User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Life Hacks

Fruit fly problems? Just take an old tupperware or jar, drill a few small holes in the lid, then put some apple cider vinegar in the bottom with just a drop of regular dish detergent. The apple cider scent attracts them and the detergent prevents them from escaping. Dump it, rinse it, and refill with ingredients as required.

We tried this and the fruit fly population diminished considerably in our home.

Roach or ant problems? Unless you have a serious infestation, just buy a container of boric acid powder and sprinkle it in all of those dark cracks and corners where they tend to hide and retreat to. It's more effective than a lot of the other pest control products. It is also cheaper and far less toxic for pets and small children.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

Homemade spray for laundry stains:
    Mix white vinegar + ammonia + liquid hand soap/laundry detergent/dish detergent (I use laundry detergent at approximately a 1/3-1/3-1/3 ratio, but slightly less on the laundry detergent) in a spray bottle... works on most stains I've encountered.

I buy a head of lettuce, wash it and spin it, tear into small pieces, and then layer with paper towels in a giant plastic food storage container. So much cheaper than prepared salad, and you can just grab a few handfuls when you're ready for a salad. It lasts well for many days like this, I usually eat it well before it spoils, but I could see it going at least a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Fruit fly problems? Just take an old tupperware or jar, drill a few small holes in the lid, then put some apple cider vinegar in the bottom with just a drop of regular dish detergent. The apple cider scent attracts them and the detergent prevents them from escaping. Dump it, rinse it, and refill with ingredients as required.
    Or if you dont wanna destroy a tupperware, you can affix plastic wrap (or tinfoil) with a rubber band over the top of a glass or a jar and poke the holes in the plastic wrap, do the same with ACV.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Or if you dont wanna destroy a tupperware, you can affix plastic wrap (or tinfoil) with a rubber band over the top of a glass or a jar and poke the holes in the plastic wrap, do the same with ACV.
    Good call

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Good call
    Yeah!

or like a rinsed-out sour cream container or something too...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yeah!

or like a rinsed-out sour cream container or something too...
    Yes, any old plastic container is good, although clear is better so you can check on how full the trap has become.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    • reuse plastic containers from yogurt, cream cheese, lunch meats, etc. for leftovers
    • to remove stubborn stains from things like wine carafes or coffee cups, drop a denture cleaning tablet in it with water and let it soak for a couple hours, then scrub/wipe gently
    I'll do the first one if the container is pretty solid. Old coffee containers seem just as good as tupperware. The cream cheese ones are pretty good too.

I have heard of the denture tablets. Specifically for cleaning Camelbaks.

Speaking of which, instead of buying their hose cleaning kit (like 15 bucks), soak in warm soapy water (or denture tablets) and use a SMALL nylon string with a knot on the end to clean out dirt, or what usually happens, mold.

Be careful here, I used some paracord that seemed fine, and it did clean out the disgusting mold and other crap, but it was 7 strand paracord and I didn't realize it til later, but it stripped out the thin plastic lining and I ruined a good camelbak hose. I had to cut the hose, because the lining had bunched up.

SO use this size to the RIGHT of the hose (the one on the left fucked it up, too thick. You DEF don't have to use paracord, just what I had on hand):

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

What I've learned about flies (those little fuckers).

They seem to be attracted to heat. When I'm grilling, or heating up meat.

I've left out cold, cooked meat, and they don't seem to care.

They like the light (unless there's some warm meat somewhere else). So to get them all hanging out, I clean everything and then either leave a light on or just open some blinds then I place the trap........

Fly strips (or whatever words for you). Totally useless, until.....I laid them on the ground on a piece of aluminum foil, next to a window, when everywhere else was dark (they were gathered here like it was a fly party).

The results speak for themselves, this is one day. Kinda gross so I'll spoiler it:

And braggin rights, like 3 more notches on my swatter:

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I like those fly traps you get real cheap at walmart with the plastic baggy that you fill with water... They smell like death, and they attract SWARMS of flies. I put it in the far nether-reaches of the yard.

Ultimate get-rid-of-mosquitoes guide:
    - Place fans. Fans are the single easiest thing to do to literally mechanically push mosquitoes away. Set one up near the entrance people go in and out of and it'll help keep them out of the house.
    - Get rid of stagnant water goes without saying.
    - Grill. Smoke detracts most insects.
    - If doing a party outside, treat the yard the day before for mosquitoes and insects.
    - If you lack bug spray, use vodka + citronella essential oil. If you're lazy like me, cheap old speed stick green gel flavor works too.
    - Make some tiki torches out of wine bottles for about $4 a piece and you have table-top tiki torches.
    And apparently--Lemon Eucalyptus oil is sometimes more effective than citronella for mosquitoes, so to get the best of both worlds, fill up two tiki torches with citronella fuel and LE fuel.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I like those fly traps you get real cheap at walmart with the plastic baggy that you fill with water... They smell like death, and they attract SWARMS of flies. I put it in the far nether-reaches of the yard.

- Place fans. Fans are the single easiest thing to do to literally mechanically push mosquitoes away. Set one up near the entrance people go in and out of and it'll help keep them out of the house.
    - Get rid of stagnant water goes without saying.
    - Grill. Smoke detracts most insects.
    - If doing a party outside, treat the yard the day before for mosquitoes and insects.
    - If you lack bug spray, use vodka + citronella essential oil. If you're lazy like me, cheap old speed stick green gel flavor works too.
    - Make some tiki torches out of wine bottles for about $4 a piece and you have table-top tiki torches.
    And apparently--Lemon Eucalyptus oil is sometimes more effective than citronella for mosquitoes, so to get the best of both worlds, fill up two tiki torches with citronella fuel and LE fuel.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I second this. We got an outdoor fan w/mister thing a couple years ago and I put it right by the sliding door. Works great. I don't use the misting very much but it seems to work well too. I also like to add some sage or rosemary to the fire pit, it keeps the mosquitoes (and most other bugs) at bay.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.