User Tag List

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Plant-based diets suit me because they're also a part of my ancestral diet to a large extent, and I think that does play a role.
    I think this does make a larger influence than people realize. I thought it was crazy that I was actually gaining weight eating a raw vegan diet more frequently.. I felt the same in terms of physical and mental health as when I was eating foods much higher in fat and meat content, but I was actually gaining weight.

Right now I've backtracked a bit, and started doing soups and salads along healthier versions of familiar meals, and that's thinned me out a bit again almost immediately and stopped some of the stomach problems I was having before.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I've seen very healthy vegetarians & others who became extremely anemic despite following a careful diet. My ex's friend had a family history where people were exceptionally prone to anemia & some other issues. He became a vegetarian (or vegan, can't recall) for his new gf. Eventually, he developed extreme fatigue as well as erectile dysfunction (early 20s). His doctor's prescription: "Go eat a hamburger." He did, and never returned to the herbivore lifestyle. Needless to say, the veggie gf didn't protest.
    ^^This was my experience with it...although I wouldn't label the anemia, fatigue and erectile dysfunction as having been extreme (but they were definitely 'present.') And I gained weight in a way that did not feel strong or healthy and was instructed by my physician to do the same (basically "eat a cheeseburger.")

And so today I do eat meat but very little...and I make sure I know what local organic farm that meat is coming from...which Smileyman is is insanely expensive but where I live not really any worse than organic fruits and vegetables. I'm really sensitive to diet I've found...chemicals, genetically modified crap, and need to stay away from too much salt or sugar.

I'm not really thrilled about eating meat but...have stopped worrying about it.

Oh and I like how you somehow knew to tag me in this thread Ginkgo because I don't think I've ever talked about this before.
    Through every forest, above the trees
    Within my stomach, scraped off my knees
    I drink the honey inside your hive
    You are the reason I stay alive

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Anyway I hike at high altitudes, ski, play contact sports, planning to do a triathlon this summer. I have never found it to be a limitation on what I want to do physically. Perhaps if I wanted to be like a body builder or something... but I think @wolfy even mentioned a veg weight lifter, so seems like it could be doable, just maybe a little more work.
    Bill Pearl is a vegetarian bodybuilder. Lacto-ovo. He only became so later in life though, he was 39.

5w6 sp/so
    SLI None

I'm not a vegetarian but I'm often with a vegetarian and so I learn to eat as a vegetarian when I'm with the vegetarian. I like meat. I threw up eating meat a few days ago and was highly nauseous. Probably food poisoning. Vegetarianism looked wonderful then. I ate chicken the day after. I'm now mostly eating almonds because I'm trying to protect my financial security.

937 sp/sx

I stopped eating most meat almost a year ago, and I also try to avoid buying eggs and dairy that come from factory farms. I feel a lot better physically, and I no longer have that cognitive dissonance that came from believing in nonviolence/minimizing harm while also eating meat.

One of my favorite books about vegetarianism is The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony by Will Tuttle, but it might be sort of hippie-dippy for some people's tastes.
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

Senior Member Array
    4w5 sp/so
    INFj Ne

Why people still eat meat is beyond me. It's cruel, more polluting, unhealthy as well as unappetizing. Complete morality is impossible without veganism, to eat meat is arrogant and obnoxious. Everyone go vegan for a better world!

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    Everyone go vegan for a better world!

Certified Sausage Smoker Array Elfboy's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    Why people still eat meat is beyond me.
    simple: it tastes good

It's cruel, more polluting, unhealthy as well as unappetizing
    speak for yourself

Complete morality is impossible without veganism, to eat meat is arrogant and obnoxious.

Everyone go vegan for a better world!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    simple: it tastes good
    Sex is one of the greatest things I know. Is it therefore okay for me to rape someone?

EDIT: I realized that's not how you justified eating meat, but simply giving a reason why. Anyway, I think it's an interesting question, and if you think it's justified to eat meat because it tastes good, feel free to answer.