User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post

Why are people so averse to generalizations? Is it an attack on their individuality? Are they afraid that people will use these generalizations to make assumptions about them? Or do they really deny the validity of making generalizations altogether?
    I think perhaps, people mishear generalizations as every single last person in said group. so the knee jerk is to find an outlier (I'm guilty of this) And I have made generalizations and had people do this back to me. life
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Deserve more hate and ridicule, eh?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I think perhaps, people mishear generalizations as every single last person in said group. so the knee jerk is to find an outlier (I'm guilty of this) And I have made generalizations and had people do this back to me. life
    I think I do that as well. But it's more to give examples of how people can deviate from the general behaviour of said group, and maybe to prevent people from assuming the generalization is true for all of that group. Never to claim the generelization isn't correct.

It's often in situations like that you hear the "everyone is an individual" speech. Right after you make a blanket statement (and even emphasize that you're describing things in general) people can almost aggressively point out that they know several people who aren't like that, therefore it isn't true. It's like they suddenly have a selective hearing to filter out words like "generally", "most" or "often". Sometimes, it's annoying. Other times, it's infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Deserve more hate and ridicule, eh?
    I think of it more as "people who act fucking weird yet somehow gets off the hook".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I think of it more as "people who act fucking weird yet somehow gets off the hook anyway".
    so those people are deserving of hate and ridicule? or we should say that they are? because they act weird? or annoy us?

i get bothered when people throw words around like that. saying that someone or a group of people deserves hate and ridicule is a pretty strong and specific statement to make. and people get hated and ridiculed all the time for stupid little things like the way they talk, what kind of clothes they choose to wear, making a mistake while driving... people seem to dole it out quite generously. and i don't think that lumping 'people who interrupt you when you're talking' to this list is doing anyone any favors. have some patience and empathy for people who don't live their lives to serve you and your wants and needs.

garbage

I personally wouldn't claim that some people are just deserving more hate and ridicule, but I can think of plenty of behaviors that ought to be 'checked' by others much more than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    5) Belligerent people. There are certainly appropriate times to lay into someone, but goof grief! learn some self control. [...] I welcome objective criticism, but come at me with that kind of disrespect or hostility and I will check the shit out of you.
    This, especially the bolded.

We all have weaknesses, buttons and triggers, and lenses--but we should all take responsibility for them, too.

"Passion" should be channeled in a healthier way. And when it's not, it shouldn't be an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    4) People who claim not to have any strong opinions.
    Do you differentiate between those who simply claim to not have strong opinions and those who actually don't have strong opinions? And do you mean in the general sense, or on specific issues? I wouldn't expect--or want--anyone to form a strong opinion on a given issue without knowing too much about it.

But just claiming to not have a strong opinion in order to appear to be "above" those who do? Yeah, that's sanctimonious.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Those who try to justify consumption of meat in modern society
    Those who hunt and fish for 'fun'
    Those who spill blood for a living
    Right-wing nitwits
    Illiterate warlords
    Degenerate CEO's
    Those with global apathy
    Those who value body over mind and emotion

They should all be hanged, really. If I were God they would go first. If you're one of these then I hate you with all of my heart.
    4w5-9w1-5w4

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    so those people are deserving of hate and ridicule? or we should say that they are? because they act weird? or annoy us? .
    No.

What I meant was that I didn't take the thread title literally. I wrote about people who behave in a way I find perplexing and irrational, yet no one finds it strange or wrong.
    I'm not saying those people deserve hate. Just that they get off the hook so easily when I think more people should be opposed to that kind of behaviour.

I don't promote hate. I'm not sure if OP does, he might have just worded it strongly. Either way, I answered according to my interpretation of the thread's intention.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

No.

What I meant was that I didn't take the thread title literally. I wrote about people who behave in a way I find perplexing and irrational, yet no one finds it strange or wrong.
    I'm not saying those people deserve hate. Just that they get off the hook so easily when I think more people should be opposed to that kind of behaviour.

I don't promote hate. I'm not sure if OP does, he might have just worded it strongly. Either way, I answered according to my interpretation of the thread's intention.
    yeah, i get it. the point i'm trying to make is that there is a portion of the population who does not take this as a joke. and who do believe in hating and shaming people for reasons such as these. so to list petty characteristics under that title, and just assume it's being taken the way you interpret it is subject to some misunderstanding. and i think that's not a good thing.

EDIT: i'm all for joking about this kind of thing. really. if it's a blatant joke, or in a private conversation where i know no listener will take what i'm saying seriously, i'm all for saying silly things like, "eliminate all female drivers" or "people who wear tapout shirts should be sterilized". but i don't know if the message is as clear here.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

People who hate and ridicule

(Except, I don't think they should actually be hated and ridiculed for it)

(There's already enough hate and ridicule to go around; I don't see how adding any more to it would be a positive thing)

(I just think they should grow up, self-reflect more, and "be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle")