User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

but...but...the plants don't scream!! so they feel less pain!
    and..and... they don't have red blood!!!
    /argument
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    /argument
    welp, might as well go for the tasty.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am vegetarian, have been since the Fall of 1998, and yes I think it is viable. A former boss of mine [from summer 1999] was a vegetarian bodybuilder [from Kansas! and thoroughly conservative]. I am physically active, have been for a long time, and live in Colorado and routinely spend time up in the mntns, like 9000-11000 ft elevation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

/argument
    Exactly.

Lacto-vegetarian. Half of it is an ethical decision and half of it is that meat & eggs kind of creep me out. Those two halves seem to reinforce one another in an infinite loop of do not want.

Once before, I was a vegan for a while simply because I felt physically better without animal products.

I'm willing to go vegan again if my health can stand it, but long-term veganism is a lot less viable than vegetarianism ime. It would take extraordinary circumstances that I... don't have right now.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

A common occurrence for me is booking a restaurant for an important event or booking a table weeks in advance and the waiter questions what meat people would prefer in their meals and seems untroubled when you express a preference for vegetarian meals. On the night of the event, your meal will arrive either earlier or later than the ones with meat however there's always a running theme to it. Ravioli pieces for entree? Lasagne for main. Fried rice balls for entree? Fried rice for main. Last time I served cold grilled vegetables (with pumpkin being the largest piece) for entree and couscous, spinach and pumpkin for main and I'm sure they would have served me pumpkin pie for desert had I stayed to find out. It lacks creativity and I was surprised that at $70 a head they would serve something so bland.

I've never worked in hospitality so I probably expect too much but I don't understand why when you don't eat the vegetarian dishes served they're offended... as if it took them more effort than the meat dishes. Vegetarian meals are less expensive and require less preparation and work.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    A common occurrence for me is booking a restaurant for an important event or booking a table weeks in advance and the waiter questions what meat people would prefer in their meals and seems untroubled when you express a preference for vegetarian meals. On the night of the event, your meal will arrive either earlier or later than the ones with meat however there's always a running theme to it. Ravioli pieces for entree? Lasagne for main. Fried rice balls for entree? Fried rice for main. Last time I served cold grilled vegetables (with pumpkin being the largest piece) for entree and couscous, spinach and pumpkin for main and I'm sure they would have served me pumpkin pie for desert had I stayed to find out. It lacks creativity and I was surprised that at $70 a head they would serve something so bland.

I've never worked in hospitality so I probably expect too much but I don't understand why when you don't eat the vegetarian dishes served they're offended... as if it took them more effort than the meat dishes. Vegetarian meals are less expensive and require less preparation and work.
    Wow where is this happening? In Eastern Europe? This does not happen in Los Angeles. I don't think EVER.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Wow where is this happening? In Eastern Europe? This does not happen in Los Angeles. I don't think EVER.
    I can't comment on how often it occurs in the city but it's very prevalent in the suburbs. I'm not one to complain but, given the time they've had, I don't understand why they don't care to ask about vegetarian meals.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Lacto-vegetarian. Half of it is aclass as csion and half of it is that meat & eggs kind of creep me out. Those two halves seem to reinforce one another in an infinite loop of do not want.

Once before, I was a vegan for a while simply because I felt physically better without animal products.

I'm willing to go vegan again if my health can stand it, but long-term veganism is a lot less viable than vegetarianism ime. It would take extraordinary circumstances that I... don't have right now.
    I feel absolutely better as vegan. I ate some meat and felt like shit for three days. Your bowels don't move. Meat actually ROTS in your digestive track, it's why wealthy people back in 19th century Europe died of digestive issues and middle class people in the early to mid 20th century commonly got appendicitis. As a matter of fact common people used to eat about a third of the meat they consume now. And drank about half the milk. People are killing themselves with excessive amounts of meat and cheese, not to mention the horror of factory farms, only necessary because of abnormal meat consumption.

I would be a lacto vegetarian again if I could raise my own goats. I think perhaps I should live in northern California with goats, and only eat the cheese of my humanely raised, loved goats.

Until then, I am urban vegan. And no I am not spending more money. Meat is expensive, and so is dining out.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

/argument
    I don't know if you actually intend to make yourself look like a moron, or if you just think everything is funny.