User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default I Need help in deciding if I Should go into Comedy

I'm thinking of going into comedy and I need an ego boost or not to see if I should dive into the idea of being a comedian. So from what you know about my personality do you see me as a successful comedian or should I focus my time in getting a degree?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't know man, but I've always wanted to do stand up..

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Yeah it's one of those things that every single person should try at least once in their lives that or join an improv club

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Yeah it's one of those things that every single person should try at least once in their lives that or join an improv club
    So give it a try.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    So give it a try.
    Yeah I'll just do it during College and if I have a future in it in a year I'm going to drop out since I'll have my A.A, No I just need to figure out what career to go into as a plan B

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

1. Are you funny?

2. If so, try it out in your spare time. I don't think most comedians started out their careers full-time. They all had day-jobs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram

I'm thinking of going into comedy and I need an ego boost or not to see if I should dive into the idea of being a comedian. So from what you know about my personality do you see me as a successful comedian or should I focus my time in getting a degree?
    Eh, wrong question. Just do it, man! Go to an open mic, everyone's drunk and will be willing to laugh at your jokes, and if the jokes don't work, you can joke about how shitty you're doing and they'll usually chuckle a bit at that (that goodwill runs out quickly though, so save it). It's not easy, but I think after a few tries (if not the first try), you will see whether it's something you'd enjoy. I really enjoy it, and I regret wasting so much time wondering whether I had what it took. Now I go up there with a very vague idea of what I want to do, and just riff. And sometimes it's the worst thing ever (like you just want to die), and sometimes it's a peak experience. I'm not very good, but I love it. I don't imagine I will ever do it professionally, but it's still fun to do.

The "should I try stand-up" conversation is a lot like those people who always talk about writing. They spend so much time talking about this idea they have for a novel, or how they'd like to do it, but they're not sure if they're good enough, blah, blah. Just try it, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it. See what happens from there.

Good luck, and don't abandon your degree at all! At least try out some bits in front of a live audience first. Treat it like a hobby, before you make any drastic life changes. It really doesn't require a big time commitment when you're getting started.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Eh, wrong question. Just do it, man! Go to an open mic, everyone's drunk and will be willing to laugh at your jokes, and if the jokes don't work, you can joke about how shitty you're doing and they'll usually chuckle a bit at that (that goodwill runs out quickly though, so save it). It's not easy, but I think after a few tries (if not the first try), you will see whether it's something you'd enjoy. I really enjoy it, and I regret wasting so much time wondering whether I had what it took. Now I go up there with a very vague idea of what I want to do, and just riff. And sometimes it's the worst thing ever (like you just want to die), and sometimes it's a peak experience. I'm not very good, but I love it. I don't imagine I will ever do it professionally, but it's still fun to do.

The "should I try stand-up" conversation is a lot like those people who always talk about writing. They spend so much time talking about this idea they have for a novel, or how they'd like to do it, but they're not sure if they're good enough, blah, blah. Just try it, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it. See what happens from there.

Good luck, and don't abandon your degree at all! At least try out some bits in front of a live audience first. Treat it like a hobby, before you make any drastic life changes. It really doesn't require a big time commitment when you're getting started.
    That's what I was going to do, my question is if I should do it full time and just drop out of College, but yeah I'll do both of them

Enneagram

That's what I was going to do, my question is if I should do it full time and just drop out of College, but yeah I'll do both of them
    Oh okay, sorry! Yeah good idea, and good luck! Also, you should update the thread if you ever go through with it!

Comedy isn't something you "decide" to do so much as something you can't help but doing - in other words, if you're going to write out a pro/con list, it's always a terrible idea. But you do it anyway because you love it and nothing else makes you feel like that.

That said, you don't have to drop out of college to do it. All your shows are going to be at night anyway. Do some open mic nights. Work on getting a great 5 minutes. See how you feel after that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari