User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default I've discovered where creativity goes to die

    I recently moved to a new city. A population of about a million so I didn't expect it to be radically different to where I have lived before. But in my first month here I just felt like things were radically wrong and couldn't put my finger on it. On the surface things look normal but there is a certain off-ness to the place. Almost like a town of stepford wives. People say the right things but there's an undercurrent of emptiness here that makes me feel like I've moved into some isolated enclave of weirdness. Then last night on my way home I got it. The couple behind me were talking and the woman said that XXXX city isn't a creative place.

    I got a big a ha! Moment. That's what bugs me about this place it's where creativity goes to die. I had a think of all I had seen here and yes, yes, yes this is it! All the stores are carbon copies of each other, not one of them is unique in anyway. It's the same old crap ten times over. The eateries make the same food have the same decor. The people here are simple, in an very unpleasant way. Not simple as in mentally slow, or as in having only basic desires or interests. But simple in a hollow, want the same things, no variation to life kind of way. It's like meeting the same person over and over again. Nothing more to see nothing more to do.

    I went to a local designers event, and what struck me is that not only were all the designers peddling the same aesthetic, the same lack of attention to craftsmanship, but that 60% of the stalls were actually from interstate. Although it was a local event and very small (probably about 30 stands in total) hardly any of them were local people and what was there were the drab remnants of creativity from somewhere else. I walked away feeling really bleak about this place because not only should a relatively large population like this harbour some form of creative outlet, but there is no counter-culture here, no local oddities, flair or flavour. It is actually a culture free zone.

    I've lived in far more isolated and smaller places in this that had a lot more character to them. The town I was living in (pop 5,000, mostly retirees) had a more vibrant market culture. This is what life would be like if a city were made up entirely of middle aged couples with an SUV, 2 children and a dog.

    Glad to see my culture shock isn't imagined, now wondering how I can survive here for the remaining 10 months of my lease.

  2. #2
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I recently moved to a new city. A population of about a million so I didn't expect it to be radically different to where I have lived before. But in my first month here I just felt like things were radically wrong and couldn't put my finger on it. On the surface things look normal but there is a certain off-ness to the place. Almost like a town of stepford wives. People say the right things but there's an undercurrent of emptiness here that makes me feel like I've moved into some isolated enclave of weirdness. Then last night on my way home I got it. The couple behind me were talking and the woman said that XXXX city isn't a creative place.

    I got a big a ha! Moment. That's what bugs me about this place it's where creativity goes to die. I had a think of all I had seen here and yes, yes, yes this is it! All the stores are carbon copies of each other, not one of them is unique in anyway. It's the same old crap ten times over. The eateries make the same food have the same decor. The people here are simple, in an very unpleasant way. Not simple as in mentally slow, or as in having only basic desires or interests. But simple in a hollow, want the same things, no variation to life kind of way. It's like meeting the same person over and over again. Nothing more to see nothing more to do.

    I went to a local designers event, and what struck me is that not only were all the designers peddling the same aesthetic, the same lack of attention to craftsmanship, but that 60% of the stalls were actually from interstate. Although it was a local event and very small (probably about 30 stands in total) hardly any of them were local people and what was there were the drab remnants of creativity from somewhere else. I walked away feeling really bleak about this place because not only should a relatively large population like this harbour some form of creative outlet, but there is no counter-culture here, no local oddities, flair or flavour. It is actually a culture free zone.

    I've lived in far more isolated and smaller places in this that had a lot more character to them. The town I was living in (pop 5,000, mostly retirees) had a more vibrant market culture. This is what life would be like if a city were made up entirely of middle aged couples with an SUV, 2 children and a dog.

    Glad to see my culture shock isn't imagined, now wondering how I can survive here for the remaining 10 months of my lease.
    What's the main economical activity of the city? Perhaps the city is predominantly made up of worker class of people...?

  3. #3
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    I wanna know what city. I won't stalk you, I promise.

  4. #4
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I wanna know what city. I won't stalk you, I promise.
    yes, do tell. I need to know what city not to move to if i plan on being creative.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  5. #5
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Well, its not detroit if that's what you're asking.... Australia is a strange place anyway, we have a tiny population dotted about the coast and a largely empty continent. The main stay of the economy here in general is mining and agriculture. Manufacturing, intellectual property and the rest of it while present don't make up the majority of our economy. Yes, we have a few standout creatives that have made it internationally but that's not our major export either. In any case a lot of successful "aussies" are really NZlanders....

    This city is pretty much the same as all the others. Most people are employed in retail and hospitality, a small percentage in various professions and a large group in trades. Even in the smaller rural centres I have lived in (lived in many places in Australia) have a counter culture, creatives and wanna be designer types and artists. In fact some small rural centres are known for a large percentage of their population pursuing such activities. So its a complete shock to me to find somewhere largely devoid of such activities. At the very least, in almost all up and coming centres the gourmet food industry is usually the first to rear it's head and the most prolific. As you would expect from an agricultural centred economy. But even that here is woefully under represented for the size of the population. A million people is considered a major city in this country, whereas fair enough that would be a regional centre for many other countries.

  6. #6
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Well, its not detroit if that's what you're asking.... Australia is a strange place anyway, we have a tiny population dotted about the coast and a largely empty continent. The main stay of the economy here in general is mining and agriculture. Manufacturing, intellectual property and the rest of it while present don't make up the majority of our economy. Yes, we have a few standout creatives that have made it internationally but that's not our major export either. In any case a lot of successful "aussies" are really NZlanders....

    This city is pretty much the same as all the others. Most people are employed in retail and hospitality, a small percentage in various professions and a large group in trades. Even in the smaller rural centres I have lived in (lived in many places in Australia) have a counter culture, creatives and wanna be designer types and artists. In fact some small rural centres are known for a large percentage of their population pursuing such activities. So its a complete shock to me to find somewhere largely devoid of such activities. At the very least, in almost all up and coming centres the gourmet food industry is usually the first to rear it's head and the most prolific. As you would expect from an agricultural centred economy. But even that here is woefully under represented for the size of the population. A million people is considered a major city in this country, whereas fair enough that would be a regional centre for many other countries.
    Perhaps there's not enough young members in the population to form a counter culture, hence the lack of demand by and supply to alternative group of customers...

  7. #7
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    It's Canberra, isn't it?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  8. #8
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    It's Canberra, isn't it?
    I wish, at least Canberra is close to something else. At least Canberra has some interesting exibits in the National Art Gallery. Canberra is a cosmopolitan metropolis by comparison.

Similar Threads

  1. Why did Jesus have to die?
    By antireconciler in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  2. And the Oscar goes to...
    By Griffi97 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  3. Is this where I go to get fluffed?
    By Oberon in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
  4. Geoff goes to a medieval joust - fun picture.
    By Geoff in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO