User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Heheh agreed @bold!

I've definitely experienced my share of meat eaters scowling at me (even Christians quoting the bible at me haha)
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Yeah and this doesn't even make sense, because no one could make a case for eating meat being more ethical. People seem to think it's some sort of patriotic duty, which is whack. That whole Biblical hierarchy of God-angels-humans (man-woman)-animals-rest of nature has been used to justify all sorts of unethical and unjust things, and I'll leave it at that.
    The Bible contains mixed opinions about eating meat, kosher or non-kosher. It also tells you that you shouldn't sit in a chair that's been menstruated in, or to wear clothe of mixed fabrics. Because God forbid someone wear polyester.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I know some.. and I enjoy the idea and lifestyle. Or whatever.

I find the diet impractical. Cutting off an entire section of something on moral grounds is someone's personal concerns, and I'm okay with that, but no one is going to convince me I should suddenly be nice to cows anytime soon and stop eating their young.

There is a sense of .. snooty-ness I've gotten from many vegans.. vegetarians seem more laid back. Like, "Yeah, meat just hurts my stomach.. or I stopped x because of y reasons. Or my budget for food is just easier with vegetarian foods. I just dislike meat a lot." Something like that is usually what I get from vegetarians.

It's the vegans I get all the uppity snooty-ness vibes from. "Oh lord no, I won't even touch honey, because it came from an animal that's so endangered now from the pesticides and chemicals." Though, I sort of relish in the imaginary image in my head of being soaked in the blood of my enemies, which happen to be Diablo 2 cows, which I'm roasting on a spit and eating half cooked while vegans look on in horror.

With all that said, I think there's a lot of good done in the name of snooty foodies. Sometimes they take it too far, but someone really does need to care enough to make a fuss about things. I've been eating 50% raw vegan foods for the sake of simplicity and ease of cooking since starting school, and while it actually made me gain weight in comparison to other diets (just not enough protein apparently), I did feel a little better.

Anyone that tries shoving vegan stuff in my head as if I'm torturing chickens makes me want to go buy an entire chicken and cook it. I do think that food sources ought to be better, and more humane.. but I have a feeling vegans find 'more humane' to mean 'alive until dead, and then never touched after'.

The attitude I DO like lately more and more is eating what you kill only foodies, and the movement for pastured animals and farmers markets. I find it simplistic, practical, and that it aides local economy and health.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The attitude I DO like lately more and more is eating what you kill only foodies, and the movement for pastured animals and farmers markets. I find it simplistic, practical, and that it aides local economy and health.
    you live in texas. Ok we're gonna buy a farm, buy some cows, pigs, and chickens, some guns. we're gonna have people pay us for them to shoot which ever type they like, then we'll slaughter and prepare their selection for them. we're gonna become rich.prepare i mean cut it up into appropriate cuts of meat
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you live in texas. Ok we're gonna buy a farm, buy some cows, pigs, and chickens, some guns. we're gonna have people pay us for them to shoot which ever type they like. we're gonna become rich.
    Lots of people do that around here.. and yeah, it's fairly good money for those that get established. There's a farmer's market up the road here that sells half a pastured cow for $4.25 a lb.. 200 lbs of meat to purchase at a time minimum.. but you could pretty much eat for 2 years (or a year with a big family) off of that single purchase for all your cow-like needs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Lots of people do that around here.. and yeah, it's fairly good money for those that get established. There's a farmer's market up the road here that sells half a pastured cow for $4.25 a lb.. 200 lbs of meat to purchase at a time minimum.. but you could pretty much eat for 2 years (or a year with a big family) off of that single purchase for all your cow-like needs.
    we'll have a complimentary carnival
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I've been a vegetarian for the greater part of my life (since ~ age 10), with sporadic lapses into meat eating. I changed over because I didn't like the taste, texture and smell of fish and red meat and decided one day that I just wasn't going to eat it anymore. I do really like chicken, but had the misfortune of growing up about a ten minute walk away from a chicken coop, where squawking birds were slaughtered, plucked and sold to customers on the spot. So I couldn't do that anymore either. Honestly, I find it very difficult to eat and enjoy meat in India when it is gapingly obvious where it comes from.

My lapses happened when I was living in the US, where there wasn't a living farm animal in sight and meat came presliced and packaged in clinical supermarket settings, and it was easier to forget where it was coming from. And sometimes, I eat meat when someone who is initially unaware of my dietary preferences or finds it difficult to accommodate for some other reason cooks for me with affection and offers it to me and would be mortified if I refused.

I'm increasingly moving away from that though. The longer I stay vegetarian, the less I can tolerate the idea of eating meat. Also, it's not hard to be vegetarian. Growing up in India, where good vegetarian food was available in copious quantities, I learned both how to cook it well and to make sure that it satisfies my nutritional requirements.

I will probably bring my (future) kids up to be vegetarian at home though what they eat outside (within limits) is their business.

FigerPuppet

Vegetarianism is for people who cannot afford ethical meat.

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I would eat vegetarian food only from someone who is one, which I have, in order to give the best first impression. I think experimenting on this if it is seriously being considered as a life style change may be too risky.

I honestly don't know how viable it is, but I do know that when I spent money in order to buy the ingredients we enjoyed great dishes. I think the viability is mainly: smart shopping.
    Next I have to train you out of eating TWINKIES.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I've been veg for almost 2 years now. It's my second attempt after doing it very poorly ~8 years ago and I'm happy with how it's going. I think it's very practical and viable when done right. You avoid a lot of the food borne illnesses in meat.

It's kind of a pain though, I was at a party a couple weeks ago and they bought pizza with all meat. I felt like a jerk when we went back out to get more on my account.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

LadyLazarus

I hate most meat, I only really eat chicken and the gross mystery meats that are chorizo and pepperoni on occasion, all of which I only enjoy almost burnt to a crisp for some reason. Iron deficiency? I don't know and it's probably horrible for me. Other than that, I'm just really picky, not a vegetarian, but I do tell people that sometimes just so they won't ask why I don't like meat.