User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Default Commuting Prices

Wasn't sure where to put this. Seemed a little grumpy for The Bonfire...

How much money do you spend commuting to work? Do you do anything to alleviate this cost?

Here's a commuter calculator: http://www.commutesolutions.com/howmuch.html

If I drive to work every day, I spend roughly 95 dollars a month on gasoline and wear/tear (I'm not counting insurance and stuff like that). For the past three years, I have carpooled, basically cutting this cost in half.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

A hell of a lot. My round-trip is around 100 miles, and I'm a 9-5'er.

Using the 7 cents/mile as a guestimate for wear & tear, assuming 23 days/mo of commuting and actual insurance cost/mo, it's $572/mo for me if I just drive my subaru. I sometimes ride my motorcycle when the weather's decent to alleviate some of the fuel cost. Unfortunately there are no carpool opportunities around me.

Someday I might move closer to work Doubtful though, I can't stand the thought of actually living near Baltimore. The cost of living is higher too, and might not make up for it. I pay fairly low rent and live fairly well where I am.
    Last edited by spirilis; 07-23-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: 25 days/mo is impossible
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ

Public transportation:

About $140 a month. DC metro (subway) is expensive. $100 a month is subsidized by work.

Ilah

MBTI
    INTp

Transit pass (which is a bus for me) is $75 per month. The good new is my employer subsizies 1/3 under some "green" initiative and now it is tax deductable as well (more green stuff). So all things considered I'm only out of pocket about $35/month for getting to work.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Driving myself to work and the kids to school costs me $565.26. That includes carpooling with my co-worker. Basically, my part-time job almost pays for my vehicle, but I have to have it whether I have the job or not unless I want to change what school my sons go to, which I don't. And with four kids at home, I can't go much smaller.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Without insurance, roughly $9.84/week (the site is wrong, that first one is week, not month) for flat commuting with wear-and-tear ($4.25/gallon, 6.4 cents/mile, 10 miles round-trip, and 5 days a week)... Insurance is once a year at a price of $33/month, and should be split roughly into thirds since I drive about twice as much outside of commuting. I spend ~$40/month in gas for commuting, ~$50-120/month in gas for all driving, unless I take a road trip somewhere. The car itself has cost me $142/month so-far, and an additional $92/month in upkeep, though this will obviously become lower and lower over the time I own it. The majority of the upkeep has been a bunch of expensive engine work that I elected to do, the rest is just oil changes and tires.

In the real world, I put ~$35-45 in every 2-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Wolf; 07-23-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: What the hell? The calculator on that site is broken.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Driving myself to work and the kids to school costs me $565.26. That includes carpooling with my co-worker. Basically, my part-time job almost pays for my vehicle, but I have to have it whether I have the job or not unless I want to change what school my sons go to, which I don't. And with four kids at home, I can't go much smaller.
    Is that a year?

I just started commuting to SF - my round trip per diem cost on BART is $7.00.

Edit - My husband drops me at the station in the am on his way to work, I walk the pleasant 1/2 mile home in the afternoon.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 07-23-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added info
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Is that a year?

I just started commuting to SF - my round trip per diem cost on BART is $7.00.
    It's per month. It includes the car payment, mileage, insurance, gas, depreciation, etc. We don't have good public transit in my area so I have to have a vehicle regardless. It's a big expense, but the cost of living here is pretty low otherwise.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INXP

$504 a month for me. Actually I'm surprised it's that light with petrol (gas) running at $8.70 per US gallon in the UK. Yes, that wasn't a typo, $8.70 a gallon

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Wow, I'm reminded of why I don't have a car.

I use a combination of busing and biking in the summer, so costs 20-40$/month, depending how often I bus (mostly due to bad weather), since a round trip is the equivalent of 4$.

In the winter I buy a bus pass which is about 65$ for students. It seems like a lot to me but I guess compared to a car it's incredibly cheap.