User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    I'm not sure I understand you. A lot of religions worry about the treatment of animals so vegetarianism/veganism is nothing different.

At first and at least animals and vegetables are different.
    There’s more difference indeed.
    However the problem with treatment of animals is not solved by stop eating animals. duh.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh I just go to regular grocery stores, buy stuff like eggs/beans/cheese/peanut butter/nuts. Cheese and nuts can get pricey but the others are so affordable. The imitation meat products are pretty expensive though. And also so processed. So I don't get those a lot.

It's not a ton of work to scramble an egg. Or put PB on a slice of toast.
    I need something to replace meat, though. A meal doesn't seem whole to me without some piece of meat in it.
    Likes gromit liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

NRDC: Pollution from Giant Livestock Farms Threatens Public Health

hreats to Human Health

People who live near or work at factory farms breathe in hundreds of gases, which are formed as manure decomposes. The stench can be unbearable, but worse still, the gases contain many harmful chemicals. For instance, one gas released by the lagoons, hydrogen sulfide, is dangerous even at low levels. Its effects -- which are irreversible -- range from sore throat to seizures, comas and even death. Other health effects associated with the gases from factory farms include headaches, shortness of breath, wheezing, excessive coughing and diarrhea.

Animal waste also contaminates drinking water supplies. For example, nitrates often seep from lagoons and sprayfields into groundwater. Drinking water contaminated with nitrates can increase the risk of blue baby syndrome, which can cause deaths in infants. High levels of nitrates in drinking water near hog factories have also been linked to spontaneous abortions. Several disease outbreaks related to drinking water have been traced to bacteria and viruses from waste.

On top of this, the widespread use of antibiotics also poses dangers. Large-scale animal factories often give animals antibiotics to promote growth, or to compensate for illness resulting from crowded conditions. These antibiotics are entering the environment and the food chain, contributing to the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and making it harder to treat human diseases.Threats to the Natural Environment
    so yes there are options to buy from places that don't produce meat in factory farm settings but it's actually more expensive then going vegetarian. So that's the enviromental reason why people go vegetarian.

Threats to the Natural Environment

The natural environment also suffers in many ways from factory-farming practices. Sometimes the damage is sudden and catastrophic, as when a ruptured lagoon causes a massive fish kill. At other times, it is cumulative -- for example, when manure is repeatedly overapplied, it runs off the land and accumulates as nutrient pollution in waterways.

Either way, the effects are severe. For instance, water quality across the country is threatened by phosphorus and nitrogen, two nutrients present in animal wastes. In excessive amounts, nutrients often cause an explosion of algae that robs water of oxygen, killing aquatic life. One toxic microorganism, Pfiesteria piscicida, has been implicated in the death of more than one billion fish in coastal waters in North Carolina.

Manure can also contain traces of salt and heavy metals, which can end up in bodies of water and accumulate in the sediment, concentrating as they move up the food chain. And lagoons not only pollute groundwater; they also deplete it. Many factory farms use groundwater for cleaning, cooling and providing drinking water.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes gromit, Thalassa liked this post

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post

At first and at least animals and vegetables are different.
    There’s more difference indeed.
    However the problem with treatment of animals is not solved by stop eating animals. duh.
    No, the poor treatment isn't stopped by lack of consumption but it does bring attention to it and some people aren't comfortable knowing that the animal they ate was tortured to death.

Also, don't forget, Islam cares for the treatment of animals, too, it has its own rituals to ensure animals are treated as humanely as possible prior to death. Think about what Halal meat means.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I need something to replace meat, though. A meal doesn't seem whole to me without some piece of meat in it.
    Oooohkay I think I got you finally
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oooohkay I think I got you finally
    At the moment, I am a big fan of frosta meals. They produce high-quality, no-additives convenience food. My current favorite is the chicken paella:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    At the moment, I am a big fan of frosta meals. They produce high-quality, no-additives convenience food. My current favorite is the chicken paella:

That does look yummy
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Here's an interesting, pretty much unbiased article about the effects of different diets on the environment...
    Vegetarian or omnivore: The environmental implications of diet - The Washington Post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    People can be healthy without meat.
    I have not suggested that you must eat meat to be healthy - only that vegetarianism requires you to eat frequently and in many cases, take dietary supplements.

And here's a little factoid: anthropologists believe that one of the main advances in human evolution was a switch from a plant-based to omnivorous diet. Meat is much more energy-dense than plant matter, and this led to an increase in human cranial capacity (correlated with IQ).

MBTI
    INTP

so eating only veggies means one will devolve....hmmm....i guess we'l be seeing many homo erectus or homo habilis vegertarians then...
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....