Thread: Vegetarianism

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    One thing I don't get about vegetarians, tho: why do they think it's okay to be so cruel to plants?

Plants are living, breathing, feeling beings too.

Clearly, the only proper course of action is to starve ourselves to death.

Based on the pictures @Noll has posted, it seems he is already walking down this glorious and righteous path.
    Generally, the human laborers harvesting produce type stuff are not having wonderful lives, so my family does not consider eating plants cruelty-free. We also eat chocolate, drink coffee, and wear clothes/use electronics made in sweatshops. Because we're selfish and like all that stuff. That we also eat factory farmed animal products is just another of the selfish things.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Generally, the human laborers harvesting produce type stuff are not having wonderful lives, so my family does not consider eating plants cruelty-free. We also eat chocolate, drink coffee, and wear clothes/use electronics made in sweatshops. Because we're selfish and like all that stuff. That we also eat factory farmed animal products is just another of the selfish things.
    You devils

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

That's indeed another thing that needs to be addressed, which some people try with 'Fair Trade' - but that system isn't ideal and the products for obvious reasons more expensive, of course.

As for the plants issue - we're only now starting to understand what mammals, who are closest to us, of other species truly need to thrive and not 'suffer' - and we have yet to put that knowledge fully into practice. It is my hope that eventually we'll be able to determine the same things for plants. Baby steps, people.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

If I could choose between two equally tasty, cheap and easy-to-cook kinds of food, one meat, the other vegetables, I would be a vegetarian. As it is, I am not.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yessss. A lot of the same people that rail against, ha, the meat industry, are the same people on an Apple computer that may have been made by a chinese laborer that threw himself off a 20 story manufacturing building after working a 23 hour shift. I was going to give more examples, but you covered the basics
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I quit being vegetarian, I tried it out for 6 months. It was a kind of experiment to see if I could garner this kind of empathy that other people have for living things, and thus by extension have more empathy for people. I feel like sometimes I have gaps where I could be much better.

The bottom line for me is that it didn't work, I'm still a jerk sometimes and I didn't think animals were any cuter. I enjoyed thinking about food much less, which means that I ended feeling very disconnected from my meals. And I wasn't doing it quite right, I got enough protein, but I got anemic.

I still don't/won't eat large amounts of meat, I never really have. And I will be sure to be responsible as to where I get my meat from, but I'm back to being an omnivore, it's right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    And you want to deny a lifetime of happiness (and one bad day) to properly raised pastured animals that wouldn't exist, but for the demand for their meat.

Ok, maybe less than a lifetime for the lambs.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    Good, at least you're honest. And so I know what kind of person you are, and to avoid you. Self-entitled, self-centered and idiotically hedonistic people will get what's coming to them eventually. Goodbye.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I wonder how much the fast food industry has to do with it. I wonder what the effect would be if 95 percent of the fast food shops shut down. Seems to me that's where this megaton of meet is going, rather than to the grocery stores. It would be more efficient to shut down the fast food industry than it would for random people here and there to go vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I wonder how much the fast food industry has to do with it. I wonder what the effect would be if 95 percent of the fast food shops shut down. Seems to me that's where this megaton of meet is going, rather than to the grocery stores. It would be more efficient to shut down the fast food industry than it would for random people here and there to go vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.