User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 38

  1. #11
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I am going to start a thread on this ^^^
    Boring.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Boring.
    Nobody has made a thread like that before.

    I am trying to spice things up a bit without being too out there politically.

  3. #13
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Where are TypeC servers based? If they are US based as far as I know the law have clauses which protect such speech. In NZ discrimination on the basis of political opinion is specifically prohibited, and there has been one very controversial case around that recently. Often, you have to decide which clauses are the most important, because they often conflict with each other. Re minorities, my interpretation is that speech itself is not prohibited, but actively harassing an individual member on that basis is. However that would be covered under existing harassment laws, so I would argue what the need is.

    Specifically around forums, the question is that if you are the owner, even if the forum is your private property...are you not still subject to the law? Wait a minute. We have just got an interesting discussion all of a sudden



    I am not the most imaginative guy around. We need Ne users, people who are overflowing with ideas that they are desperate to share with everyone
    The US government allows free speech. It’s part of our democratic tradition and of course there are laws protecting the press from undue influence by the government (for example).

    We’re not the government though. We don’t run or control the country. We are a privately funded Internet forum. We’re a collection of enthusiasts that have come together to discuss an obscure branch of psychology and over time have evolved to have a set of rules and moderating style. Both are I think pretty good and basic. It seems like a draw here – that the rules and moderation are balanced and fair. However, those rules are applied at the discretion of the madmin team. If members don’t like the rules, or the way they are applied, then they are free to go somewhere else. If they repeatedly violate the rules they will be banned. The bottom line is this isn’t your free speech playground. It's a moderated Internet forum.

    I have an issue with involvement from individuals that espouse beliefs that are inconsistent with the nature of the forum. Here is an example. An individual can hold white supremacist beliefs but if that individual begins to make offensive comments related to those beliefs and their communication begins to feel threatening, demeaning or hostile to others, it simply won’t be tolerated.

    Does that help?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The US government allows free speech. It’s part of our democratic tradition and of course there are laws protecting the press from undue influence by the government (for example).

    We’re not the government though. We don’t run or control the country. We are a privately funded Internet forum. We’re a collection of enthusiasts that have come together to discuss an obscure branch of psychology and over time have evolved to have a set of rules and moderating style. Both are I think pretty good and basic. It seems like a draw here – that the rules and moderation are balanced and fair. However, those rules are applied at the discretion of the madmin team. If members don’t like the rules, or the way they are applied, then they are free to go somewhere else. If they repeatedly violate the rules they will be banned. The bottom line is this isn’t your free speech playground. It's a moderated Internet forum.

    I have an issue with involvement from individuals that espouse beliefs that are inconsistent with the nature of the forum. Here is an example. An individual can hold white supremacist beliefs but if that individual begins to make offensive comments related to those beliefs and their communication begins to feel threatening, demeaning or hostile to others, it simply won’t be tolerated.

    Does that help?
    For the most part, there are a few things I am still unsure of, but will leave them for tomorrow when my mind is sharper.

    EDIT: I have changed my mind, let's get this out of the way.

    These questions have been turned from something quite impersonal into a criticism of me and my manner of posting. I am not a white supremacist, and anyone who wants to understand my beliefs is welcome to ask me about them. It is a given that a large section of the population will find my views "offensive" and "demeaning" just in principle, because they rip apart many cherished, emotionally invested beliefs, so I am not expecting to be popular anywhere. However, it would be impossible for me to function if I was always worrying about other people's feelings and reactions to my views.

    From a forum point of view, what I want to know is how it is decided if communication is offensive, hostile, et cetera, taking the example you mentioned in your previous post. I haven't encountered much trouble so far so have a rough idea of what it might be. However knowledge is better than guesswork, and once I am aware of this I can make more informed decisions about my posting.

  5. #15
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I could start some pretty provocative threads to keep people entertained, but I would need to get an OK on it first.
    Lolz. I'm sure it wouldn't be half as entertaining as you imagine. INTJs are known for flogging dead horses and aren't half as fun as they think they are. Predictable comes to mind.

    For my money, no-one tops the entertainment factor of INFP/INTPs. They've got random down to a fine art.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Eluded_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Lolz. I'm sure it wouldn't be half as entertaining as you imagine. INTJs are known for flogging dead horses and aren't half as fun as they think they are. Predictable comes to mind.

    For my money, no-one tops the entertainment factor of INFP/INTPs. They've got random down to a fine art.
    Rumor has it INTJ's eat words and poop metaphors. Oh wait, that's another type.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

  7. #17
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    These questions have been turned from something quite impersonal into a criticism of me and my manner of posting. I am not a white supremacist, and anyone who wants to understand my beliefs is welcome to ask me about them. It is a given that a large section of the population will find my views "offensive" and "demeaning" just in principle, because they rip apart many cherished, emotionally invested beliefs, so I am not expecting to be popular anywhere. However, it would be impossible for me to function if I was always worrying about other people's feelings and reactions to my views.

    From a forum point of view, what I want to know is how it is decided if communication is offensive, hostile, et cetera, taking the example you mentioned in your previous post. I haven't encountered much trouble so far so have a rough idea of what it might be. However knowledge is better than guesswork, and once I am aware of this I can make more informed decisions about my posting.
    I'm not trying to make this personal. It just seemed like a good opening to clarify a few things. With respect to how those decisions are made, we do two things. First, the FAQ is the baseline. You could argue that it's too detailed or not detailed enough but that's the best we could do. Second, posts are reported and then they are collectively discussed by the moderation staff. We look at the specific instance but also the overall pattern over time. It always ends up being a judgment call with the rules/FAQ being applied as the baseline.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  8. #18
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    There is a genuine trade-off between having members who create interesting and provocative discussions and tolerating such members' habits of being "interesting and provocative" by lobbing metaphorical hand grenades and verbally sniping at people. It is very common for these members to hide their personal agenda of causing random havoc behind a veneer of being a productive member of the forum. It is also rather common for those who are don't mean ill but are very "reactive" to cause a lot of unneeded havoc by being "provoked" into such overreactions.

    I very much dislike seeing these borderline cases banned or temp-banned, and it's always a last resort, when warnings and infractions simply don't work. It doesn't matter that these people add something useful in the long run, if they always have to resort to including personal incendiary remarks on top of their well-reasoned arguments. If your argument is good, adding to your post, "anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot"* makes it less likely, not more likely, for productive discussion to ensue.

    * - There are several variations on a theme of this, some more directly personal, and some remarkably indirect, but all amounting to disrespect for any contributions that happen to disagree, and signaling that nothing resembling a friendly discussion - never mind a rational debate - is likely to occur.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    because they rip apart many cherished, emotionally invested beliefs
    No.

  10. #20
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I could start some pretty provocative threads to keep people entertained, but I would need to get an OK on it first.
    You should definitely just do it. The world needs boldness. I think a lot of what you have to say is something people would find very intriguing... they are likely to be popular threads.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. So many boring threads on TypologyCentral
    By hacbad macbar in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 07:58 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM
  4. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO