User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I would eat vegetarian food only from someone who is one, which I have, in order to give the best first impression. I think experimenting on this if it is seriously being considered as a life style change may be too risky.

I honestly don't know how viable it is, but I do know that when I spent money in order to buy the ingredients we enjoyed great dishes. I think the viability is mainly: smart shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Next I have to train you out of eating TWINKIES.
    LOL I *knew* he was talking about some girl he dated. I just didn't know it was YOU.

I recently had a dream in which some asshole was smiling and gloating as he threw baby foxes down a well. Even though many vegetarians may sophisticate their reasons for not eating meat, if ethics are concerned at all, it often boils down to a fundamental feeling of revulsion at the thought of eating something that once drew breath before being helplessly slaughtered.

On a slightly broader note, I think peoples' appetites tend to diminish more after preparing food than they would if the food was served to them from behind a curtain.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Next I have to train you out of eating TWINKIES.
    you can try, but you will never succeed
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Vegetarianism is for people who cannot afford ethical meat.
    Define "ethical".
    I've been a vegetarian for the greater part of my life (since ~ age 10), with sporadic lapses into meat eating. I changed over because I didn't like the taste, texture and smell of fish and red meat and decided one day that I just wasn't going to eat it anymore. I do really like chicken, but had the misfortune of growing up about a ten minute walk away from a chicken coop, where squawking birds were slaughtered, plucked and sold to customers on the spot. So I couldn't do that anymore either. Honestly, I find it very difficult to eat and enjoy meat in India when it is gapingly obvious where it comes from.

My lapses happened when I was living in the US, where there wasn't a living farm animal in sight and meat came presliced and packaged in clinical supermarket settings, and it was easier to forget where it was coming from. And sometimes, I eat meat when someone who is initially unaware of my dietary preferences or finds it difficult to accommodate for some other reason cooks for me with affection and offers it to me and would be mortified if I refused.

I'm increasingly moving away from that though. The longer I stay vegetarian, the less I can tolerate the idea of eating meat. Also, it's not hard to be vegetarian. Growing up in India, where good vegetarian food was available in copious quantities, I learned both how to cook it well and to make sure that it satisfies my nutritional requirements.

I will probably bring my (future) kids up to be vegetarian at home though what they eat outside (within limits) is their business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've been veg for almost 2 years now. It's my second attempt after doing it very poorly ~8 years ago and I'm happy with how it's going. I think it's very practical and viable when done right. You avoid a lot of the food borne illnesses in meat.

It's kind of a pain though, I was at a party a couple weeks ago and they bought pizza with all meat. I felt like a jerk when we went back out to get more on my account.
    What do/did you eat as an alternative, in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    you can try, but you will never succeed
    BACK OFF. HE'S MINE,

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Define "ethical".
    Expensive.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

BACK OFF. HE'S MINE,
    who? I specified a demographic, not an individual
    PS: didn't know you swung that way :P
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    who? I specified a demographic, not an individual
    PS: didn't know you swung that way :P
    I don't. It's just a gag. :c

I'm not a vegetarian, but I haven't come across any argument that I think justifies meat consumption.

I've thought about becoming one many times, and think that I eventually will, but until then, I'll admit to being lazy and uncaring.

What do/did you eat as an alternative, in general?
    Everything that's not meat/fish? I do eat eggs and dairy though (yogurt and cheese, I'm mildly allergic to milk itself), so I've never been fussed about getting enough protein. Though I do think this protein craze is a little too overhyped and I don't really obsess over getting enough.

I've also gone through long mostly vegan periods and never suffered for it. I eat a lot of beans and lentils and whole grains and veggies even otherwise and it suits me fine.

I don't think it's for everyone though, maybe. Plant-based diets suit me because they're also a part of my ancestral diet to a large extent, and I think that does play a role.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Chances are, you have a vegetarian friend or once had one. You've probably entertained the thought of becoming one as well.

What are your experiences with vegetarianism? Do you think it's good, bad, viable or impractical?
    Yeah, I've known vegetarians, as well as vegans, & dated a vegan. He tried to convert me- I dabbled, though, it was ineffective.

Providing the individuals educate themselves about nutrient needs in the human body, as well as which foods will provide the best quantities of these- perhaps even paying a visit to a nutritionist or taking a course on it- I see no issue with vegetarianism/veganism. I think the same applies for anyone, actually. Nutrition education is pretty piss poor in even well developed countries, it seems.

I've seen very healthy vegetarians & others who became extremely anemic despite following a careful diet. My ex's friend had a family history where people were exceptionally prone to anemia & some other issues. He became a vegetarian (or vegan, can't recall) for his new gf. Eventually, he developed extreme fatigue as well as erectile dysfunction (early 20s). His doctor's prescription: "Go eat a hamburger." He did, and never returned to the herbivore lifestyle. Needless to say, the veggie gf didn't protest.

It's likely I'll always eat fish & fowl (& the occasional buffalo). I have no desire to change that. I do try to buy from places where I know the animals are ethically treated, though, & not packed with hormones/fed garbage. There's something primal in the craving of flesh. I'm certain there's a physiological reason behind it, but in the end, it doesn't matter to me. I feel at my best when I have a balanced diet of fresh fruits/lots of veggies, nuts (mostly almonds), whole grains, and lean meats. I think, as per example with my ex's friend, we all have our own unique chemistry to some extent, so what combination of protein-based food works well for one body may not feel sufficient for the other. @senza tema mentions her ancestral diet; I do wonder if this plays a role. I've a primarily Native American (Blackfoot) & Scottish background- both well known for their dependence on hunting animals/keeping livestock. I found fishing & hunting my own animals (mostly deer), and cleaning/prepping/cooking them intensely satisfying when I was young. This could stem from a variety of instincts &/or external factors, of course.

So, overall, if vegetarianism works for some folks, great. I hope they properly educate themselves so they maintain the highest quality of life. And, I hope they don't spew moral agenda onto others about it. I think the Bible says something about "Thou shalt not suffer a PETA member to live," - something the that effect. Might've been about witches. Same thing, though.

One last thing- if you're a vegetarian/vegan, don't push that diet on your pets. Especially cats. They're carnivores out of necessity. It's a great way to kill your pet, and get yourself kicked in the head by me.
    Example: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutrition...s-kitten-30848
    Last edited by Lexicon; 04-28-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: because. kitties.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

I should note that I sprinkle nutritional yeast when I'm cooking foods like soup or pot pie or even sometimes popcorn, partly because it adds a nice savory ("umami") flavor, and partly because it provides some B vitamins.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.