User Tag List

First 233132333435 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    That sentence doesn't make sense.
    It's evocative. It evokes the wonder that we turn food into ourselves. It is taken for granted every day and without knowing how we do it, we perform a miracle every day. So with the sentence, what we eat today walks and talks tomorrow, we step outside the taken for granted into wonder.
    Last edited by Mole; 12-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You can't be serious, you came into this thread making a flat statement that it was "wrong" instead of something more informed or objective (not for me, I don't understand it, I'm concerned about protein or vitamin B12, you know things a real NTJ might say)...then stuck around and argued with people on your personal feelings, giving less solid information to back your claims than myself, and I'm an FP. The comical part comes when you start saying you checkmated people and that I better not judge you.

How about you actually learn something about vegetarianism, about its history, about nutrition, before you start insisting you're right because your grandfathers fought for you to eat meat (that's absolutely bullshit, I think you're probably Eastern European, peasants frequently raised pigs of their own, and the agricultural beginning of man are in that general region and east and south, my recent ancestry traces me to agricultural diet through my blood type, a very vegetarian diet with limited animal protein, and goat cheese instead of cows milk)...i could see you possibly making such a statement if your grandfathers were cattle ranchers from Texas or Argentina (are you from Argentina? ) but just know, that's culture, and it in no way negates the cultural validity or nutritional profile of a balanced vegetarian diet. You aren't even arguing over ethical or ecological motives, you just said it was wrong and makes people unhealthy, which is just your personal opinion and incorrect, in that order.

EDIT: the reason I guess you are from Eastern Europe is because your prejudice against vegetarian diets and reasoning reek of the older generation there, despite your French name and young photo, your reasoning falls along the lines of eating meat for class status and ignorant terror that lack of meat will make you immediately sick.

I’d suggest you give me your opinion about the thoughts I had expressed through my words instead of judging me.
    You can make a thread about me and how I etc.
    I’m still waiting for you to tell me what’s wrong about my opinion, I had shown you what’s wrong about vegetarianism AKA the actual topic.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

I don't think I could ever be a veg -- there's really no way to prepare 'em that compares with halfway decent bacon.

...I think I could be a carbohydratarian, though. Jumpin' Jeebus, do I love my pasta!

More seriously, I occasionally think about going veg. I even think that it's entirely likely sometime in the distant future that people will look back on eating meat much like we look upon cannibalism. I love beans and well-prepared tofu -- especially the littlest bits that fall to the bottom of the wok and get super crispy. I think that if I were living with a veg SO I could give it an honest shot. But as of yet, I just haven't had the motivation to give meat the ol' heave-ho.
    Likes Ivy, Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post

I’d suggest you give me your opinion about the thoughts I had expressed through my words instead of judging me.
    You can make a thread about me and how I etc.
    I’m still waiting for you to tell me what’s wrong about my opinion, I had shown you what’s wrong about vegetarianism AKA the actual topic.
    Yeah you are making a really dumb blanket statement about vegetarianism being wrong, versus giving any sort of academic or scientific evidence, instead of saying something rational like "it's not for me " or "I like bacon" or "where do you get your protein." Your posts are disrespectful and antiintellectual.
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah you are making a really dumb blanket statement about vegetarianism being wrong, versus giving any sort of academic or scientific evidence, instead of saying something rational like "it's not for me " or "I like bacon" or "where do you get your protein." Your posts are disrespectful and antiintellectual.

Evidence, scientific or not, is what you should give about the whole idea.

No I’m not, and yes they’d but it would cause many health problems and their choice is incorrect.
    I say that’s solving a problem by another mistake = double problem = urge to a hero = born of a genius.
    So like life.
    What are the health problems it would cause and why do you think their choices are incorrect?

If vegetarianism causes health problems Hindus would have extinct a thousand years ago, atleast the hindu brahmins. But they keep on living, producing and spreading.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria, gromit liked this post

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Aside form that, there’s no better or more effective way to help humanity and earth than being a healthy positive human.
    How do billions of people share the same definition of "healthy" and "positive", and "healthy" and "positive" at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I have heard of artificially inseminated but never heard it called forced bred.
    So you would buy and eat ethically raised meat?
    Of course there is forced bred, forced fed meat. Look at the insane demands every day, hence the insane methods. I'm fortunate enough to have been born and to have lived the most part of my life in a country where people demand to know how their food was grown/ fed and where everything comes from.

