User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: Vegetarianism

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm a militant meat lover, just militantly against dietary dogma of any kind.
    Even if someone's allergic?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Even if someone's allergic?
    That's not dogma.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Ha, yeah, this is pretty much me. I won't judge someone for being a vegetarian or vegan, or even say they should eat meat. To each their own. I'll just get into it if someone starts preaching vegetarianism, OR preaching a meat based diet, for that matter.
    Exactly. People can eat the way they want and it's 100% fine with me, I'll even cook for them. It's when they start pushing their preferences on the rest of us that I get exasperated, whether that means they're an evangelical vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, or whatever. In my experience, people with valid medical reasons for modifying their own diets (allergies, celiac, diabetes, etc) tend not to be pushy about it with others.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

FTR I feel that way about evangelical low-carbers too, who think we should all be eating tons of meat and cheese to the exclusion of fruit and grains. You are more than welcome to eat whatever works for you and makes you feel good, but I've tried most of the extreme diets and none of them worked for me or made me feel good or healthy. What works for me is all things in moderation, which means every dogma thinks I'm doing it wrong, lol.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Exactly. People can eat the way they want and it's 100% fine with me, I'll even cook for them. It's when they start pushing their preferences on the rest of us that I get exasperated, whether that means they're an evangelical vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, or whatever. In my experience, people with valid medical reasons for modifying their own diets (allergies, celiac, diabetes, etc) tend not to be pushy about it with others.
    Yeah, the dumb thing is, I have been known to do this annoying crap when I was younger. Had been on a vegan kick for while and anti-gluten, as it made me feel better, and obviously what works for me works for everyone. Telling people "the digestive tract is made for vegetarianism" (not true) Ha, I eat meat and a more balanced diet now (try to avoid gluten) but have learned everyone has different needs and nobody is "right."
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Ginkgo

That's not dogma.
    I'd say that even if someone doesn't plan to extend their principles/moral imperatives to everyone else, they still conform to their own dogma, in a sense. But I understand that you use the word pejoratively.

My point is that I don't think that lending dietary advice to others is unethical or distasteful as long as it's not self-righteous. People tend to develop strong feelings about their eating habits, so even if undertones of self-righteousness are inevitable, I think it's important to know when to let it go if someone opts to choose differently than you. This applies to people on either side of the argument.

That said, I do enjoy the exchange people are having in this thread - it's fun to see where others come from even if I silently disagree. In my experience, mindfulness of what you put in your body can be fun and rewarding, even if you don't go into it with any rigid structure. It can help you differentiate between what you need and what you want, subduing the sense of entitlement so many people harbor, while at the same time curbing disappointment in your food choices.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Just came across this. Thought this might be useful for those wanting to know what is worth considering concerning the way we produce eggs:

http://peacefulprairie.org/backyard-eggs.html

Disclaimer: this document is clearly geared towards promoting veganism, and will contain language that may trigger some people wrt 'don't tell me what to eat.' I just thought it might be interesting to see how even when you're trying to - in this current society - do this the 'right way', by minimizing suffering, it's not always that easy to accomplish. Let me also state that the author doesn't speak for me wrt black-and-whiteness.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Just came across this. Thought this might be useful for those wanting to know what is worth considering concerning the way we produce eggs:

http://peacefulprairie.org/backyard-eggs.html

Disclaimer: this document is clearly geared towards promoting veganism, and will contain language that may trigger some people wrt 'don't tell me what to eat.' I just thought it might be interesting to see how even when you're trying to - in this current society - do this the 'right way', by minimizing suffering, it's not always that easy to accomplish. Let me also state that the author doesn't speak for me wrt black-and-whiteness.
    Try this
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1791297
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    'Meat is, without a doubt, the main reason there is starvation in the world.'

Yeah..that is frightening.

Edit: k, I couldn't stomach the vid after 16 minutes due to the cruelty displayed.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Vegetarianism as a topic of discussion is in the same ballpark as religion, guns, politics, and nutella vs. peanut butter.
    Sometimes the answer is not "either or" but... both.

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.