• I am unsure despite not being new to MBTI

3 1.24%
  • I identify as borderline

16 6.61%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Can turning into opposites really be possible?
    Not according to type theory as we know it.

If you are under stress, your inferior function will appear, but in a poorly-developed version of whatever. (I am not doing words good today, sorry.)

So, for you, assuming you are INTJ, your inferior would be Extraverted Sensing, so you could resemble a poorly-developed ESFP.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    ENTP

I dunno... I find it useful as a reference point. I wouldn't sit and read the thread through, but if I'm having interaction with a particular member, and I find their behaviour perplexing, it's often useful to reference threads like this to see if they posted on it, by way of helping me understand/explain and better interact with them.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno... I find it useful as a reference point. I wouldn't sit and read the thread through, but if I'm having interaction with a particular member, and I find their behaviour perplexing, it's often useful to reference threads like this to see if they posted on it, by way of helping me understand/explain and better interact with them.
    Yeah, but that benefit comes at a cost. Try reading page 2-3 of the thread.

Perhaps strength of preferences deserves its own thread?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

I don't get it - the OP didn't specifically call for any particular type of discussion, you didn't even hint at what you had in mind for the thread, so understandably people thought it was a thread talking about their type, and also understandably, thought they'd be more specific with regard to their preference strengths, as it is relevant and does make a difference. Perhaps people thought your request for people to state whether they were borderline led some people to figure they'd write their preferences and let others be the judge.

I know maybe it's just an INTJ thing, like everything's irrelevant if it doesn't directly fulfill your personal (yet unstated) purpose? On reading the thread, I'm struggling to see what your point/problem is - that people aren't psychic?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    IMO, if someone does almost a complete 180, that is based more on suppression in the past or suppression in the current moment rather than an actual "change."

IOW, there has been a radical shift in outer behavior, but that is because the internal inclinations had been suppressed for some reason or are currently being squelshed.

For me, usually, the "shift" in personalities over years is more a matter of self-discovery than actual change. I use certain functions in my life because I have opportunity to or think it is the way to survive, then later realize I didn't really enjoy it or something else feels even better to me... so I am slowly "excavating" myself over the years and finding the true fossil inside.

When I make these sort of evaluations, I look at the actual shifts themselves ... + I look at my situation/context for each exhibited personality, to see what pressures might have been at work to make me behave a certain way. (In fact, another interesting clue to type is to see what inherent suppositions I was making that led me to BELIEVE I had to act a certain way in the first place. What goals were I serving for myself? What anxiety was I trying to relieve?)

I do not know any details of your past or current self, so I couldn't tell you... but these are some typical questions to ask.
    Thank you for the explanation, Jennifer. It makes sense.

In my quest to understand my type, I haven't focused much on other types, but your questions made me think of my upbringing, which was mostly happy but often very stressful.

I'm not sure about what suppositions I was making back then that made me think I had to act a certain way. That will take some extra thought and exploration. I guess I was just trying to survive family life. It seems that being like everyone else was more important that developing a strong individuality, so I guess I was shaping myself into a mini-Mom, who was the family member with whom I spent the most time.

I am not sure about my father's type. I suspect ISTP, but I'd need to do more reading.

My mother is an ESFJ. She was (and still is) extremely self sacrificing, so I wonder if some of her behaviors and expectations stifled my self knowledge and confidence by teaching me that self sacrifice, fitting into the mold, and putting myself last were traits of value. I remember being criticized a lot for not meeting expectations, but I wonder if that's really so different from most kids' experiences. I tended to say yes and then go off and do what I wanted to do anyway. I knew there would be trouble later, but it seemed worth it to try to eke out a little independence wherever I could.

I often felt an uncomfortable pressure to "perform," partly because Mom was overly interested in how she and our family were perceived by others. She also used guilt as a motivator, and I did not have the life experience as a child to question or rebel from the guilt and criticism and conflict in my life. I am now certain that I was holding back huge parts of myself. I lived a great deal of my life inside my head. I still do.

Thanks for making me think about this. I have so much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    If you are under stress, your inferior function will appear, but in a poorly-developed version of whatever. (I am not doing words good today, sorry.)

So, for you, assuming you are INTJ, your inferior would be Extraverted Sensing, so you could resemble a poorly-developed ESFP.
    Interesting. Maybe that helps explain why for a lot of years I felt uncomfortable in my own skin.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I don't get it - the OP didn't specifically call for any particular type of discussion, you didn't even hint at what you had in mind for the thread, so understandably people thought it was a thread talking about their type, and also understandably, thought they'd be more specific with regard to their preference strengths, as it is relevant and does make a difference. Perhaps people thought your request for people to state whether they were borderline led some people to figure they'd write their preferences and let others be the judge.

I know maybe it's just an INTJ thing, like everything's irrelevant if it doesn't directly fulfill your personal (yet unstated) purpose? On reading the thread, I'm struggling to see what your point/problem is - that people aren't psychic?
    True, I did not state in the OP what type of discussion I had in mind. I did later, though.

I think what I am doing is promoting efficiency. If the benefit provided by the strength of preferences posts is low and the consequence is that people don't read the thread, I am pointing out the unseen harm in that the quality (and hence quantity) of discussion could potentially be higher. As an ENTP you should appreciate this.

MBTI
    type

Which pages are those if I have my post-view count set to 200?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Which pages are those if I have my post-view count set to 200?
    Oops. But you know what I meant.

MBTI
    INFP

It had it's own thread until you arbitrarily decided this thread should be about something completely different. It was neat until that point.

As for the cost, I find it's well worth it. And there's no page 2 or 3, only page one unless you're still going with the default posts per page setting.

Edit: Damn, RC beat me to it.