User Tag List

First 253334353637 Last

Results 341 to 350 of 362

Thread: Vegetarianism

  1. #341
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Oh yeah. My Blendtec is my BFF. But I'm still not a vegetarian.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  2. #342
    breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    6,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh yeah. My Blendtec is my BFF. But I'm still not a vegetarian.
    I want a Blendtec.... the "will it blend" videos are awesome....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

    -------------------

    Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

    9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

    ----------------------

    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

  3. #343
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    It's exactly as awesome as it seems.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

  4. #344
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh yeah. My Blendtec is my BFF. But I'm still not a vegetarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    I want a Blendtec.... the "will it blend" videos are awesome....
    You could have had a V8.

    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  5. #345
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    While I'm not a dietician, I've read enough contradictory information about the "complete protein" idea to cast doubt on that as a hard and fast fact. And the personal evidence in my life over a decade and a half indicates that eating a variety of nutrient-dense plant foods (with occasional dairy/egg) is sufficient for micro and macro nutrient needs even at high levels of physical exertion.
    Interesting you say this as most people eat more meat than they *should*. Technically, a portion of meat protein is 4oz. Hardly anyone eats only that.

    I'm not a vegetarian (and choose not to be) but any way of eating that gets someone researching nutrition and what goes in their body is only a good thing to me.

    For me, I follow macros and what it tells me is a diet more reliant on fresh greens, less preservatives is foundational to eating well. Both in caloric intake, fiber and vitamins. But balance is key (redundant - hello macros) as well as exercise.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  6. #346
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    @MDP2525 what do you mean by macros?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #347
    Clean Slate CitizenErased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    567

    Default

    I've been a vegetarian since I started eating when I was a baby. Not because my parents made me, but because I would spit the meat. Then I saw a cow being skinned and my resolve became stronger. Now I only eat fish once a month (if I remember to do so).

    Regardless of the debate about proteins and blahblahblah, the main issue is that "carnivorous" people think we can only eat salad. Lettuce is just one of thousands of ingredients and salad is just one of thousands of meals. Even raw vegans can eat delicious meals which have unimaginable flavours to those who dismiss that kind of diet.

    About it being viable, it definitely is. I'm not a vegetarian evangelist, but I'd like to mention that my father began a vegetarian diet, a conscientous diet, and now he doesn't need any insulin for his diabetes. I get checked and do bloodworks every 6 months and I don't even have anaemia.

    Maybe it takes more time in the kitchen to prepare something that looks more appealing for others than a steak, but if one decides to invest time in health and creativity, it's a healthy diet, and I recommend it, 21 years of experience, and never got bored of it.

    And yes, I'm from Argentina and never touched McDonald's food. My groceries are organic. I CHOOSE what to ingest, I know how cheese is not cheese, how sausages have cornstarch and the transgenic soy. I'm often startled by how people who eat meat have the need to attack those who believe their vegetarian/vegan diet is healthier, and use proteins and iron or zinc to "protect" themselves. No one will convince the other, so just learn from each other and just accept our stubborness.

    Gentle advice from the gal who has been mocked her entire life for not participating in asados.
    MBTI: INTP (though I'm PINT-sized) * Ti = Ne > Fi > Ni > Si > Te = Se >>> Fe
    Enneagram: 5w4 - 4w5 - 1w9 sp/sx * 5 > 4 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 9 > 2
    Socionics: LII - Ne
    SLOAN: Rc|U|EI
    Holland Code: AIE
    Temperament: Melancholic/Choleric
    House: Slytherin
    Oldham's: Idiosyncratic/Solitary

    Omnis res est se ipsa singularis et per nihil aliud
    Likes gromit liked this post

  8. #348
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    @MDP2525 what do you mean by macros?

    It is a way of eating that balances carbs, fat and protein. So, for example 40% of caloric intake comes from carbs 30% from fat and 30% from protein. You can play with/change those percentages depending upon what you want to accomplish (loss fat/gain muscle).

    It is used in conjunction with exercise. I believe it came from the body building community.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes gromit, Ivy liked this post

  9. #349
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErased View Post
    I've been a vegetarian since I started eating when I was a baby. Not because my parents made me, but because I would spit the meat. Then I saw a cow being skinned and my resolve became stronger. Now I only eat fish once a month (if I remember to do so).

    Regardless of the debate about proteins and blahblahblah, the main issue is that "carnivorous" people think we can only eat salad. Lettuce is just one of thousands of ingredients and salad is just one of thousands of meals. Even raw vegans can eat delicious meals which have unimaginable flavours to those who dismiss that kind of diet.

    About it being viable, it definitely is. I'm not a vegetarian evangelist, but I'd like to mention that my father began a vegetarian diet, a conscientous diet, and now he doesn't need any insulin for his diabetes. I get checked and do bloodworks every 6 months and I don't even have anaemia.

    Maybe it takes more time in the kitchen to prepare something that looks more appealing for others than a steak, but if one decides to invest time in health and creativity, it's a healthy diet, and I recommend it, 21 years of experience, and never got bored of it.
    The best salad I ever had was raw vegan. So much flavor.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  10. #350
    Clean Slate CitizenErased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    The best salad I ever had was raw vegan. So much flavor.
    Yes!! Here in Buenos Aires you have tons of places where you can find strictly raw vegan food. You can eat a lot and it's even tastier than whatever you can grab in a "normal" restaurant!
    MBTI: INTP (though I'm PINT-sized) * Ti = Ne > Fi > Ni > Si > Te = Se >>> Fe
    Enneagram: 5w4 - 4w5 - 1w9 sp/sx * 5 > 4 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 9 > 2
    Socionics: LII - Ne
    SLOAN: Rc|U|EI
    Holland Code: AIE
    Temperament: Melancholic/Choleric
    House: Slytherin
    Oldham's: Idiosyncratic/Solitary

    Omnis res est se ipsa singularis et per nihil aliud
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Vegetarian, scientist, or serial killer?
    By Gauche in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
  2. Vegetarian? Why?
    By G-Virus in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 03:50 AM
  3. Vegetarians anyone?
    By metaphours in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 11:43 PM
  4. Vegetarian/Veganism
    By The Decline in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  5. Know any good vegetarian/vegan recipes?
    By TK* in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO