User Tag List

First 123

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

My least favourite Ted talk is "20 is the new 30" and I couldn't sit through more than four minutes of this.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    My least favourite Ted talk is "20 is the new 30" and I couldn't sit through more than four minutes of this.
    The one I cited, or orange is the new black numerically substituted?

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    The one I cited, or orange is the new black numerically substituted?
    Haha, the one you cited.

Also: Why 30 is not the new 20 (silly me, had the right talk in mind, reworded the title). Enjoy.
    Likes BlackDog liked this post

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Haha, the one you cited.

Also: Why 30 is not the new 20 (silly me, had the right talk in mind, reworded the title). Enjoy.
    I love the way she talks about "Alex" condescendingly as if she is a scientist talking about a chimp who learned to memorize the alphabet or something. And the way she sniffs/breathes through her nose loudly/significantly. The blonde, blue-eyed southern belle crossed with a psychologist's training results in a neo-con secular preacher! Seriously, she sounds like a baptist minister/neo-con/primatologist

The idea that people in their 20s all of a sudden voluntarily decided to start 'playing around' voluntarily is absurd and unscientific. People behave much the same way generation to generation; the difference is external pressures. If behavior changes, something in the environment has also changed; at the least that should be our assumption. Therapists who only see individuals are not qualified to make sweeping generalizations like this.

This is infuriating; it isn't worse than my least favorite because there is at least some content and an argument; I just disagree with the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    Therapists who only see individuals are not qualified to make sweeping generalizations like this.

This is infuriating; it isn't worse than my least favorite because there is at least some content and an argument; I just disagree with the argument.
    Exactly, this topped with the hysteria surrounding it when it was initially released made it even more insufferable. She reads a few fluff articles by journalists and scientists and so she concludes all 20-somethings are slacking off...? I don't understand why it was considered ground-breaking, it's condescending at best.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Exactly, this topped with the hysteria surrounding it when it was initially released made it even more insufferable. She reads a few fluff articles by journalists and scientists and so she concludes all 20-somethings are slacking off...? I don't understand why it was considered ground-breaking, it's condescending at best.
    Well, if you read old books you find the authors nearly always exclaim about the growing degeneracy of the young. This seems like a human societal tendency. So perhaps there was some deep psychic need in our society to hear that the young are degenerating, and since now you aren't allowed to declare it unilaterally from a pulpit or some other position of moral censorship, this 'scientist' did it from the perspective of 'research'.
    Formerly Lion4!5
    Likes Raffaella liked this post