User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type are you?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    61 25.21%
  • INTJ

    44 18.18%
  • ENTP

    10 4.13%
  • ENTJ

    3 1.24%
  • INFP

    33 13.64%
  • INFJ

    27 11.16%
  • ENFP

    12 4.96%
  • ENFJ

    9 3.72%
  • ISTP

    9 3.72%
  • ISTJ

    6 2.48%
  • ESTP

    2 0.83%
  • ESTJ

    1 0.41%
  • ISFP

    1 0.41%
  • ISFJ

    3 1.24%
  • ESFP

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    2 0.83%
  • I am unsure despite not being new to MBTI

    3 1.24%
  • I identify as borderline

    16 6.61%
First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 151

  1. #61
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think the "strength" of preferences is that useful, if we are basing it on the typical online test.

    From these tests (which tend to be 2-answer multiple choice -- "This" or "That" -- comparing paired functions), even if I am scored as a 100% in N (for example), all this means is that in 100% of the questions, I was at least 51% N.

    So a 100% N as listed in this thread really just designates an N that ranges anywhere from 51-100%, correct?

    I do not find this very useful, at least for the level of precision that these types of discussions usually demand. (And it is also misleading.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #62
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So a 100% N as listed in this thread really just designates an N that ranges anywhere from 51-100%, correct?

    I do not find this very useful, at least for the level of precision that these types of discussions usually demand. (And it is also misleading.)
    I like the qualifiers like moderate/strong/cremated because it tells me how certain people are of their type and how expressed it is. It also hints about their focus. If someone says very I, slightly N, moderately T, moderately P, I'll think of a reserved person who's more Ti focused than Ne. Slightly I, moderately N, moderately T and slightly P, and I'll imagine an outgoing INTP with some ENTJ/ENTP traits (who probably fills those roles in certain situations).

    I guess I like jumping to conclusions.

    Edit: But no, not really if these results are based mostly on online tests btw. People need to understand the different letters and tell how much they identify with them for it to really be useful.

  3. #63
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    True, I did not state in the OP what type of discussion I had in mind. I did later, though.

    I think what I am doing is promoting efficiency. If the benefit provided by the strength of preferences posts is low and the consequence is that people don't read the thread, I am pointing out the unseen harm in that the quality (and hence quantity) of discussion could potentially be higher. As an ENTP you should appreciate this.
    As an ENTP, it's difficult for me to see how any information can be un-useful, ever. I always prefer to 'keep it in' than 'chuck it out'. And I can usually think of a use for most things.

    I appreciate how you see it, but I also perceive that maybe what's irrelevant fluff to one person can be useful insights to another; what you find an infuriating deviation, another can see as an interesting tangent Like I say, I didn't think 'pointless low quality fluff' to this thread - I thought 'useful reference point', and Carebear thought it was 'neat' .

    Fair enough if that's not what you intended, but... If you'd just said in the OP what you meant, it might've gone better for you - to seemingly give people carte blanche and then apparently start telling them off for they-don't-know-what (how saying later in the thread what your purpose for it was, could be interpreted) only serves to muddy the issue. We live and learn eh? I've done the same thing, so I know how you feel and sympathise. But still, you can't blame people...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  4. #64
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    @substitute:

    It's not the deviation that I mind. I'm a live and let live person. It's the fact that it's a deviation almost no one cares about enough to follow up or even to read the thread before posting which has the subtle effect of lowering the quality and quantity of actual discussion in the thread. As an ENTP who values all the information you can get, you should care because you could get more input in total if the clutter was relegated to its own thread, since posters in this thread might start to comment on other aspects of the type distribution than the influx from INTP Central.

    Do you see my point about unseen harm?

    Of course, this is no big deal, but now I care about getting my point across.

  5. #65
    shoshaku jushaku rivercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I like the qualifiers like moderate/strong/cremated because it tells me how certain people are of their type and how expressed it is. It also hints about their focus. If someone says very I, slightly N, moderately T, moderately P, I'll think of a reserved person who's more Ti focused than Ne. Slightly I, moderately N, moderately T and slightly P, and I'll imagine an outgoing INTP with some ENTJ/ENTP traits (who probably fills those roles in certain situations).
    ALL the qualifiers on the official MBTI indicator tell you is how clear your preference.

    It tells you more about the indicator than about the person. Perhaps the questions were confusing to the individual or the individual had some cultural/social response to the items that could not be anticipated.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

  6. #66
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From these tests (which tend to be 2-answer multiple choice -- "This" or "That" -- comparing paired functions), even if I am scored as a 100% in N (for example), all this means is that in 100% of the questions, I was at least 51% N.

