Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3474

Thread: Confessions

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato Nadeshiko View Post
    I actually do have a pretty unpopular and un-PC opinion.
    You can't just say that and not tell us what it is!!
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    You can't just say that and not tell us what it is!!
    I think that it is morally wrong to raise a child into one's religion and in my opinion it's equivalent to brainwashing. I have absolutely no problems with people who choose to be religious and admire that they have faith that I don't have, but to engrave on a child's tabula rasa before they're even old enough to comprehend anything for themselves is wrong. Religion should not be something that parents force onto their children and the child should note be "trained" to believe something just because their family does. The reason this is wrong is because children will believe whatever we tell them when they are growing up. Instead of telling children that "our deity exists," we should let them come to their own conclusions. Answer their questions if they're curious, but do not do things like enroll them in Sunday School, which I think is morally wrong.

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes Smilephantomhive, prplchknz liked this post

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

I think that it is morally wrong to raise a child into one's religion and in my opinion it's equivalent to brainwashing. I have absolutely no problems with people who choose to be religious and admire that they have faith that I don't have, but to engrave on a child's tabula rasa before they're even old enough to comprehend anything for themselves is wrong. Religion should not be something that parents force onto their children and the child should note be "trained" to believe something just because their family does. The reason this is wrong is because children will believe whatever we tell them when they are growing up. Instead of telling children that "our deity exists," we should let them come to their own conclusions. Answer their questions if they're curious, but do not do things like enroll them in Sunday School, which I think is morally wrong.
    Wait how is that un pc?
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

That's exactly what we did. We got shit for it here and there (not baptizing, no religious instructions) but in the end, we did the right thing and our kids have even thanked us for thinking ahead. They don't have to go out in the world with any religious bullshit weighing them down and if they change their minds and want to embrace a religion someday, they can do it freely.

It is so chili and soup weather.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Wait how is that un pc?
    Mostly for referring to it as "brainwashing"

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes prplchknz, magpie liked this post

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

But it essentially is. I guess also saying you're going to die to someone also is by that logic

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I don't know, I think what you view as un-pc is a testament to how kind and considerate you are. Un-pc to me would be saying religious people should be sterilized or something... which is not something I believe, just an example.
    Likes prplchknz, Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

One of the scariest things about college is the possibility of me having to go on a multi hour drive to another state.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

I was raised in the Catholic church, went away from it and came back to my faith in college. I remember questioning certain aspects of dogma from a fairly young age and those questions were encouraged as a way to get me to think critically about my beliefs. That was also my experience attending a Catholic university for college.

There's a lot of beauty in my tradition and there's a lot of things that are intolerant or just silly that I don't agree with. How someone practices their faith is not really a function of the religion: it's a function of the practitioner. If I'd grown up in a different kind of household or been a member of a different kind of congregation growing up, my experiences would have no doubt been different. I don't agree with any institution that inherently robs someone of choice, but I don't really feel that Catholicism has robbed me of anything. CS Lewis talks about the spiritual traditions we're raised with being a framework for us to know something beyond ourselves and that's very much been my experience.

There is no such thing as tabla rasa, instead there are innate predispositions and drives, in a very important sense it is more appropriate to speak of good or bad religion as opposed to religion and irreligion as that which acts as a substitute for traditional religion for many has all the hall marks of religion and often bad religion at that, made all the worse by the conceit that it is not religion and therefore automatically a good thing in contrast.

It is a strange thing that neglect of learning and teaching for a developing mind should be deemed worthy, like throwing someone in deep water with no prepping or instruction on swimming and trusting "they will figure it out".

Equally how many times will the wheel be reinvented or history repeat itself before the sharing of the experience and learning of one generation bequethed to another loses its supposedly sinister character?