User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Default Did this forum come from a previous forum elsewhere?

Where do forums come from?

I looked back in google. Somewhere around April of 2007, TypologyCentral suddenly became visible to Google. Somebody set up the forum and invited people in from somewhere, and they all began talking, rather quickly. The forum must have been advertised elsewhere, someplace where a lot of people saw the link. I see some threads that were started by people whose types were introverted NTs. I think they must have known each other from other forums.

I know it costs money to buy a domain and it costs money to buy forum software, although there are freeware forums out there too. I'm sure I could figure out how to set it up. I'm more interested in finding out: 1. how people advertise forums, and 2. why some forums are very active, while others are not very active at all.

My decision to participate in a forum usually depends on how active the forum is. I've seen forums that were filled with empty space - lots and lots of categories, but nothing inside the categories. I think it would be better to start out with just one category and then add more categories later as they developed over time, rather than trying to predict in advance which categories people would want, then set them up and wait for people to put stuff in them. What happens when you do that (start with just a general category and add more categories as more people participate and as it gets more cluttered)? Some specific information has to be visible on the front page, rather than just categories.

I'm curious to know what makes a good forum design, versus a bad one. I've seen bad ones, but never tried to verbalize exactly what it was that made them so bad, and compare them to ones that I thought were good.

Socionics
    ILI

If I recall conversations between older members correctly, this forum is a splinter off from INTPc for all 16 types.

MBTI
    yupp

we're actually a cult, bow down to us

here have some kool aid
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

a few of the old timers are still around and could explain as much, but this site (originally called MBTICentral, until we were asked by the official MBTI folks to change the name) was mainly seeded from INTP Central, which had a large population of non-INTPs, and there was a desire to have a site for mainly INTPs and this site was offered as an alternative as a diverse-type site. Ivy and I and a few others were the original mods and helped talk to people and convince them to try posting here for awhile. So yes, a lot of people knew each other previously, and the site started off on the ground running rather than from complete scratch. Eventually of course, even though a lot of the original members might not post often or have left, there was enough influx of new members that the site reseeded itself.

The activity level right now does to me seem to be down from its earlier peak years. But hey, every site has a life cycle, so I guess that is to be expected.

Sites all have different policies about what kind of advertising can be done for other sites on in its pages. You'd have to talk to the current staff to get the details on the policy here. The difference for TypologyCentral is that the same guy owned both sites back then, and it was part of his own plan to boot this site up, so... no biggie in that case.

PS. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

I won't drink the Kool-Aid, or go up in the UFO, or whatever.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Retmeishka View Post
    I won't drink the Kool-Aid, or go up in the UFO, or whatever.
    yes, don't:
    ride the ferris wheel
    spin the bottle
    french the waiter
    pork the sausage
    dissect the kitty
    marinate the liverwurst
    pick the daisies
    spoil the ending
    flash the camera
    pet the puma
    jump the shark
    fire the rocket
    steal the hubcap
    climb the ladder

... this is too much fun.

BTW, I agree with you about organization. I would provide broader categories at first, and then once membership starts showing you (by the topics they discuss) what kind of subcategories they focus on, you can start breaking things down a little more. it's just important to get some broad ones in place, though, so the site is at least partially organized. i think over-organization without content is one of the foibles of introverted rationality that tries to preplan things out in private. it's okay to let the process be more organic. more time should probably be spent in networking and getting people to join and stay.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yes, don't:
    ride the ferris wheel
    spin the bottle
    french the waiter
    pork the sausage
    dissect the kitty
    marinate the liverwurst
    pick the daisies
    spoil the ending
    flash the camera
    pet the puma
    jump the shark
    fire the rocket
    steal the hubcap
    climb the ladder

... this is too much fun.
    Are all of those things movie scenarios? I think I've missed all the good movies.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

PS. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.
    don't listen to her, the Kool-Aid is delicious
    @Retmeishka you should get to know me, so I can ask a rude question, without pissing you off
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Retmeishka View Post
    Are all of those things movie scenarios? I think I've missed all the good movies.
    I actually just made them all up, flow of consciousness... although a few are known phrases.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Modern forums like this one grew out of usenet and emailing lists.

You can still go to Yahoo! Groups and bask at the primitive societies there.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London