    So a 100% N as listed in this thread really just designates an N that ranges anywhere from 51-100%, correct?
    Well... that just begs the question...

    What if I was 51% N on 51% of the questions, but 90% S on 49% of the questions.

    However, the main MBTI does the same thing - if you measure strongly on 3 of the 5 main subtraits, 1 neutral and 1 against, you are considered solidly one thing. Likewise, even if you answer split functions, you will be assigned one based on the professional's opinion. (This is not a statement on how accurate this is or isn't.)

    The test, including the formal tests, aren't geared to gradients. It is more or less meaningless, within MBTI, to claim strength.

  7. #67
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    ALL the qualifiers on the official MBTI indicator tell you is how clear your preference.

    It tells you more about the indicator than about the person. Perhaps the questions were confusing to the individual or the individual had some cultural/social response to the items that could not be anticipated.
    Yes, it doesn't tell much, and I edit:ed because I'm less interested in people's scores than in how they identify with the different letters. If someone says they're very introverted or very N, I take it they're not the talkative type of introvert (like I am in certain settings) or that they consider themselves very abstract in thought. It tells me more about how people perceive themselves than how they really are, but that's interesting as well. It might be that high scores on the test influenced their view of themselves, but that's still how they see themselves atm.

  8. #68
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    What if I was 51% N on 51% of the questions, but 90% S on 49% of the questions.
    You're going to get some VERY funky results.
    (Hmmm. That might explain some of the funky results people see!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #69
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You're going to get some VERY funky results.
    (Hmmm. That might explain some of the funky results people see!)
    Waddayamean? He's a pure 1(00)% intuitive then! Clear N. Nothing to see here, move on!

  10. #70
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    @substitute:

    It's not the deviation that I mind. I'm a live and let live person. It's the fact that it's a deviation almost no one cares about enough to follow up or even to read the thread before posting which has the subtle effect of lowering the quality and quantity of actual discussion in the thread. As an ENTP who values all the information you can get, you should care because you could get more input in total if the clutter was relegated to its own thread, since posters in this thread might start to comment on other aspects of the type distribution than the influx from INTP Central.

    Do you see my point about unseen harm?

    Of course, this is no big deal, but now I care about getting my point across.
    yeah I know, you HAVE got your point across, you're doing that thing of assuming that cos I don't agree, I must therefore not properly understand what you're saying

    To assume that nobody cares just because you don't is a mistake, I reckon. There's already been people saying they do care, and if it weren't so INTx dominated here then maybe there'd be even more people who care. And maybe there are lots reading, but not posting, who care.

    I think 'unseen harm' is a bit of a strong term to use - after all, there's nothing stopping you superior folks from having whatever discussion you like, alongside the fluff.

    And besides, I don't see how there really is much to say about the distribution of types on this site, besides INTPc influx and the fact it hasn't been going long enough yet for most non-INTx's to know about it. It's all a bit too obvious to merit discussion... extraverts usually wouldn't spend hours on computers, so wouldn't be regulars at these things - I'm an exception cos I work from home sometimes, and I guess there are a few more. You may get the odd extravert who, like I used to be, is unwillingly isolated and forced to mimicking introvert behaviour (in my case, it was an over-jealous and introverted spouse who never wanted to go anywhere and gave me a hard time if I went out, that had me sitting indoors on the computer day in, day out, as my only means of human interaction).

    But besides the few 'exceptions that prove the rule', I'd have thought it'd go without saying that it'd be introvert and intuitive dominated. Since the MBTI thing is all pretty abstract, it's as unlikely to appeal to sensors as extraverts. Oh, that, and the way the profiles are written in such a way that they're hugely biased towards intuitives, presenting them 'at their best' while presenting 'average' sensors. If I were a sensor, I don't think I'd want to embrace a system that seemed to classify me as basically just some kind of cattle-minion while my idle waster of a student son who sits there on the sofa surrounded by his own mess, is apparently a 'visionary' and 'world changer'.

    I'd say the distribution of types on this forum would be largely affected by the appeal of MBTI, since it's an interest in MBTI that would be what'd bring most people hither.

    Is that the kinda discussion you were after?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] ENFPs:What type are you most attracted to? (romantic)
    By Chloe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM
  2. For those born in October: What type are you?
    By hommefatal in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
  3. what type are you? [site demographics]
    By Chimerical in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 01:12 AM
  4. What type are you crushing on right now?
    By Rangler in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO