across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

What are your thoughts on solipsism?
    Epistemological solipsism seems to make sense, but metaphysical solipsism is taking it too far. I wouldn't get too stuck in it though - most of the time, I behave as if I believe stuff is real, even though I'm not absolutely sure it is.

And yours?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I am so very sure that 99% reality is virtual, and it concerns me deeply.
    It is, according to constructivism. But I find that fascinating, encouraging and a testimonial to the power of the human brain and the cultural and social cooperation of our species rather than worrying.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    It is, according to constructivism. But I find that fascinating, encouraging and a testimonial to the power of the human brain and the cultural and social cooperation of our species rather than worrying.
    *wikis it* Yes, accommodation is what I'm talking about. How we learn and adapt is powerful and is obviously why we have thrived. I just have this nagging thought that it's incompatible with individual psychological needs. This is what worries me.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Nothing makes me sure. I care and it's worth pondering, but it doesn't affect me so much in the end.

Also, a lot of what @Hard said.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've had thoughts about this before. I'm half-sure because all these scenarios, colors, people, and concepts are so realistic that it would take probably thousands of years for your average scientist or researcher to create, unless there was some form of super intelligence that could handle simulating things that were so similar, yet so different and mixed and matched like in the real world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I'm not sure. The only thing i'm sure of is that i'm not sure of anything.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    Epistemological solipsism seems to make sense, but metaphysical solipsism is taking it too far. I wouldn't get too stuck in it though - most of the time, I behave as if I believe stuff is real, even though I'm not absolutely sure it is.

And yours?
    I find solipsism logically sound but practically useless, more likely detrimental to oneself and those around them than insightful. It's a term I use in reference to particularly destructive narcissists.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post

And yours?
    There's a lot of meat to so-called Epistemological Solipsism. It's usually found by referencing Phenomenology. As a cornerstone of Heidegger's Existentialism, it isn't seen a a metaphysic that is contrary to classical metaphysics, but just another angle on it. There isn't necessarily contention.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I'm pretty sure no one would have such poor taste as to create a simulation that consists of me sitting around on my butt every day, doing nothing, so if this is a virtual reality program, it at least isn't a one-man show. Either that, or it's run by a sadist who deserves to have his face punched in. As far as the possibility that there's a broader scale simulation going on, I see no compelling reason to consider it, other than the fact that it's perfectly possible, along with a billion other things. One of the favorite arguments to support the idea that we live in a simulation is that a sufficiently advanced civilization, of which there is surely at least one example, would be creating so many simulations that simulated universes would greatly outnumber real ones, so the odds are in favor of a random person living in a fake universe. There's no good reason at the moment to believe such a civilization exists, nor can we be sure that their rate of simulation production wouldn't be outdone by some sort of (not much less outlandish) reality creating process. So unless someone knows something I don't, this idea is moderately imaginative and little else.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    And then you wake up.

And wake up

wake up

wake.
    Do you ever scuba dream? It's something I made up to describe what happens when I dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream, to the point where I finally wake up, I can count the levels I swam up through, like a scuba diver, to finally arrive above the ocean. I know . . . I'm weird.