User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Wow, I'm reminded of why I don't have a car.

I use a combination of busing and biking in the summer, so costs 20-40$/month, depending how often I bus (mostly due to bad weather), since a round trip is the equivalent of 4$.

In the winter I buy a bus pass which is about 65$ for students. It seems like a lot to me but I guess compared to a car it's incredibly cheap.
    It's super that you apparently live in a place where this is feasible. I live in a really sprawl-y town with a craptastic bus system. But I'm moving to a less sprawly place (downtown, no less) with a super awesome free bus system. (I don't know how awesome it really is, but it's free!)
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INtP

I'm very fortunate here - commuting costs me something like $40 a month, excluding insurance (I almost feel bad ). However, almost all of that's due to an employer-subsidized public transit pass. Not only do they buy the pass for me, if I didn't get one, I'd have to pay *them* for parking. So it's sort of a double-whammy to drive myself to work. Fortunately, I live close enough to the train station to make it practical. Technically I could walk to the bus stop and take it to the train station, but the buses are so unreliable in the afternoon that I gave up on that and just drive the couple of miles to the train station.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

we spend crazy money on gas right now. I hate it but the job is where it is, and we're in a sprawly area. Noah spends about $300 a month on gas to and from work, and I probably spend that much on the kid/household schlepping (errands & groceries, Thing 1's carpool to school, taking Thing 2 to childcare if Noah can't drop him off on his way to work, always the pickup from childcare is mine). It's pretty disgusting and I'm very torn about how to change it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    isfj

i ride my bike and lightrail to and from work. the company i work for pays for my transit pass! they pay for parking for those who have cars too, but i don't have one.

my son's daycare is across the street from our home so i just walk him over.

this isn't really for commuting but i have a zipcar account for those times when i just need a car. i've used it to bring a futon home, cart a huge amount of groceries, and to get to places that would take forever to get to on the bus. it's $50/year for membership, $9/hr or $66/day of use (depending on car model) and they pay for gas.

i would not be able to afford the cost of driving at this point in my life.
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, I'd love it if Zipcar were practical and available. I hear tell there's going to be a train stop in our town, which will be great if we can make it work time-wise.

MBTI
    ISTP

I spend $40 a month on gas commuting to and from work in a 20mpg sports car....working 5mi from home is nice. I'm an avid biker, but it's not feasible to ride to work, due to a very dangerous (and difficult to ride), set of hills.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    isfj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh, I'd love it if Zipcar were practical and available. I hear tell there's going to be a train stop in our town, which will be great if we can make it work time-wise.
    i think i jumped out of the car thing just in time! your kids would love riding the train!! my guy decided that he loved thomas the tank engine just before we started using lightrail and buses.
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I wish it were more feasible in our area. We've been begging for light-rail and other public transport options for years, but they keep pouring money into new beltlines and widening the interstates instead.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I got a to help recoup some of the cost of gasoline. 5% back on gasoline isn't bad. You just have to be careful which stations you use it at. Some stations will charge you more than the advertised price for using these rewards cards, so pay attention. For example, BP charges an extra $0.10/gallon if you use any card, debit or credit (their advertised price is for cash, only). Some other stations will charge you more if it's a rewards card, rather than a plain old Visa.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I ride my nice road bike to work (18kms x 2 ways) on most days, so generally, not very much.

Am building up a steel, lugged Bianchi frame (early 90s alfana?) to convert to fixed gear and be not afraid to lock this bike up places. (I can't ride my nice bike to work if I need to go somewhere after, which is annoying because it's my only ride.) Working at a bike shop helps to subsidize my costs (in theory, but that depends on how much equipment I buy, which is at least an intelligent investment due to the price of gas).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis