most purposes effectively zero.