• I am unsure despite not being new to MBTI

3 1.24%
  • I identify as borderline

16 6.61%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Incidentally, does anyone find value in all the posts stating whether people's preferences are moderate or strong, etc.? To me they're just fluff drowning an otherwise [edit: potentially] interesting thread about the type distribution.
    I do and I don't.
    It's more interesting than people just posting their type, but i'm not sure that there's any substance to the theory that functions occur in measurable degrees...or more specifically, degrees that an individual can objectively measure. Even though I qualified my type like everyone else, I'm not sure that it's anything more than a current mood.
    I don't wanna!

I thought the basis of MBTI was that it's a preference theory - therefore it would seem logical that individuals can have strong, moderate or weak preferences?
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I thought the basis of MBTI was that it's a preference theory - therefore it would seem logical that individuals can have strong, moderate or weak preferences?
    It's not the existence of degrees of preferences that is unlikely, it is the possibility of individuals being able to objectively measure the degrees. That is assuming these elements of personality are innate.
    I don't wanna!

Hmm. I can see where you're coming from, but isn't the point of taking (recognised) tests that the individual doesn't choose their type or the strength of their preferences, objectively or otherwise, but that the results of the test tell them this?

Of course, this could then spin off into questioning the validity of MBTI tests
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post

Of course, this could then spin off into questioning the validity of MBTI tests
    yup. Consider that ISTJ is the most popular result among MBTI tests taken in a workplace setting. If personality is not innate, then people could be any number of personalities throughout their lifetime, and to determine the intensity of a given preference all you can go by is your mood at the time that you're thinking about it. (which still negates it as soon as you're in a different mood) But even if the personality elements of MBTI are innate, people will still occasionally go against their usual preferences based on things totally unrelated to the type theory. So a degree of preference is really just some vague, subjective measure of the number of times you do things a certain way versus the number of times you do them a different way for a huge, complex variety of different reasons.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Apropos this subtopic, I happened to find a website yesterday that had a series of briefs on MBTI. Of particular interest of the site's owner were what he (and/or his colleagues) call "out-of-pattern preferences," and whether anomalies qualified type or weakened the overall temperament theory.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Apropos this subtopic, I happened to find a website yesterday that had a series of briefs on MBTI. Of particular interest of the site's owner were what he (and/or his colleagues) call "out-of-pattern preferences," and whether anomalies qualified type or weakened the overall temperament theory.
    Peter Geyer is da bomb!
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Peter Geyer is da bomb!
    His approach is attractive, insofar as the MBTI benefits from probes, questions and challenges. The work is a bit thin, though. Can you -- or anyone else -- direct me to more online publications, by either Geyer or any one of his colleagues?

MBTI
    ERTP

The scientific way of measuring extroversion is actually as a continuum. As such we have a pretty strong hunch that E/I is graduated.

There's no place for the all-E or the all-I except for the asylum as Jung himslef points out.

The MBTI simplifies things for the sake of clarity. Wheater you can life with that simplification is entirely up to you but eigther way you should be aware of it.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    The scientific way of measuring extroversion is actually as a continuum. As such we have a pretty strong hunch that E/I is graduated.

There's no place for the all-E or the all-I except for the asylum as Jung himslef points out.

The MBTI simplifies things for the sake of clarity. Wheater you can life with that simplification is entirely up to you but eigther way you should be aware of it.
    Essentially, the dominant function of your temperament is either internally or externally focused, entirely so. If you appease it entirely, you will be in an asylum as you will be only externally or only internally focused. Most people will not do this and maintain some kind of a balance between their internally and externally focused functions.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/