User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Are we making distinctions between 'introverted' and social phobia, intimacy issues, etc. ?

I'm not trying to be insulting and I'm sure these things can overlap, but to me, being introverted and being afraid/repulsed by intimacy and social interaction are very different things. Also, to me being an introvert and being a loner are not synonymous.

To me introverted is more about how deeply you go inside yourself. There are MANY introverts amongst my circles of friends and some are stone cold and very, very self-contained. They are still very active though and go out and about and pursue interests outside of their homes. I still consider them the most introverted people I know.

And Magic, you are so sweet. I just want to ruffle your hair right now, but I would hate to seem patronizing.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And Magic, you are so sweet. I just want to ruffle your hair right now, but I would hate to seem patronizing.
    That's okay, I like it when people play with my hair.

But that stuff you said about intimacy issues is very correct. We get back to my point about the Instinctual Variants. I'm really Intimate, so I want that kind of thing, even if I'm an Introvert, and I am very much an Introvert.

Have you ever noticed some person that just sits in a group, and spends the vast majority of the time apparently listening or gazing off, and only occasionally makes a small but sweet verbal contribution to the discussion? That's a social Introvert right there.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

I know this INTJ girl who lives in my city but I have never met her.
    She refuses to leave her house for any form of socialization and has a strong aversion to the ideas of romance and sexuality.
    She is scarily talented in music and incredibly successful in school. She kicks my ass at reversi over and over again.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But that stuff you said about intimacy issues is very correct. We get back to my point about the Instinctual Variants. I'm really Intimate, so I want that kind of thing, even if I'm an Introvert, and I am very much an Introvert.
    +1

I want the kind of relationship where there isn't much talking going on, but that I feel connected and one with my partner.

Actions speak louder than words. I wouldn't need to say or hear "I love you" when we've spent our lives in each other's arms.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think going inside yourself is more a description of introspective, not introverted. Introverted people tend to be more introspective but the two are not the same.

Introverted, as I understand it, is some one who likes spending time alone and doing solitary activities. If they are not extremely introverted, they will still enjoy socializing with people, on occassion. I think "loner" would describe extreme introverts, but not introverts in general.

Extroverted, as I understand it, is someone who likes spending time with other people. If they are not extremely extroverted, they will also enjoy spending time in solitary activities, on occassion.

In my mind the key difference between social anxiety and introversion is how comfortable the person is with their introversion. For example, if you spend Friday night alone at home reading and are happy and content to be alone at home reading this suggestion you are an introvert. However, if you spend Friday night alone at home but wish someone had invited you out or wished you felt comfortable asking some one out, that suggests you are an extrovert with social anxiety.

There is a complication. Many introvert report that negative comments are made about there introversion, that they are pathetic losers, that they don't have a life, etc. Because of this some people who are naturally introverted may not feel comfortable with their introversion.

Some of them suspect that many self proclaimed extroverts are actually introverts who were pressured to be extroverts because of the pressures of society. This has been their personal experience of many introverts over at Introvert Retreat, and they suspect it applies to others who have not yet found out about their real self.

Ilah

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Are we making distinctions between 'introverted' and social phobia, intimacy issues, etc. ?

I'm not trying to be insulting and I'm sure these things can overlap, but to me, being introverted and being afraid/repulsed by intimacy and social interaction are very different things. Also, to me being an introvert and being a loner are not synonymous.

To me introverted is more about how deeply you go inside yourself. There are MANY introverts amongst my circles of friends and some are stone cold and very, very self-contained. They are still very active though and go out and about and pursue interests outside of their homes. I still consider them the most introverted people I know.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I can't think of one in particular, but I view the extreme introverts as the people who avoid going out in public at all costs. I've known a few. They seem much more content to stay home alone all day, every day. I'm introverted but I like feeling connected with the rest of the world. So I need to get out after being cooped up for too long and when inside I like to be next to a window, especially if it's open.
    to avoid going out would sound more like social phobia to me..
    The truth is on the side of the oppressed. -Malcolm X

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My dad. I believe he is an ISTJ. If he didn't have my mom and me, I don't know what he'd do.
    He's very quiet and shy around other people. He is not in-tune with other peoples' feelings. Once, my mom was sobbing right beside him and he didn't notice. [To this day he doesn't remember this incident.]
    He's the kind that you can go out for six hours and return to find him in the exact same spot [in front of the TV]. My mom calls him a low-maintenance husband. Others call him a beer and ballgame husband.
    It's good, though, because he is extremely stable and dependable.

MBTI
    GONE

Edit:
    Ha! I already responded to this earlier and not realizing that - below is part of the new response I wrote. It's pretty consistent with my earlier post but I just wanted to emphasize the concept of being *self-contained*. That's how I view introversion.

Updated response
    That's really my standard for true introversion - how alone and for how long can you be by yourself without being lonely or jaded and in fact feel content. A lot of extreme introverts that I know who are also social and active would describe themselves as "loners" and that they like their "solitude".

I think Magic gave a good example of a social introvert.

I know a lot of introverted people and my introverted friends agree - there are a lot more introverts in the world than extroverts regardless of statistics that may say it's 50/50. I think it's definitely more likely that I will meet an introverted person than an extroverted person, all things being equal. I am a true extrovert in that my focus and how I find happiness is very outside and other based I get energized by socializing and interacting with people and have almost no limits as to how much socializing/extraverting I can do before getting tired.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Some dude I knew in school. He never looked at ANYONE. He was always with his nose in books. The only thing people knew about him was that he could calculate the square root of almost whichever number from the top of his head to 2 decimals in his answer within a minute or two. (And I'm talking 4, 5 or even 6 figures or so.)

We called him "Wortelgast" or "Willy Wortel" which is loosely translated to "Rootboy", "Willy Wortel" is the dutch name for the inventor dude in Donal Duck.

The teachers all thought of him as some kind of wunderkind. But no one was jealous. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

heart on fire

My father. He tested INTJ.

Always analyzing the world and how to improve it, always thinking about better systems. Patient, quiet, very funny at times. Never said an unkind word to me, EVER. Emotion so hard for him to express but capable of powerful gestures at times. Deeply interested in the strange and mystical in life as well as electronics and science. Fascinated with different religions and anthropology.

Easily exhausted by contact with people but never afraid to extrovert when he needed to like at work. What I mean is, he wasn't "shy" and he was capable of taking charge of situations but most often he preferred to do his own thing his own way alone. Capable of using a velvet over steel voice that made people take notice when they overstepped. I like heard him do this a handful of times in my life, most often in my defense. I am sure he also used it at work though he was a supervisor in the last part of his career.

He was so introverted that now when I talk to other people who knew him and I'll talk about one of our conversations, they will say "Your Dad said/thought all that? I didn't think he ever talked to anyone!"

He was the most outgoing when he was with my mother. Based on her outward behavior she was some kind of EJ but I am not really sure now which. He was totally different person around her.