------

I've read about how animals are injected and fed with GMO, overly fed, can barely walk or breathe because their bones are too weak to carry their GMOed body mass, eat and shit on and all over each other for there is no space to fit too many of them, how cows are so forced and overly milked that their breasts become swollen, infected and they drag their breasts around like bags of cancer under their bellies, waiting to be killed one day for being too old and serving no beneficial purposes. Honestly, I think human beings can ignore the pain of any other species for the existence of their own. Some folks do answer "Yes" to the question "If human meat is the last resort for surviving, would you eat it?"

I have great admiration for people who choose to be vegetarian (and not because of the trend). Why. Because meat is delicious, meat is tempting and meat is filling. I love a good steak, a lamb and stout stew or a chicken cacciatore sometimes. However, I eat more vegetables than most people I know and I'm making attempts at substituting some animal products with vegetables or fish in daily cooking. I know for certain that if more people are committed to consuming less meat and more vegetables, there will be no need to force breed, force feed, GMO feed animals. Of course, there are other issues that concern none-meat eaters too, GMO, unsustainability, and fishing issues.

There are in fact people who cannot obtain necessary nutrition from just vegetables. However, for a completely normal human being, it's ignorant to claim that not eating meat is bad for you. Think of the people who practice Hinduism or Buddhism, and live a long healthy life. Think of the protein, minerals and fiber one can get from mushrooms, lentils, beans, peas, tofu, root fruits, grains, nuts, hundreds of types of fruits and greens, herbs and spices, yogurt and cheese too if you're not a vegan or a very strict vegetarian.

I plan to build an eating habit that is close to pescetarianism, with hope that I can minimize animal products intake, sub meat with seafood and increase vegetable intake. Instead of butter on toast in the morning, I've had soft avocado and a pinch of sea salt on toast. I've made hemp milk before. I lub lub lub almond milk, non GMO soy milk and even peanut milk.

The existence of one being that requires the suffering of another is for sure not a very healthy thing.

Note:
    I love homemade pesto with linguini and cherry tomatoes, but I just recently tried making this julienned zucchini with pesto and it was fantastic!

This baked spaghetti squash with butter and garlic too

These stunning kimchee wraps

Or these fresh tofu wraps with cashew sauce

And these grilled avocado, black beans and goat cheese tacos

I still do need to try authentic Indian food to see how absolutely amazing vegetarian food can be.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes Legion liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    What are the health problems it would cause and why do you think their choices are incorrect?

If vegetarianism causes health problems Hindus would have extinct a thousand years ago, atleast the hindu brahmins. But they keep on living, producing and spreading.

Health problems like lack of essential nutrients such as:

1) Iron. Plant sources contain a significant amount of iron, but in non heme form, which is more sensitive to inhibitors than iron that comes from animal products. You should do two things to increase your blood-iron levels: 1) consume more plant iron; and 2) avoid absorption inhibitors, such as red wine, tea, coffee, and fiber.

2) Zinc. Whereas non-vegetarian diets seem to enhance the absorption of zinc, vegetarian and vegan diets do the exact opposite–they inhibit it. Nutritionists suggest that you can overcome this by consuming more foods that contain zinc, such as soybeans, cashews, and sunflower seeds while reducing your intake of inhibitors by washing vegetables and grains.

3) Calcium. Vegetarians can easily consume an adequate amount of calcium without any dietary additions, but it is also important that vegetarians avoid consuming certain foods that are high in oxalates, which inhibit calcium absorption. There is a suggestion from some dieticians that vegetarians should not consume spinach, beet greens, and swiss chard as the calcium component of a meal plan. While they are rich in calcium, they also contain high amounts of oxalates.

Rather than consuming those foods for calcium, vegetarians should consider other options, such as soy yogurt, tofu, beans, almonds, and calcium-fortified foods.

Vitamin B-12

Many vegetarians lack vitamin B-12, simply because it does not exist naturally in any non-animal forms. Vegetarians should seek out vitamin B-12 fortified foods, such as certain soy milks and cereals to supplement what they lack.

As outlined earlier, there are a number of essential nutrients vegetarians can overlook of they do not research and plan their diet properly. This information is not meant to discourage you from considering becoming a vegetarian, but instead to encourage you to spend a little time planning a healthy approach to your vegetarian diet before starting it.

If properly thought out and planned adequately, a vegetarian diet can not only make up for what it lacks from animal products, but it can far exceed the healthfulness of most non-vegetarian diets.

Now the logic here, why avoid meat to provide these nutrients?
    These’s too much unnecessary effort.
    Likes countrygirl liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    How do billions of people share the same definition of "healthy" and "positive", and "healthy" and "positive" at what cost?

Healthy is not not being vegan.
    I never said that. ;)

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Healthy is not not being vegan.
    I never said that.
    Your response is completely irrelevant to anything I wrote.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |