User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Do any of you ever steer clear of this site if you get into too many heated arguments

I know I'm an ENTP, but a lot of times I will take a break from this site if I get into too many debates on this site. If I am ever in a heated debate and I can't really find a way to prove my point to someone either through pointing out logical fallacies in the other person's arguments or providing them with credible facts, then I usually take a break from this site. I do it for a few reasons: 1) It really angers me to no end to lose an argument to look like an incompetent fool. 2) I do it to take time to do some research to prove my point. 3) I work right now and go to school and I have to think and work enough. I use this site as something to do to relax and have some down time. If I am having to look up facts and debate, then that makes what I am doing seem like work, and then it ruins the relaxed atmosphere. Does anyone else feel this way?

@Elfboy you might want to check out this thread.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I only get involved in "debates" when I know I'm right and when I can back up my position. If someone feels strongly about a held position but can't articulate why, then they should probably sit back and just observe.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I know I'm an ENTP, but a lot of times I will take a break from this site if I get into too many debates on this site. If I am ever in a heated debate and I can't really find a way to prove my point to someone either through pointing out logical fallacies in the other person's arguments or providing them with credible facts, then I usually take a break from this site. I do it for a few reasons: 1) It really angers me to no end to lose an argument to look like an incompetent fool. 2) I do it to take time to do some research to prove my point. 3) I work right now and go to school and I have to think and work enough. I use this site as something to do to relax and have some down time. If I am having to look up facts and debate, then that makes what I am doing seem like work, and then it ruins the relaxed atmosphere. Does anyone else feel this way?

@Elfboy you might want to check out this thread.
    Nah, I just move on. I enjoy the banter. People irl see a totally different side of my than here.

Irl I will leave for a while, otherwise I end up hurting ppl if I stay. Cause I don't hold back.

I don't think I know anybody enough on here to get to that point.

But I guess if I Did know someone well enough, I would probably take a break too.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I just try to avoid threads on certain subjects that I know could potentially get me heated. Sometimes it's difficult to, but I don't take the arguments that seriously regardless. If I need to research the topic at all it's going to be for my own knowledge, not just to beat someone on here . I figure if I'm passionate enough about something, I have solid reasons for why I feel that way.

Or I'm just bored and feel like starting some shit

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I only get involved in "debates" when I know I'm right and when I can back up my position. If someone feels strongly about a held position but can't articulate why, then they should probably sit back and just observe.
    Same. The "and" is important.

There are lots of times where I know I am right but can't articulate it correctly (I've said it before, I am a bad debater). It very rarely ends well so I don't bother trying with it anymore.

If I feel very strongly about something, and I know I am right, but can't explain it well, I will defer debating/judgement to another person or figure with statements such as "x person represents my opinions on the matter".

Then there is the matter of whether the energy is worth expending either. I don't like (and often don't try) to debate people who clearly will not budge on there position, or there is no clear way to establish who is correct. If I try and they end up being unyielding even in the light of facts I often get nasty and loose my temper because no level of rationality can move them. Drives me insane!

There are also people who are "lost causes". Either they are just so nuts it won't do any good, or I so badly disagree with them that I'll just get mad with the whole "How can you be this way?!" bit. Those I rarely touch.

Ultimately, it's best to just not try too hard.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Stansmith

While I don't get involved in debates, I pretty much feel like withdrawing whenever I post something, which is why I tend to delete to delete a lot of my posts. I kind of wish I were a one post every 3-5 days kind of person to be honest.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    While I don't get involved in debates, I pretty much feel like withdrawing whenever I post something, which is why I tend to delete to delete a lot of my posts. I kind of wish I were a one post every 3-5 days kind of person to be honest.
    I delete a shit ton of my posts too.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

@solipsists

You cheeky bastard.

MBTI
    ENTP

@Nights and Days

On topic, I don't really instigate arguments, but that one time Mole yelled at me I avoided the site for a couple days.

Yeah, just ignore those threads and posts. What people think of fun and relaxation might just be different from yours. I see debating as part fun and part exhaustion. I like being able to look up facts and expand on what I already know. It is understandable that you don't want to have to come home to a debate with angry-sounding people though. If I was more tired than I already am, the last thing I want to do is something that makes me even more exhausted.

Besides debating
    <---------------loves sleep.

Foruming doesn't have to always be about debates or arguing though. The thing about forums is that you don't actually have to be serious about anything. Most people wouldn't think too much about you for it whether you knew about politics or whatnot that turns people off.