User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Almost nothing annoys me more than a self-righteous vegan for whom it's like a religion that they can't keep to themselves. Regular vegans, minus the self-righteousness, are fine. I know plenty of those and I like them and I'll cook vegan for them when they visit me and talk to them about what it's like to be a vegan. But I have no desire to be one, or even a vegetarian. I eat everything in moderation and plan to keep on doing so. As long as people don't push their diet dogma on me, we'll be fine.

I subscribe to a produce delivery service and all the meat/dairy/eggs I buy are from small local sustainable farms. We don't actually eat that much meat (we do salmon once or twice a week, chicken once a week, and beef or bison maybe every other week) but we do eat eggs and dairy on a daily basis. Eggs are kind of a perfect food, IMO. Great source of protein, and can be cooked in so many ways. Daily consumption of eggs can lower blood pressure (I was put on a high-egg diet at the end of one of my pregnancies when my blood pressure began to rise, and it came down to acceptable levels within a few days), and the old argument about the cholesterol in eggs has been upended (they can make a bad diet worse or a good diet better, basically-- good diet defined as one with adequate protein and reasonable levels of grains and carbohydrates).

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yeah smart shopping seems essential; beans, rice, grains and nuts offer certain amino acids but they don't add up to complete proteins like meats do. Hummus is another alternative but none of the alternatives are quite as convenient and can be more expensive, pound for pound, than a 'cheaper meat' like turkey.

I've tried a vegetarian diet, focusing mostly on fruits, veggies, and beans. I made it for about a month until I caved and ate a burger. At a certain point, the body starts to reflexively dictate what you put in it, but I'm thinking that I have more discipline these days.
    From my research, there are two plants that contain complete proteins: Quinoa and Soy - hence the popularity of tofu and ilk.

As for the other plants, your body is supposedly amazing at putting these different aminos together to form complete protein chains and fuel your body, so as long as you eat a variety of different foods (and if you're going plant-based, you really should coz there is such a world of flavours out there), you should be good.

I'm taking a year atm to try out going vegan and I do find that meat is the hardest to give up due to it being the star in traditional cooking and it having a very distinct satiating effect. Plants do the trick just as well but...in a way more subtle way and the satiation is less..immediate but more long-lasting, ime. I've gotten to the point where I eat vegan a couple a days a week now, but all I'm doing is adding foods for now, instead of subtracting any. I find though that you naturally fall into a routine once you find foods you like to integrate them and well..forget about those that are less important to you of the traditional variety (milk for me, for instance - soy and almond milk <33).

The hardest will be the old nostalgic favourites from my childhood, from what Ive noticed so far and they'll probably be the last to go
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Almost nothing annoys me more than a self-righteous vegan for whom it's like a religion that they can't keep to themselves. Regular vegans, minus the self-righteousness, are fine. I know plenty of those and I like them and I'll cook vegan for them when they visit me and talk to them about what it's like to be a vegan. But I have no desire to be one, or even a vegetarian. I eat everything in moderation and plan to keep on doing so. As long as people don't push their diet dogma on me, we'll be fine.
    I've never met a self righteous vegan, but I've met several self righteous meat eaters.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've never met a self righteous vegan, but I've met several self righteous meat eaters.
    OMG, the self righteous meat eaters are just the worst. I mean, do you REALLY think I've never heard the "I'm going to eat four times as much cow to make up for your vegetarian habits" line before? And do you think it's still funny the 200th time you say it?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I've met both parties and each one of them misses the point since they make eating habits about what it's not about: putting others down to feel better about yourself.

(Personal reasons for going vegan inside spoiler.)

@senza tema I hope you pointed out to them that they'll never make it; they'll eat themselves into a heart-attack by 60 with that kind of goal, which significantly shortens their timeframe to do damage. I'd wish them a pleasant coronary
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Ginkgo

I love all of you right now.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I think avocado has replaced meat in my diet. I know it doesn't have protein, but it's so satisfying to eat. (tofu, beans, peanut butter, cheese, and eggs make up most of the gap)
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's true, avocado is amazing! I just had an egg sandwich with half an avocado on it. I could live on those.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I actually went vegan for about six months a while back. I did it for health reasons but it didn't improve my health. I felt terrible and was hungry literally all the time. I have a history of eating disorder and it really lit up while I was trying to be a vegan. If someone feels better and is healthier on a vegan diet, wonderful- but it's not the case for everyone.