User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    583 sp/sx

Sometimes I see what I read like a poorly lit play without details. It's dim and fuzzy. I get a sense for the characters' body types and how they move instead of a clear picture of their features. My mind will briefly choreograph scenes or create stills. For some reason, the spatial stuff bothers me. I try to "set" the stage, moving pieces around as I get more information. Other times, it's the words I hear. The cadences, the word choices, the metaphors—I'll savor them. I reread passages that sound delicious. If I'm not engaged with the images or the style, there's just a mental version of my voice that reads everything, and only the gist of the text comes across.

On forums, I think my mental voice does an impression of how I think some posters talk.

garbage

I skim words without bothering to "hear" them. It's faster that way. That gives me about an 80% solution, which is usually good enough. During the process of skimming, I immediately snap to seeing visual imagery and connections to other phenomena, for a fraction of a second, then continue reading. Rinse and repeat.

When I need a better solution, I do the above first; then I slow down, read sequentially, and "hear" the words. Hearing the words in my head ensures that I'm reading it, and it also provides another channel ("auditory") through which to process the same information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sometimes I see what I read like a poorly lit play without details. It's dim and fuzzy. I get a sense for the characters' body types and how they move instead of a clear picture of their features. My mind will briefly choreograph scenes or create stills. For some reason, the spatial stuff bothers me. I try to "set" the stage, moving pieces around as I get more information. Other times, it's the words I hear. The cadences, the word choices, the metaphors—I'll savor them. I reread passages that sound delicious. If I'm not engaged with the images or the style, there's just a mental version of my voice that reads everything, and only the gist of the text comes across.

On forums, I think my mental voice does an impression of how I think some posters talk.
    This.