Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 3492

Thread: Confessions

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I don't see the point in typing fictional characters, unless one was used as a great reference point for typing others. Which I think there is way too little information about most fictional characters in the first place.
    Actually depending on how the story is written, we often know far more about the internal workings of a fictional character than we do about anyone in real life. Authors will give us insights into their motivations and thought processes, the things they are thinking but not saying, the feelings they suppress. Unless we are good friends with someone, we probably won't know these things about most people. In this respect, an internally consistent fictional character is sometimes easier to type.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Actually depending on how the story is written, we often know far more about the internal workings of a fictional character than we do about anyone in real life. Authors will give us insights into their motivations and thought processes, the things they are thinking but not saying, the feelings they suppress. Unless we are good friends with someone, we probably won't know these things about most people. In this respect, an internally consistent fictional character is sometimes easier to type.
    I can see what you're saying. However, maybe also I'm a little skeptical of how much of an author can disassociate of his personal characteristics and values from being projected to any of his members in the story. Further movies adapted from novels can sometimes be further from the what the author or the average reader suspected about this person.

And yet maybe I'm an amateur at this because I haven't launched at myself from just focusing on a single character throughout an entire story just to figure his type or personality out and more interested in what the author is trying to convey to the reader. More interested in the big picture. (Just talking about me here, not trying to suggest what you get out of a story here.)
    Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

Likes Osprey liked this post

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I can see what you're saying. However, maybe also I'm a little skeptical of how much of an author can disassociate of his personal characteristics and values from being projected to any of his members in the story. Further movies adapted from novels can sometimes be further from the what the author or the average reader suspected about this person.

And yet maybe I'm an amateur at this because I haven't launched at myself from just focusing on a single character throughout an entire story just to figure his type or personality out and more interested in what the author is trying to convey to the reader. More interested in the big picture. (Just talking about me here, not trying to suggest what you get out of a story here.)
    You are right that authors often include much of themselves in their characters. Stilll, there needs to be contrast and distinctness among the characters in a single work, otherwise it wouldn't be convincing. I suppose this is part of what separates good authors from mediocre ones. I do think it is is harder to type characters from movies, not just because of possible deviations from the book, but because we can't get the same sense of the character's inner thoughts. The voiceover monologues in Dexter is a good example, but most movies and shows don't lend themselves to this technique. In a book, though, the author can take pages to expand on those internal parts of a character that only the best actors can hint at in a performance.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are right that authors often include much of themselves in their characters. Stilll, there needs to be contrast and distinctness among the characters in a single work, otherwise it wouldn't be convincing. I suppose this is part of what separates good authors from mediocre ones. I do think it is is harder to type characters from movies, not just because of possible deviations from the book, but because we can't get the same sense of the character's inner thoughts. The voiceover monologues in Dexter is a good example, but most movies and shows don't lend themselves to this technique. In a book, though, the author can take pages to expand on those internal parts of a character that only the best actors can hint at in a performance.
    I agree, it takes some serious skill for effective character development and personality and probably diverse life experience with many other members of society. I could also see why movies take out thoughts, it doesn't make it as "real" reading people's minds, trying to give off the perception of that you're more of a bystander that is watching what is going on. Oh, good actors make it seem like you can't detect a pattern of what their acting style overall (like in several different movies, but that also depends on the director too) is in my opinion, unless for comedic effect of course.

Now I like Dexter, just that sometimes being an empath I feel very far off from relation to him which can make it harder to watch the show and sometimes no mind-reader can give me the illusion of the benefit of the doubt.

But to be straight-forward, yes internal dialogue helps immensely, if not required.
    Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

Likes Osprey liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I prefer quill stems.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ugh, I'm starting to bore myself.

MBTI
    ISFP

I feel like in some ways I look down on my friend, they r very future focused ... it's like, when they find the one, when they travel, save for a rainy day, etc. I feel though that my life is lived right now, so I don't think in those terms, I don't look too far into the future ... it actually seems crazy to think like my friend thinks. In all fairness they think I'm crazy.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ISFP

But I also think they look down on me quite a bit.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ISFP

I pretty much date just to work out BS in a way, like being drawn to people that I don't even know if I like as people. Like the last guy, it was all about seeing how far I could go with being nice and yielding to someone. So I'd go and get his coffee, paying for it myself I'd like to add, and he'd be like "watch and make sure they fill it to the top" and he'd also want things done this ridiculously particular way. I loved it though ... partly because I wanted to punch him in the face most of the time, partly because the whole thing fascinated me. I mean clearly we were existing on opposite sides of the spectrum since I can't even remember what all those coffees r called, which is why I default to a mocha in the largest size whenever I go to coffee houses. He was by far the most controlling person I had ever met, hard to know how much of that was for show, sometimes I thought it was just his schtick ... like dominant dude, u know cause I guess with 50 shades of grey etc. some chicks r into being dominated sexually ... but me, I just found it all really fucken weird, so of course I was drawn to it. But mostly I realized from that situation how much I didn't want to ever be a person that ordered my coffee a particular way, fuck give me someone elses coffee, totally fuck up my order and give me a bran muffin instead, and I'll rock the shit out my bran muffin and be happy. But I'm saying, I could see elements of control within my life that were essentially like ordering a fucken coffee in a very particular way and getting pissy upset when it wasn't filled to the top, which is like aging, like death, like all these things we r to fight against, it's like u r saying to the barista of life ... F u I want my skin taut and wrinkle-less, go back and make me another!!
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP

It's oddly addictive though, like I need to up the ante with the next one, that he should be even more controlling and nuts ... because I'm so fascinated by how being around someone extremely nitpicky and particular, that tells u constantly u r doing things wrong, etc. is like somehow the greatest experience ever in learning to accept life.