User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default I got banned from a forum (city data's) for being a "race baiting troll".

I was a pretty frequent poster on that site...probably upwards of 2000 posts.

But, no longer.

The forum was filled with thread after thread on race...lots of them to do with black people. I myself am biracial...

There'd be post after post chastising black people for this or that...criticizing them over issues that individual people couldn't really help. I would react to those posts...usually by pointing out that you can't consider black people as a whole, also that if I were to consider white people as a whole, judging them by their lowest common denominator...then I'd reduce a whole bunch of people to nothing but evil racists. That's clearly not the case, so why wouldn't that courtesy be extended to me or any individual black person?

I just find it funny that they'd silence a voice from someone from a group they'd endlessly talk about. Instead of talking with us, they'd rather talk about us. And, what does that help?

I'm hurt...that they'd talk about people like that, and that they wouldn't let those people voice their perspective on the matter.

I feel like, especially if that forum is any indication of what it is to non white in America, I'm better off going back to Africa. I mean, historically enslaved...and currently ostracized...even in this day and age. Nothing is changing.

It's complicated because another biracial Kenyan-American is currently the president of the whole country...and this one can't even function in society! What does that say? Shouldn't this be easier for me now? Or, rather than electing a black person as an indication of the end of discrimination, is it instead an indication of the futility of the fight against discrimination? Nothing is changing. At least, in my individual experience. I'm still being banned/ostracized by communities.

Is it hopeless, then? Me in America? That feeling grows daily.

What would I even do in Africa?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

People will always find a way to blame someone else for their problems. In high school, it's your weight, the way you act like a teachers pet, the way that you chew gum, if need be. In the big bad world - it's racism, sexism, xenophobia in all its glorious forms, religious righteousness, you name it.

You stumbled upon a group of people who probably have had bad experiences with people who happened to be black. Or, they are envious, jealous, feel left out themselves in some way so they bitch about those people to get their frustrations out. I've seen the same thing happen in my own country with in particular Moroccans as they have made up the most part of our foreign population - and yes, the way they treat women and their differences in culture in general made people bristle at them in the first place, but now they're just a convenient excuse for all their worries. There is usually a grain of truth to their bitching, but it gets to be a handy scapegoat and way to digest everything going wrong in your life to blame others instead of owning your own emotional baggage - as that takes hard work. Why not outsource it to others as a burden *they* have to deal with.

In short - this has nothing to do with your race. It's a convenient excuse. And you apparently were part of a place where this kind of venting is part of the culture and you...well, were a disruptive element to their purging process it seems. It is ridiculous that this is still tolerated but people have to go with those feelings somewhere, I suppose. And what better place than the wild west that is the internet.

I'm surprised you were that invested in a forum with such a strong race-bias culture, actually. Surprised that you could thrive in such a toxic environment. That's quite a feat. And hopefully, your presence there has at least made some people there ponder things. They won't speak out against the dominant culture for sure, but your posts might just have given them a reason to pause for just a moment and think about what they're doing. One can only hope.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned

thanks, I guess I needed that.

What's sad though is that in a misguided attempt to show them how they were coming off, I'd attempt to be "just as racist", though always facetiously, (which would sometimes go over people's heads), so that perhaps they'd understand the feelings they were causing in others. But, you end up becoming the thing you hate if you insist on putting yourself in such an environment, so I guess it's a good thing I can't post there anymore. Perhaps they were influencing me more than I was them?

But, lesson #1 from the whole experience..."fighting fire with fire begets fire".

They won't speak out against the dominant culture for sure, but your posts might just have given them a reason to pause for just a moment and think about what they're doing. One can only hope.
    I really hope so. I put in years of work to do just that. But, I'm not going back now.

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

suck it up and move on

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    thanks, I guess I needed that.

What's sad though is that in a misguided attempt to show them how they were coming off, I'd attempt to be "just as racist", though always facetiously, (which would sometimes go over people's heads), so that perhaps they'd understand the feelings they were causing in others. But, you end up becoming the thing you hate if you insist on putting yourself in such an environment, so I guess it's a good thing I can't post there anymore. Perhaps they were influencing me more than I was them?

But, lesson #1 from the whole experience..."fighting fire with fire begets fire".

I really hope so. I put in years of work to do just that. But, I'm not going back now.
    Heh, yeah unfortunately influencing works both ways - people can certainly drag you down to their level due to the frustration you feel. I'd say you're probably better of not having to deal with that kind of toxicity. Though it definitely was valuable in the lessons it has taught you. It has served its purpose
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Stansmith

I went through something similar when I used to post on an 'anthropology' forum. I found reading a lot of the discussions taking place incredibly toxic, and after a while, I realized that it was best to just step back and leave them to their vices. It's unfortunate, but there's not much that can be done about people who are thoroughly convinced of their own racial/social darwinist ideologies at the expense of empathy.

MBTI
    yupp

think differently, then someone else, and you will be labeled a troll
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

Yeezus.

It does sound like you tried your best to help them understand through e.g. role-reversal. Yeah, some people just don't like to have their worldview threatened. It's just easier to shut out information that doesn't match one's preexisting filter.

When it's a whole freakin' community pulling that.. yeah, it's sometimes best to just let their stupid ant colony drown in the rain.

Thankfully, not everyone is a colossal close-minded prick. Even in the south, I've gotten absolutely no flack for being in an interracial marriage.
    Perhaps they were influencing me more than I was them?
    Probably. Which is a good thing.

At least you were open to learning.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

not surprised.

MBTI
    INTP

What's sad though is that in a misguided attempt to show them how they were coming off,
    In all my experience arguing on the internet, and I've spent way too much time doing it, an attempt to show a person clearly exactly how douchey they're being is probably the least persuasive thing you can do. If you're right, and they can't see it, they'll take it as a personal attack and fight back; even more so if you're wrong; and if you're right and they can see it, they'll completely flip out.

I'd attempt to be "just as racist", though always facetiously, (which would sometimes go over people's heads),
    Anything like tone-of-voice, especially sarcasm, fails to translate over the internet with pretty stunning frequency, at least when you're arguing with someone. Also, if there's more than one way to read something you wrote during an argument, and one way is as a personal attack that you didn't mean, you can pretty much be sure it will be read that way.

This is true. Lesson #2 is "not fighting fire with fire doesn't always make the fire go away". Lesson #3 is "if someone on the internet is being an idiot, and you stop reading what they write, nothing that they say, no matter how ridiculous or irritating, will have any effect on you".