User Tag List

First 2634353637 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It is a way of eating that balances carbs, fat and protein. So, for example 40% of caloric intake comes from carbs 30% from fat and 30% from protein. You can play with/change those percentages depending upon what you want to accomplish (loss fat/gain muscle).

It is used in conjunction with exercise. I believe it came from the body building community.
    I like the IIFYM method (If It Fits Your Macros). I don't do it, except I have a protein target that I try to hit daily, but I pretty much let fats and carbs fall where they may. Tend to go over what Myfitnesspal "prescribes" for me in terms of fat, and under on carbs, but as long as I get the protein I don't feel hungry at my target calorie goal. Doesn't seem to matter where the carbs and fat land.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

I was a vegan for almost 1 year for ethical reasons. Couldn't do it anymore. I just love meat too much. It called me. It called my name...

To be honest, I could go without eggs and dairy a lot easier than without meat.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I like the IIFYM method (If It Fits Your Macros). I don't do it, except I have a protein target that I try to hit daily, but I pretty much let fats and carbs fall where they may. Tend to go over what Myfitnesspal "prescribes" for me in terms of fat, and under on carbs, but as long as I get the protein I don't feel hungry at my target calorie goal. Doesn't seem to matter where the carbs and fat land.
    Not to derail but you should get the mymacros app. You have to pay but it is SO worth it. I try to get within 3% of each goal area. Sometimes, I have to rearrange my meals to fit but I don't feel deprived in any way. It does help with portion control more than anything and if you are craving something? eat it then plan your other meals around/to fit your macros. I love it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

I would love to become a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons. Meat is my least favorite food group and I don't think I'd miss it a whole lot. However...buffalo kickers. I'm just not willing to give those up.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1

Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I've been vegan for six months and five days now, yay.

The only thing that's been tough is to not kill spiders when they're hanging over my head at night. It really, really is hard.
    Leisurely > Sensitive > Solitary
    Si / Fi / Fe
    Johari / Nohari / Tumblr
    Likes riva, Flâneuse, Amargith, N/A, CitizenErased liked this post

I was vegan for a few months because I wanted to see if that'd help with my health issues. It ended pretty fast when I came to accept the fact that I don't really like fruits and barely tolerate veggies. Mad respect for people that do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    I would love to become a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons. Meat is my least favorite food group and I don't think I'd miss it a whole lot. However...buffalo kickers. I'm just not willing to give those up.
    I have a friend who is vegetarian except for bacon!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes themightyfetus, Beorn, JocktheMotie liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, there's no reason it has to be all-or-nothing. It's not like there's some Central Vegetarian Agency vetting everybody who says they want to be vegetarians to make sure they really don't eat ANY meat at all.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Flâneuse, gromit, Beorn liked this post

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I practice vegetarianism because I believe it is morally optimal to minimize harm done, both direct and indirect, to other conscious beings. Who am I to decide, based on my own subjective criteria of value, that any conscious creature is worthless enough to be killed just so I can have a meat entree when I don't need it?** I think in an ideal world, any being that can feel, think and experience (and animals certainly do, just in different ways than people) would be treated with compassion, and as ends in themselves rather than as objects to be exploited. However, I also try to balance this (probably kooky-sounding) idealism with some realism; we have been largely omnivorous for most of our history and our nutritional needs suggest we adapted to eat both plant and animal foods (I choose to get nutrients like creatine and B12 from supplements, which not everyone has access to), not everyone can be vegetarian (for example, people with nutrient absorption problems) and there have been and will continue to be circumstances where some people have to use other creatures for their own health and survival. I'm aware that the domestication of animals for food, trade and work, which undoubtedly contributed to their suffering, was a huge step up in the development of complex human civilizations. Also, people living off the land in the certain environments (like northern Canada, the Mongolian steppes, and the Tibetan plateau) pretty much have to eat meat to avoid malnutrition because their choices for plant-based food are far more limited than in warmer or wetter climates. And some people may just feel a lot better when they eat some animal protein and decide an omnivorous diet is best for them. I might wonder if they just need a supplement or two or if they need to do more research about how to eat a balanced vegetarian diet, but ultimately their diet is none of my business and if they feel they need meat to feel healthy, I can't blame them for eating it.

**As silly as this thought experiment may sound, it's part of what urged me to adopt my current ideals about respecting all conscious life, no matter how simple. If a race of super-intelligent aliens, as different from us as we are from mice, invaded Earth, would it be justifiable for them to kill and eat us if it's not necessary for their health or survival? If you use the same arguments many people use to justify animal slaughter (which often boil down to, "they're not like us, they're not as complex and aware as we are"), it would be contradictory to say the aliens would be unjustified in choosing to eat people.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    The only thing that's been tough is to not kill spiders when they're hanging over my head at night. It really, really is hard.
    I feel your pain, I'm in my fourth year of being a vegetarian and I still struggle with this. I admit it is handy to have a cat around... until that cat starts chasing the poisonous ones.
    Night is another candle
    Likes riva liked this post