User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm sure it's viable, tons of people do it very successfully. Even while doing hardcore marathon/ultramarathon training and being vegetarian for 6 months, I kept my iron levels in the upper end of the normal range. You just have to be careful, and know which foods to eat together, which foods help absorb nutrients, which foods block them, etc. The only problem I had with it is that I was eating all day. I literally never went an hour at home without shoveling food into my mouth. For most people, a fruit as a snack is like an apple or orange. I was eating entire watermelons, papayas, pineapples in one sitting...

I don't know if it were just a psychological thing, it seems like the only explanation for how much I was eating, but I couldn't stay full. I think someone made a good point about how people's bodies are different. It's definitely easier for some than others.

If good vegetarian food was cheaper and easier to get than it currently is, I would go vegetarian. Until then, animals will die for my laziness and stinginess.

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If good vegetarian food was cheaper and easier to get than it currently is, I would go vegetarian. Until then, animals will die for my laziness and stinginess.

Laziness is not eating anything at all.
    Because, ..
    Actually being a vegetarian is not lazy at all, you’ve got to make food out of all those wired things you’ve never heard of, and they’re from around the world.
    It’s quite a life time to figure out the delicious-healthy-affordable recipes.
    How come vegetarians can replace all those nutrients that aren’t in vegetables, without getting unhealthy.
    At least personally I cannot afford that.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

Gryffindor Prefect OneLovelyAdventure's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so

All of the vegetarians I know are very actively devoted to animal rights causes and other causes of the sort (the environment, etc.) My cousin is a vegetarian and she's a doll, but I have a vegetarian acquaintance who looks down on people who choose not to follow that lifestyle. That bothers me a lot.

As for me? I could never do it. Most of what I consume is meat.
    After all... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQM69FCp9cc
    "You can't help respecting anybody who can spell 'Tuesday,' even if he doesn't spell it right, but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling 'Tuesday' simply doesn't count." -- Winnie the Pooh

ENFP 3w2-7w6-8w7 sx/so
    Neutral Good | SLUAI | Sanguine-Choleric
    Gryffindor | Wampus
    Sagittarius Sun | Sagittarius Moon | Aquarius Rising

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Dannik View Post
    That is extremely incorrect.
    How so?

In fact, many people have poor diets because they believe meats to be a "power food" in the sense that you mean, and they use meat excessively in instances where it is not beneficial.
    Again; please explain.

P.S. I eat a substantial amount of meat.
    ...which kind of goes against the vibe of your post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

I've never felt better; haven't eaten meat in four years.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83
    Likes Noll liked this post

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

My diet didn't change drastically when I made the switch. I haven't had to worry about anaemia since my iron stores were high, although some day I will. I feel no different. I found that a vegetarian diet does cost more since the price of fruits and vegetables have increased but you could make up for the costs by going to farmers markets (if you live near them).

Vegan diets are expensive and resources were scarce (I lived in the country when I tried veganism) so it was difficult to stay on the diet for very long (I lasted three months, I think). I don't think I'm ready to do veganism again but vegetarianism has been very easy. I do get cravings at night but since I've been vegetarian for three years, I'm not affected by them.

My friend recently gave me a vegan candle she made, it made me very happy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I am no vegetarian, and can't imagine being one...I like eating meat too much

While it is possible to live in a vegetarian diet, meats are very energy-dense and have a nutrient profile that you'll struggle to get near without eating copious nuts, seeds and dairy (and vegans won't even touch that). Small wonder most end up having to take supplements. Also if you are wanting to build muscle, meat and fish are essential to boost your protein intake.
    People can be healthy without meat.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post

Laziness is not eating anything at all.
    Because, ..
    Actually being a vegetarian is not lazy at all, you’ve got to make food out of all those wired things you’ve never heard of, and they’re from around the world.
    It’s quite a life time to figure out the delicious-healthy-affordable recipes.
    How come vegetarians can replace all those nutrients that aren’t in vegetables, without getting unhealthy.
    At least personally I cannot afford that.
    Yeah. Super weird things... like beans and eggs and vegetables... where do those even come from? Not around here, that's for sure.

And those beans are so damn expensive compared to more affordable foods, like steak.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I'm guessing you mean prepared foods?

That is definitely a pain. I don't just want a buttload of pasta plus a couple veggies. Or to eat a salad for dinner. I want a balanced and filling meal if I'm paying to eat out. I can do it cheaply and deliciously on my own, but eating out is a totally different story.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.