User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Don't know but it gave me a good laugh.

Gen X'ers in contrast, are just trying to get by!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think it has some truth. I thought I was gen X but apparently late 70's (1979) are gen Y already.
    I had to learn to compromise once I reached 30. I had to shed some delusions I had about life & happiness. Redefining my own happiness basically.
    I think the main problem with the last few generations is that we actively seek out happiness, whereas older generations just had to get by (as @Redbone said) and did not have the tendency or awareness to constantly eveluate their own happiness. The pursuit of happiness itself has been named as a cause of unhappiness by many modern philosophers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't really know if yuppies are very much happy, ever. Meaning, I don't know if it's a sensical path towards happiness.

I also find those graphs slightly misleading, a secure career may just have fallen out of favor because well, there aren't plenty of secure careers.

I would rather consider steadily growing cost of housing, un/underemployment and the almost necessity to live in overcrowded and expensive cities as better reasons as to why young people may be unhappy.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned

as a genYer...I've heard all this before.

yeah....i'm not special...yeah i'm entitled....yeah i'm cocky...

come up with something else, i'd say..it's boring.

see how many of us are going to be stopping any time soon.
    answer: none.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I think Gen Y is unhappy because they have the means to achieve the aspirations set out for them by previous generations only to learn that those aspirations don't lead to happiness.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

The rise of incredibly optimistic media (that in which the ending is happy and the conflict leaves no real impact) in the 1970s-1990s is most likely the cause of Gen Y essentially settling for reality. It is also around the time that we've stopped trusting authority, and of course Disney.

I'm a Gen Y'er.

First, I think "Happiness = Reality – Expectations" is wrong.

What does that mean - that if I set low goals for myself and work just hard enough to exceed them, I will be happy?

Going down this line of reasoning, ambition could be hazardous to your well being. It isn't. The point would've been made better if the formula was altered to something like "Unrealistic expectations + Entitlement = Unhappiness". The article even concludes that ambition is in fact good. So I'm a bit annoyed with the formula, both for its' poor definition of happiness and the implication that the shortcut to happiness is setting the bar low. I'm willing to bet money on that a fulfilling job with lower pay makes you way happier than a soul murdering job with higher pay. The former gives a sense of purpose, which is fundamental for your quality of life. The latter is very likely to eventually induce existential angst, and after you hit the $75k/year mark, money doesn't make you happier.

Second, I suspect the ultra-ambitious, entitled brats is more of an American thing. I can't recall ever meeting someone from my generation who thought like this.
    In fact, most of my peers have been very realistic and pragmatic, either studying ambitiously with scopes set on higher education, or working shit jobs right after graduating.
    Never have I partaken in "overzealous self-esteem building exercises", or even heard of others doing such (what is this, anyway?).

The one thing I agree with is the part about Facebook. FB profiles are like movie trailers - cherrypicking parts of the film to make even steaming piles of shit look appealing.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    What does that mean - that if I set low goals for myself and work just hard enough to exceed them, I will be happy?
    Goals and expectations aren't the same thing, you can have a lofty goal without ever expecting to reach it. There's a saying that gets thrown around, something like "shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you'll land among the stars". You can set your goals as high as you want, and as long as your expectations are low, you wont be unhappy (which you said already). Expectations are the cause of disappointment, not goals.

Second, I suspect the ultra-ambitious, entitled brats is more of an American thing. I can't recall ever meeting someone from my generation who thought like this.
    In fact, most of my peers have been very realistic and pragmatic, either studying ambitiously with scopes set on higher education, or working shit jobs right after graduating.
    Never have I partaken in "overzealous self-esteem building exercises", or even heard of others doing such (what is this, anyway?).
    yes, it's an American thing, people had really high expectations for this generation, but the cost of education and home ownership have skyrocketed, while employment rates have plummeted and wages have stagnated, making this generation a huge disappointment for everyone.

I never took part in any self esteem building exercises as far as I know, I hear about them a lot, but I think they are exaggerated.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Goals and expectations aren't the same thing, you can have a lofty goal without ever expecting to reach it. There's a saying that gets thrown around, something like "shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you'll land among the stars" or something to that effect. I guess you can set your goals as high as you want, and as long as your expectations are reasonable, you wont be unhappy (which you said already). Expectations are the cause of disappointment, not goals.
    Oh yeah, you're right.

"Expecting" something out of life is foreign to me. I always figured that I got what I deserved.

I was fired from my first job after about 2 months due to ineffectiveness. I was well aware that my performance was sub-par despite my efforts to improve, so when they let me go I just accepted it and began applying for other jobs the very same day. I don't know if it's because my parents never instilled in my mind that I was super special, or if my brain is just hardwired to be fair and resiliant, but I've always been able to roll with the punches.

yes, it's an American thing, people had really high expectations for this generation, but the cost of education and home ownership have skyrocketed, while employment rates have plummeted and wages have stagnated, making this generation a huge disappointment for everyone.
    OH THE IRONING

I never took part in any self esteem building exercises as far as I know, I hear about them a lot, but I think they are exaggerated.
    Reminds me of a PE teacher I had who'd end the game whenever the score was even.

She never explicitly stated her filthy agenda, but we recognized it after it happened an enough number of times, and we were all pissed off about it.

But yeah, if the thing in your link is a real and widespread thing... Something is real wrong.