MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Default Life Hacks

Personal life hacking tips?

Here's my first one.

This is kind of 2 fold.

1. For cleaning eyeglasses, use regular hand soap or a small amount of dishsoap with warm water. Clean with clean hands then wipe with softer, dry towel.

No need for faincy lens cleaners or special cloths.

I tried rubbing alcohol, plain water, faincy lens cleaners, and this has worked best. Was getting sick of smudges.

2. Instead of using concentrated dishsoap, just put a few squirts in an old "foaming" hand soap dispenser with mostly water. Your dishsoap will last 2 fucking years.

Like this one, for both uses:

Just keep this dispenser until it breaks, mine is going on 1 year+
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

I just use window cleaner, the big half gallon no name brand.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Heeyyy I do the foaming soap thing too! It's so useful for quickly washing a dish too that wasn't really that dirty and doubles as hand wash!

Those old school potpourri rocks + oil are still the best deodorizers I've found ever. Close second: Those over-poweringly strong lush soaps and bath bombs. Just stick one of those in a sock and shove it in a drawer and it makes everything smell like it. For years.

I don't really own a funnel.. I just keep cutting the tops of water bottles off and using them.

Sugar water + a squirt of scentless foaming soap in a shallow dish attracts fruit flies, so after you find the source attracting them and toss it (damn you bag of potatoes I forgot about!) you can round up a bunch with that overnight.

There are a ton that I do that I can't think of right now.. so I'll bookmark this for later.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I saw this one on a life hack site, but i'd been doing it for years prior.

Tired of splash back when using public/personal toilets?

Just lay a thin layer of toilet paper on top of the water. You don't need much, perhaps a few squares, maybe more depending on the size of the deposit being made.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Treat mozzie bites with a hot spoon.

Yes...

a hot spoon.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Jello shot hacks:

- Rum is superior to vodka. You can put a lot more in AC/oz and have a superior, meshing taste. Vodka is always really strong in those shots, you never taste the jello, but rum will blend with the jello and give you that awesome, jello-flavor-fusion you're looking for. Strawberry jello + banana rum is always a winner, followed closely behind lemon jello + a mixture of lime and coconut rum.

- When using those 2oz disposable cups, spray some Pam cooking spray onto a paper towel and coat the insides of the cups prior to filling them. When it comes time to take those shots, rimming them with your tongue will make them pop out whole instead of fishing for them in a rather uncouth manner.

A couple food hacks:

- Collect the odds and ends of vegetable trimmings when prepping vegetables throughout the week in a container in the fridge, and put them in a slow cooker overnight. In the morning, strain it through a strainer and let it cool and you have vegetable broth made fresh. You can also add chicken bones too.

- Stick broth in ice cube trays and freeze them, then sort them into baggies. If you need broth for a recipe, use a whole bag for a can or two's worth, or just a few if you only need a little bit of broth for a saucy dish.

- Peel garlic by putting it between two metal bowls that will fit end-to-end and cup the garlic pieces. Shake vigorously for about 5-10 seconds.

- Wet your fingers before trying to fish out eggshells. You grab them really easily that way.

- Pull the little stem end thingy out of an avocado to see if it's too ripe or not. Green will be ripe, black will be too ripe.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WhoCares

A $2 squeegee from Ikea will save you hours in cleaning the bathroom. After each shower, squeegee the water off the shower cubicle immediatley. No soap scum, no mould if the water doesn't dry on the tiles. I havent cleaned my shower in 8 weeks and it doesn't need it either.

Do you have vertical blinds that no longer turn correctly? A $6 blind mechanism and 5mins of your time will fix that, only a screwdriver and google necessary.

How to keep an enamelled stovetop like new for years on end. Wipe off food spills with a microfibre cloth before they cool, nothing will ever stick to the enamel keeping it in as-new condition. Abrasive cleaners will kill your stove. If something is stubborn a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of bi-carb soda will remove it just dont use this method often. Baked on oils and fat around the metal rim are removed with caustic soda solution. Sodium hydroxide will react with the oils to produce soap that simply wipes away. A 20% solution is effective.

Need a sewing machine? Go to a thrift store and buy the oldest, heaviest machine you can find. They usually cost less than $20 and work for decades. Machines pre-1970 were made with quality cast iron bodies and machined steel snd are near industrial quality sewing very heavy fabrics with ease. There is nothing in them to really break, parts are easily replacable and they never need servicing at a shop. I've had 2 Singer machines in my life. One a 1910 Model which still works to this day and the other a 1960's model I bought because I needed a zigzag and button-hole stitch. Modern plastic machines are built to break, they are a waste of money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/07/how-...ing-crock.html

Beautiful homemade sauerkraut crock for like $10.. versus $50-150 online. It's going to be my father's day gift for my dad. I just ordered the flip lid for it and I'll sucker someone into getting me the accessories I need otherwise.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    http://www.nwedible.com/2012/07/how-...ing-crock.html

Beautiful homemade sauerkraut crock for like $10.. versus $50-150 online. It's going to be my father's day gift for my dad. I just ordered the flip lid for it and I'll sucker someone into getting me the accessories I need otherwise.
    You lost me at "You can spend a lot of money on specialized pickling crocks."

Haha, that's cool, I don't do a lot of pickling though, lol.

Ok hmmm. Let's think.

1. If you live in as many apartments as me, get a decent sample of the kind of paint they use on the walls from maintenance. That way, you can save on potential deposit loss or damage if you use screws or nails to hang things up. I've put up hanging rock boards with deep screws then covered with spackle and painted over. Just like new.

2. So I didn't have coffee filters, or a coffee press, but I did have paper towels:

3. Also, when the smoke alarm starts going off for no reason at 3am and nothing will turn the fucker off and it's hard wired in the ceiling, DON'T cut it with a nice knife.

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Sugar water + a squirt of scentless foaming soap in a shallow dish attracts fruit flies, so after you find the source attracting them and toss it (damn you bag of potatoes I forgot about!) you can round up a bunch with that overnight.
    A little red wine vinegar (apple cider and white work too, just not as well as red wine) added to this work even better. We had a huge problem when we bought our house. A few dishes of that, problem solved.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.