I wash my hair like once a week. I used to do it every other day, but ever since I started dyeing my hair, I really don't want the color to fade so fast. Also, I get really lazy. It's been seeming remarkably clean, though. For everyone, here are some tips to help keep unwashed hair looking fresh:
-Dry shampoo. Make it your best friend. I'm using the Dove brand right now.
-Put your hair up when you sleep. I always sleep with my hair in a ponytail or bun, because having it pressed up against my face all night is going to get some oils on it.
-Keep your hair up more during the day. (I've been rocking messy & ballerina buns.) It keeps it out of your face where you sweat and produce oil.
-Put your hair up after you wash it. After I wash my hair and it's mostly dry, I put it up in a bun and leave it there for a while. Admittedly, I leave my hair in buns for up to two days and don't brush it--though I have pretty straight hair, so this might not work for everyone. When I take it out, it still has a fresh smell!
-When you take your hair out of a bun, spritz it with some dry shampoo and fluff it a bit. It'll have some volume!
Yes! I can vouch for this as someone who has had dyed red hair (of some variety) for 2+ years.
- Don't take super-hot showers
- Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner
- Just wash your scalp -- let the shampoo runoff clean the rest of your hair, it's gentler
- If you have trouble with dry shampoo (as I do), consider washing your hair every other day, or 2-3x/week
- If you try the above and your scalp has trouble, use dandruff shampoo for one of those 2-3 washings (I use the intense stuff (T-gel) or prescription shampoo)