User Tag List

First 223031323334 Last

Results 311 to 320 of 362

Thread: Vegetarianism

  1. #311
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    I am not a vegi and i can't imagine myself ever becoming one.

    It said however that humans are naturally vegetarians. There were some scientific reasons to back it up.

    Some say that vegetarians don't get the proper nutrients mothers and children require which would lead to infancy deaths.. This is obviously innacurate because india (hindhus) has a large percentage of vegetarians and they have one of the largest national populations in the world.
    .
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

  2. #312
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I wish I could afford ethically raised beef. Nor can I afford organic veggies and fruits. But I need to eat and feed my family which includes a variety of foods but no wheat (due to personal health reasons). I do drink almond milk but not as a staple due to the cost.

    This has been a interesting thread, everyone has an opinion and this is a good place to voice it.
    Ok. That's cool. However, some people might say to you that eating gluten free is bs, or that no actually you don't have to feed your family meat, the same if someone attacks vegetarianism. ...whether the person follows either or any diet for health or cultural or philosophical reasons or whatever. I don't go around irl trying to convert people, I would probably save my energy for attacking big brain washing campaigns (like got milk) than having personal arguments with roommates or friends. The written platform, on the other hand, is fair game, because I am going to put what I know to be true out there, because it's fair to express ideas and inform people do they can make their own choices, there are alternatives to the mainstream. The ecological aspect of it is the most important to me, because it concerns all of humanity. It doesn't mean I going to scream at my neighbor or throw blood on a stranger, but I think dissent is absolutely necessary in the current food climate and it affects SO MANY THINGS that I will not play the role of the apologetic silent vegetarian, either. And no, I don't think I could marry someone who ate bacon on ice cream. I have friends who were raised vegetarian by their parents, and I certainly do not think they were abused in any way, most parents do what they think is best for their children. It just astounds me though that people will sometimes criticize a vegetarian diet before they would a junk food diet, and it's largely nothing more than cultural conditioning and I have to call intentional campaigns by the government and food industry out on that, it's not just tradition. If it were merely traditional, people would still eat porridge, brown bread, poached eggs, and only have a rump roast on Sundays.

  3. #313
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,988

    Default

    I look at it like this: Eat what you want, and let others eat what they want.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  4. #314
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    I believe that we should not doom animals to a life of unnatural suffering, that we should not engage in practices that harm the environment.

    Yet I am having a hard time making the commitment to become vegetarian. =/

  5. #315
    noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH Mademoiselle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Your argument in this last post is that vegans or vegetarians will have health problems. You are spreading misinformation and really aren't making any valid points, the end. You didn't have to come to a thread marked vegetarian. Sometimes I swear to Christ, meat eaters are like the worst of conservative Christians: they're such Nazis about their own traditional beliefs that they refuse to take responsibility when they are the antagonist in the situation, blaming the non Christian or vegetarian. Your whole attitude is piss poor, you actually told someone you had checkmated them on why vegetarian diet is wrong. It's ignorant, you are promoting ignorance.

    Since when meat-eaters were so alike when relating them to religion?
    I see no clear point.
    Don’t swear just say what’s right.
    Ignorant you say?
    take a look at our conversation without holding any emotions yet.
    And talking about checkmate is something one day you might get.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

  6. #316
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I look at it like this: Eat what you want, and let others eat what they want.
    What we eat today walks and talks tomorrow.

  7. #317
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post

    Since when meat-eaters were so alike when relating them to religion?
    I see no clear point.
    Don’t swear just say what’s right.
    Ignorant you say?
    take a look at our conversation without holding any emotions yet.
    And talking about checkmate is something one day you might get.
    You can't be serious, you came into this thread making a flat statement that it was "wrong" instead of something more informed or objective (not for me, I don't understand it, I'm concerned about protein or vitamin B12, you know things a real NTJ might say)...then stuck around and argued with people on your personal feelings, giving less solid information to back your claims than myself, and I'm an FP. The comical part comes when you start saying you checkmated people and that I better not judge you.

    How about you actually learn something about vegetarianism, about its history, about nutrition, before you start insisting you're right because your grandfathers fought for you to eat meat (that's absolutely bullshit, I think you're probably Eastern European, peasants frequently raised pigs of their own, and the agricultural beginning of man are in that general region and east and south, my recent ancestry traces me to agricultural diet through my blood type, a very vegetarian diet with limited animal protein, and goat cheese instead of cows milk)...i could see you possibly making such a statement if your grandfathers were cattle ranchers from Texas or Argentina (are you from Argentina? ) but just know, that's culture, and it in no way negates the cultural validity or nutritional profile of a balanced vegetarian diet. You aren't even arguing over ethical or ecological motives, you just said it was wrong and makes people unhealthy, which is just your personal opinion and incorrect, in that order.

    EDIT: the reason I guess you are from Eastern Europe is because your prejudice against vegetarian diets and reasoning reek of the older generation there, despite your French name and young photo, your reasoning falls along the lines of eating meat for class status and ignorant terror that lack of meat will make you immediately sick.

  8. #318
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I believe that we should not doom animals to a life of unnatural suffering, that we should not engage in practices that harm the environment.

    Yet I am having a hard time making the commitment to become vegetarian. =/

    You could simply eat more vegetarian meals and eat much more moderate quantities of animal products from humane sources (free range, organic, local or grass fed if you insist on eating beef, not the best thing even for your health unless you eat it like once or twice a week).

  9. #319
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What we eat today walks and talks tomorrow.
    What we eat today tomorrow affects more than our own bodies in this day and age, and certain people are having trouble wrapping their heads around that.

  10. #320
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What we eat today walks and talks tomorrow.
    That sentence doesn't make sense.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


Similar Threads

  1. Vegetarian, scientist, or serial killer?
    By Gauche in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
  2. Vegetarian? Why?
    By G-Virus in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 03:50 AM
  3. Vegetarians anyone?
    By metaphours in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 11:43 PM
  4. Vegetarian/Veganism
    By The Decline in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  5. Know any good vegetarian/vegan recipes?
    By TK* in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO