User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I've known of some really introverted people back in school. They are people who don't say much unless talking about something they are interested in and often don't give a damn of what other people think of them. Shy and introverted aren't the same thing. I have an ISFJ friend who is very timid but I would say that there are plenty of people more introverted than she is- she enjoys social contact enough that she's far from a recluse but it takes a lot of effort to get her to talk but it's clear it's due to social anxiety.

"Uber introversion" and "staying at home" are definitely not the same things.

I find (because I wasn't able to get a job this summer) that I am spending a lot of nights at home but I know I'm not introverted and would rather be doing something else. My main social contact is either going on AIM, spending time with family (A lot of time actually!) or hanging out with the few people I actually enjoyed hanging out with in high school.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

This thread is really confusing me about introverts. Now I'm not sure exactly what defines an introvert. And are introverts considered anti-social or having social anxiety now?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    This thread is really confusing me about introverts. Now I'm not sure exactly what defines an introvert. And are introverts considered anti-social or having social anxiety now?
    Antisocial is behavior is "a disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others" and social anxiety is "emotional discomfort, fear, apprehension or worry regarding social situations and being evaluated by other people". One can be an introvert without being antisocial or socially anxious (and someone can be an extrovert and be one of the aforementioned). Introverts need to tend to their inner world to charge themselves and extroverts need to tend to the external world to charge themselves.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Antisocial is behavior is "a disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others" and social anxiety is "emotional discomfort, fear, apprehension or worry regarding social situations and being evaluated by other people". One can be an introvert without being antisocial or socially anxious (and someone can be an extrovert and be one of the aforementioned). Introverts need to tend to their inner world to charge themselves and extroverts need to tend to the external world to charge themselves.
    Oh, phew. Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My dad (ISTJ).

He lives alone, and never sees anyone unless someone visits him. He can be alone for weeks, and it doesn't bother him at all.

At social events, he is very quiet, since he HATES chit-chat. He doesn't talk to anyone except his family members. He doens't have any friends. He is just looking forward to getting home.

MBTI
    INXP

Does anyone know anyone who has happily broken out of extreme introversion/social anxiety?
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Does anyone know anyone who has happily broken out of extreme introversion/social anxiety?
    It's possible to break out of social anxiety. Extreme introversion seems to be innate, however, so I'm guessing no for that one.

Again, social anxiety and introversion aren't the same thing - it's possible for extraverts to have social anxiety.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTJ

I belong to a yahoo group called Introvert Retreat. I am one of the more moderate ones on the group. Some people there are very extreme in their introversion. The most extreme ones have a job where they can work from home or have it as their goal to have one. Many are unmarried and don't have any desire to get married. Some that are married have an introverted partner and spend more alone time from their significant other that most couples do. The ones that are married to an extrovert seem to be a stressed out because their partner is not happy about the amount of alone time they want. The idea of a married couple living in seperate houses and getting together for dates and sleepovers has been circulated and many on the board are very receptive to it.

Another idea seems to be living in an area without a lot of people around, such as a cabin in the woods.

A common thing for many of them is that they tried to live life as an extrovert and it caused high levels of stress and anxiety.

Ilah

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What is the point of being married if you live in separate houses?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There might be other factors here(read: the instinctual variants).

I'm personally okay with the idea of sharing my living space with one other person. I'm qute desirous of it, in fact. The idea of meeting then separating over and over again bothers me, especially regarding certain subjects. Sleeping together is one of the most important bonds to me...
    Go to sleep, iguana.