User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

I could go for a steak right now. To each his own.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Lab grown meat is the future.

It doesn't involve killing any actually sentient animals, doesn't demand nearly as many resources as raising livestock, and you can still have your hamburgers and crap. All problems settled.

And of course if you just don't like eating meat, you can still go right ahead and do that.
    Why bother engaging reality at all?

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post

My suggestion is much closer to being practical at this point and raises vastly fewer philosophical concerns.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Lab meat kinda creeps me out personally. But I'm curious how you see reality fitting into this...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Lab meat kinda creeps me out personally. But I'm curious how you see reality fitting into this...
    because if not trees will run into our cars and trees are not insured. but sure if you want to live in not reality and deal with dipping into your uninsure motors banks go right ahead
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My suggestion is much closer to being practical at this point and raises vastly fewer philosophical concerns.
    Not with the guys I read.

There all sorts of things that a simple meal can communicate to us about our humanity, about the world we live in, and our place in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I believe food and humanity are inextricably united in this present world. My own religion makes use of food as a sacrament, a unique means by which God distributes grace to us. To take the production of food out of the realm of nature is to take humanity out of the realm of nature. The closer we are to the natural processes that bring us food the more we benefit and the firmer the grip we have on reality as we are attuned to the cycle of life and death, the changing of seasons, and the human sweat that brings our food about.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes countrygirl, Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post

No I’m not, and yes they’d but it would cause many health problems and their choice is incorrect.
    I say that’s solving a problem by another mistake = double problem = urge to a hero = born of a genius.
    So like life.
    How do you live with such profound ignorance? There are people who are lifelong vegans, not just vegetarians. I don't think you have anything of value to add to this thread. Albert Einstein was a vegetarian, and so was Tolstoy, it's not just a fad or a recent trend, there are entire cultures which are vegetarian.

3551c2caceb50feacd80c346bcc1e618.jpg

Not with the guys I read.

There all sorts of things that a simple meal can communicate to us about our humanity, about the world we live in, and our place in it.

I believe food and humanity are inextricably united in this present world. My own religion makes use of food as a sacrament, a unique means by which God distributes grace to us. To take the production of food out of the realm of nature is to take humanity out of the realm of nature. The closer we are to the natural processes that bring us food the more we benefit and the firmer the grip we have on reality as we are attuned to the cycle of life and death, the changing of seasons, and the human sweat that brings our food about.
    Ah so like processed food vs less processed. I gotcha. I mean we will always process to some extent, but like mashing up garbanzos for hummus is a lot closer to real living food sources than say easy mac (not that easy mac is not delicious)
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Beorn liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Oh the hypocrisy. It is perfectly possible to enjoy a diet that includes animal flesh without the health problems you mention. Poor genetics, and consumption of cured products, will increase your risk substantially, but a nice beef or fish steak every night won't kill you. There is nothing unnatural with killing other animals for food, all I'd ask is that it is done in a humane way (hence my opposition to kosher slaughter, for example). And dairy doesn't involve killing animals at all, so your rationale for avoiding milk and cheese is even more tenuous.

I would also ask where you can draw the line with such a worldview, after all plants are living organisms too, and we grow some of them specifically for food. You're really making a value judgement that because animals can feel pain, we shouldn't eat them. That doesn't cut it with me.

See above.

So now you're comparing consumption of all meat, fish, and dairy products with factory farming. Forgive me, but I must assume that you live in the U.S. and have never left it. Re deforestation, this is much more of an issue in developing countries, and the real reason for it is that they have too many children.
    So let's see, you don't see how deforestation in developing countries is a problem if you personally don't live there, and you ignored how I acknowledge that consuming limited amounts of animal products is fine as long as it's not factory farmed, but that vegetarianism is the cheaper option for many people. You obviously apparently don't understand what goes on in dairy and egg factory farming if you don't think that is a problem as well.

Children or no, pigs and cattle take up huge swaths of land, and they pollute the environment not just through methane gas but fecal matter and urine. I can see you haven't done a lot of reading on environmental reasons for being vegetarian, so you might want to do that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    So let's see, you don't see how deforestation in developing countries is a problem if you personally don't live there, and you ignored how I acknowledge that consuming limited amounts of animal products is fine as long as it's not factory farmed, but that vegetarianism is the cheaper option for many people. You obviously apparently don't understand what goes on in dairy and egg factory farming if you don't think that is a problem as well.
    Um what? That's the complete opposite of what I said. I just believe that deforestation in developed countries is a symptom of overpopulation. You also haven't suggested anywhere to date that you view free range meat in a much better light than factory-farmed meat. I am glad to be corrected!

Unlike you I suspect, I live ten minutes away from one of the country's biggest chicken farms. I am quite aware of what factory farming is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Children or no, pigs and cattle take up huge swaths of land, and they pollute the environment not just through methane gas but fecal matter and urine. I can see you haven't done a lot of reading on environmental reasons for being vegetarian, so you might want to do that.
    I like meat, and I'm not alone in having that preference, so instead of trying to radically change the West's eating culture without consent, if I were you I would just promote changes in farming practices (some of which are already happening, like fencing off rivers from stock). In that case we would be on the same side of the fence, so to speak.

There's lots of room in NZ for farming, just like there is in the US. Again unlike you I'm a nationalist, and don't view other countries' woes as something to become involved in unless they direct affect me.