MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Coming from you, that's very funny
    It's all subjective, I try to not be. But I'm glad you found it funny.
    4w5-9w1-5w4
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

Permabanned

Why all the hate?
    With me...almost all that I write here...
    Is just that. A form of poetry, contrived platitudes, and quirky thought...thought I've come up with, thought I've collected from elsewhere. Don't take life so seriously.

I just write to express because I feel I need to, like if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to function. To figure myself out a bit more. I don't know the last time I wrote something that wasn't half in jest and half self exploration. It's a wonderful tool for self growth.

Though, I'm fine with never being heard. I express because I need to. Not for anyone else. I write.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    I agree. The speaker comes off as heavily self-absorbed and starving for positive recognition. Then tries to reassure her self-doubts by making a lame scarecrow joke (mirroring her position on TED) to get some pity from the audience.

With that aside. I'm all about "regaining wonder". Even if it is unobtainable.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Ginkgo

TED Talks can never be substantial enough to deeply inform an audience. The purpose of them, then, must be to inspire an audience to do independent research. If one, such as the OP, fails to do this, then TED talks start to lose what differentiates them from cabaret entertainment.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

A lot of TED talks are bad, but hey, you just need to find the good ones!
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    TED Talks can never be substantial enough to deeply inform an audience. The purpose of them, then, must be to inspire an audience to do independent research. If one, such as the OP, fails to do this, then TED talks start to lose what differentiates them from cabaret entertainment.
    The OP failed... nothing. You can't get to step B if you can't get passed step A, which was to inspire the audience.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    The OP failed... nothing. You can't get to step B if you can't get passed step A, which was to inspire the audience.
    I wasn't inspired by this TED Talk.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    I wasn't inspired either. It was monotonous and trite. I'm inspired by something which I think will be useful. Poetry is totally non-fuctional, and her poetry wasn't even very good. And the journey she took to be a poet is irrelevant, as perhaps 1 person out of a million is able to make money as a poet. Probably fewer than that, actually.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Ugh I watched some of one the other day that was basically about some girl talking about how you should let kids play with toys because it helps them dream and be successful in life. It was so.. flowery and hippy and kumbia. The girl bragged about how awesome she was at this and that for like 20 minutes straight. It was ridiculous. I was like "Yeah, I get it, you're an amazing person that everyone should love, get to the god damned point." And the whole point was "my parents let me play with cardboard boxes when we were kids." -_-p I was so irritated.

There are some that are totally useful--I liked one I watched a month back where he explained how easy (and free) it was to make compost, and why hipsters and urban foodies are doing it all wrong and over-complicating it with tumblers and bacterium and food scraps. Simple, effective, and a little comedy with mostly "here's really what's going on there." I like the one where the girl presented her idea of a mushroom suit to help compost bodies actively.

I think that this appeals to those not looking for practicality--which just happens to not be me. If I'm watching an 18 minute something that isn't practical, it better make me laugh or have violence or nudity. Preferably all of the above.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

your resident asshole

I didn't watch it, but here's another useless TED talk. It's about shoelaces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA
    Likes BlackDog liked this post