User Tag List

First 1234 Last

garbage

yeah mod hat off here because none of this stuff applies to modding

But
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Same. The "and" is important.

There are lots of times where I know I am right but can't articulate it correctly (I've said it before, I am a bad debater). It very rarely ends well so I don't bother trying with it anymore.

If I feel very strongly about something, and I know I am right, but can't explain it well, I will defer debating/judgement to another person or figure with statements such as "x person represents my opinions on the matter".

Then there is the matter of whether the energy is worth expending either. I don't like (and often don't try) to debate people who clearly will not budge on there position, or there is no clear way to establish who is correct. If I try and they end up being unyielding even in the light of facts I often get nasty and loose my temper because no level of rationality can move them. Drives me insane!

There are also people who are "lost causes". Either they are just so nuts it won't do any good, or I so badly disagree with them that I'll just get mad with the whole "How can you be this way?!" bit. Those I rarely touch.

Ultimately, it's best to just not try too hard.
    Most of this applies to me. Hard represents my opinions on the matter.

I usually enter these things semi-neutrally. When it's an area of my expertise, I'm sharing what I know; and others can take it or leave it. I'm definitely open to questions, even in the form of provocative statements. Sometimes, there's something that I don't know, but given my expertise I'll know where to look for an answer and I'll try to provide it.

Otherwise, I'm usually just asking questions. In a "debate," I'm not gonna learn anything by shutting the other person down or getting all nasty--it's completely counterproductive and a waste of energy.

It's pretty hard to get "schooled" when I'm not just blindly asserting things.

I'm quick to throw my hands in the air when someone gets nasty, because there's no point in dealing with that noise any further. I'll graciously let them have the last word.

MBTI
    yupp

my need to be understood and my need to understand other points of views gets me into a lot of heated debated. especially since I assume if I tell them how what i perceive about what they're saying doesn't add up in my mind. I assume they would feel like sharing, but usually they just have a hissy fit and claim i'm being a bitch,a troll, or a douche. and then I have a hard time not replying back. Because I need to know, and I need them to know my point of view
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I know I'm an ENTP, but a lot of times I will take a break from this site if I get into too many debates on this site. If I am ever in a heated debate and I can't really find a way to prove my point to someone either through pointing out logical fallacies in the other person's arguments or providing them with credible facts, then I usually take a break from this site. I do it for a few reasons: 1) It really angers me to no end to lose an argument to look like an incompetent fool. 2) I do it to take time to do some research to prove my point. 3) I work right now and go to school and I have to think and work enough. I use this site as something to do to relax and have some down time. If I am having to look up facts and debate, then that makes what I am doing seem like work, and then it ruins the relaxed atmosphere. Does anyone else feel this way?

@Elfboy you might want to check out this thread.
    I sort of do, yeah.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I just try to avoid threads on certain subjects that I know could potentially get me heated. Sometimes it's difficult to, but I don't take the arguments that seriously regardless. If I need to research the topic at all it's going to be for my own knowledge, not just to beat someone on here . I figure if I'm passionate enough about something, I have solid reasons for why I feel that way.

Or I'm just bored and feel like starting some shit
    This is what I do, too. I've read stuff on here and have had to step away to keep from blowing up. I figure it's not worth it to get into things on here for the most part because it's not affecting me. I save it for real struggles.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I only get involved in "debates" when I know I'm right and when I can back up my position. If someone feels strongly about a held position but can't articulate why, then they should probably sit back and just observe.
    Yeah I try to do the same but many times it turns out that they have more information then me to prove their point. When they do this, I feel like I have to engage in hours and hours of research to either fully understand the topic or to prove them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Nah, I just move on. I enjoy the banter. People irl see a totally different side of my than here.

Irl I will leave for a while, otherwise I end up hurting ppl if I stay. Cause I don't hold back.

I don't think I know anybody enough on here to get to that point.

But I guess if I Did know someone well enough, I would probably take a break too.
    Yeah, I generally don't like to hold back either.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I just try to avoid threads on certain subjects that I know could potentially get me heated. Sometimes it's difficult to, but I don't take the arguments that seriously regardless. If I need to research the topic at all it's going to be for my own knowledge, not just to beat someone on here . I figure if I'm passionate enough about something, I have solid reasons for why I feel that way.

Or I'm just bored and feel like starting some shit
    I hate to lose an argument because I don't want to feel like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I sort of do, yeah.
    I'm glad someone else agrees with me.

LadyLazarus

Nah, fuck it, the past is the past.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Do any of you ever steer clear of this site if you get into too many heated arguments
    Yes. But not for long enough. Though there haven't been any for a nice long time.

And I understand not wanting to do endless research when you want to relax and not liking to lose.

Those to whom nastiness is done, do nastiness in return.

And some come here to express to others the nastiness that has been done to them.

I find personal nastiness to be debilitating, but instead of withdrawing I treat it like a big surf and I ride the wave of nastiness into the shore.

When I meet a big wave of nastiness, I know whatever doesn't destroy me only makes me stronger.

And nastiness can only destroy me if I acquiesce.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I used to, but I guess I've mellowed out some, lol. I feel like I'm kind of over arguing for the most part. For me it's usually not worth it.

Now I just take a break sometimes when I get overwhelmed by too much personal contact. If my online life starts feeling like my real life, that's when I peace.

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

type 6