User Tag List

First 12

Ginkgo

For many magic tricks, misdirection is used to keep the attention away from the details of how a trick really works. The more you seek empirical evidence under the conditions the magician has laid out, the more you are gulled into the illusion. To disbelieve a well executed magic trick, you must first believe that there is more that meets the eye. It's ironic, given that "magical thinking" often perpetuates beliefs that lack concrete support, and in that irony, people often fall prey to shysters.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Fake magic -- it's entertaining. A movie isn't real, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Fictional books are still fun. What a silly question.

Real magic -- Because I want to, pretty much. Because you can't tell me it's fake no matter how frustrated you get. And the power of the mind is a great thing. I believe the things our minds can do, and the things people's bodies can do, defying the norm--that those things are magical and should be celebrated.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    For many magic tricks, misdirection is used to keep the attention away from the details of how a trick really works. The more you seek empirical evidence under the conditions the magician has laid out, the more you are gulled into the illusion. To disbelieve a well executed magic trick, you must first believe that there is more that meets the eye. It's ironic, given that "magical thinking" often perpetuates beliefs that lack concrete support, and in that irony, people often fall prey to shysters.
    There's actually an insightful video on youtube about sleight of hand (and misdirection specifically). The one thing is that all tricks are the same, having some sort of illusion, but it's just that the magician catches the spectator(s) unprepared or he/she ends up with a clueless audience and can capture some pretty priceless reactions. There's also something called a gaff deck to enhance tricks, but I wont go into anymore detail and leave it up to you to decide whether or not to check it out. It's pretty cool stuff.

Here's the video

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Planetary Walker View Post
    There's actually an insightful video on youtube about sleight of hand (and misdirection specifically). The one thing is that all tricks are the same, having some sort of illusion, but it's just that the magician catches the spectator(s) unprepared or he/she ends up with a clueless audience and can capture some pretty priceless reactions. There's also something called a gaff deck to enhance tricks, but I wont go into anymore detail and leave it up to you to decide whether or not to check it out. It's pretty cool stuff.

Here's the video

I love it. Thanks for that bit of entertainment.

Default Magic and Critical Thinking

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The willing suspension of disbelief.
    This is completely correct.

We suspend our disbelief by entering a trance where some of our critical faculties are in abeyance, particularly our faculty of disbelief.

So art, music, ballet, religion, nationalism, ideology, books, the movies, and even Typology Central itself are based on the suspension of disbelief.

And it is a furphy to equate magic with the magic tricks of a stage magician. Magic is far wider and deeper than cheap magic tricks.

So magic gives savour to life but stands in stark contrast with critical thinking.

So magic is not critical thinking, and critical thinking is not magic, but both are equally important.

And so it is the relationship between magic and critical thinking that makes life so interesting.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The willing suspension of disbelief.
    Money probably influences how willing one is to suspend it. You pay for a magic show, you expect to be entertained.

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

In my personal opinion, an excellent way to fool someone is to hide the lie within another, easier to discover lie. I saw a trick once involving a cube and a box with a double-door on the front just large enough to hold two of said cube inside. The magician performing the trick started by opening the box to show that it was empty, then "secretly" stuck the cube in the box, while "trying" to pull everyone's attention away by pointing over our heads at something non-existent.

Of course he got called out on trying to fool us. He then proceeded to show us there was nothing in the box still, by shifting the cube to one side of it and opening the door on the opposite side, hiding the cube behind the closed door. He did this several times, and while this succeeded in hiding the cube visually, we could hear it shifting around inside.

Then, finally, he opened both doors. No cube.

The trick to the trick was that the cube was actually just a shell of a cube. When turned a certain way, it meshed and blended against the back of the box, making it almost impossible to see. I never figured that out till later, though, when I saw him packing up.

Long story short, make the audience think you're worse at performing the trick than you actually are. Hone your skills, then hide them.
    "Quiiri ath metahn i'ashei?"
    Chronically Gephyrophobic

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Stupidity XD . No, its just that people are unable to explain their perceptions if the magic is done correctly.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

We perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

So we distinguish between magic tricks and actual magic.

Magic tricks are cheap forms of manipulation, while actual magic changes the person.

Magic tricks appeal to the empty and the shallow, while actual magic is for mensch who can transform themselves.

Magic tricks don't touch the person, while actual magic changes the person.

So mbti is a magic trick for those without the courage, the knowledge or the ability to change themselves.

Magic tricks manipulate the perceptions of others, while actual magic is the basis of personal growth.