User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Why I am bitter and or cynical

I stayed up all night last night and listened to music, but not being able to just listen to music, I spent quite a while answering match questions on okcupid. Of course, I was astonished to find that many girls who answered the same questions got some of the easiest ones wrong! It's one thing for someone to believe that all people with low IQ should be forbidden from reproducing or that nuclear war would be exciting (as many of them literally believe, apparently), but it's a whole 'nother kettle of fish when someone doesn't even know that a mile is longer than a kilometer or that the sun is bigger than Earth. Speaking of stars, my fellow respondents had particular trouble with a question dealing with the nature of shooting stars. Some, perhaps even most, of them literally think that a shooting star is an actual star that collides with the Earth's atmosphere. How hilarious is that?

Early on in my discovering of how moronic these people are, I felt quite compelled to message a few of them and say, hey, you might wanna revise your answer here. Specifically, to one of them I sent a message that went:

I noticed you answered that the "wherefore" in "wherefore art thou Romeo" means "where" and not "why." Thought you might want to know that it actually does mean "why." Juliet isn't asking Romeo where he is. She is asking him why he has to be who he is, such that their love is forbidden. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but you put it as mandatory or very important that your match say "where" and that would be incorrect.
    Now, perhaps I'm the stupid one here. It's just that there is this loud little 1% of me that still thinks this girl might actually respond with a rational thought. It's like I refuse to let go of this fantasy that people could actually behave according to some standard of sensibility. Let me provide a few examples of responses I would have found appropriate, had someone messaged me in a similar way:

1. Holy shit! I can't believe I didn't know that, how embarrassing!
    2. Oh, damn you're right, I just googled it and it totally said that. Where did you learn this?
    3. Thanks, I'm glad I know that now. Romeo and Juliet is an important story and I would like to be able to make sense of it. This gives a whole new meaning to that incredibly famous quotation!
    4. Interesting, I'll fix it. So how about that singularity? [or other common topic of interest]

Or any mix of the above. Those are rational, mature responses. And there are many more possibilities! Now, I realize that my original message was a bit... prosaic, I'll say... but that was kind of the joke of it. It was meant to be slightly ironic, even though it was true and all. That's just kind of my style. I assume people have a sense of humor about things. I really don't think it takes much.

But far be it from me to know what the fuck I am talking about! I knew this was how it was going to go down, and shortly I received the ever-so-predictable reply of:

Lol you must be bored... Only a bored man would take the time to correct a woman smh good luck on here
    Honestly I don't even quite know what this means. Is she saying women shouldn't ever be corrected, and must always be considered correct by men even when they are egregiously wrong? Is she saying that taking the time to correct a woman is such an exercise in futility that only a very bored person would actually do it?

Next she proceeds to shake her head and dismiss me. Well, you're welcome! Hope you enjoy the gift of knowledge! For fun, here is my final response, whose insult I'm sure was utterly lost on her:

True, it was a pointless endeavor. Good luck to you as well!
    All of this first makes me wonder what kind of message would have elicited a favorable response. Maybe something nonsensical? "I see you're a scorpio. I only get boners for scorpios" perhaps. Or maybe something about ghosts, or Victoria's Secret. But honestly I can't stoop to that level. I have tried. I went through a very Machiavellian phase which is well-documented in the past threads I have created. I specifically set out, first off, to tell everyone exactly what they wanted to hear, my own beliefs be damned. I discovered, however, I actually do value sincerity and truth. The problem is, I can't be sincere with people and have them like me, and the truth is something people have no inherent interest in.

Alone, this example wouldn't mean much, but it is literally all I see in the world. Stuff just doesn't make sense to me. My twitter blew up last week over some football game I still can't even identify. I guess like 55 million people watched? I can only feel a sense of despair when I hear something like that... a sense of profound isolation. I'm just saying this because I don't want the feminist attack brigade on my ass for this. It's PEOPLE that disgust me, not women.

END.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I'm going crazy. I need a lobotomy or something. Can we get a fund going?

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I noticed you answered that the "wherefore" in "wherefore art thou Romeo" means "where" and not "why." Thought you might want to know that it actually does mean "why." Julia isn't asking Romeo where he is. She is asking him why he has to be who he is, such that their love is forbidden. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but you put it as mandatory or very important that your match say "where" and that would be incorrect.

*smh*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    *smh*
    Fixed it before you got in. Hah!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Lol, that was an entertaining read.

For starters, there was more to the nuclear war question than you may have imagined. I actually made a thread about that question, and, though I'm biased, the people who answered 'yes' on the poll seem to me, on average, noticeably more intellectually sophisticated than the ones who answered 'no'.

While I agree with you that answering the question wrong and classifying the wrong answer as mandatory/very important is extremely dumb, and should be pointed out by default, verbalizing that without a decent pretext for it demonstrates very weak social skills (which hints low social status, incidentally). Know-it-alls aren't sexy, and that's a first impression you wanna avoid.

MBTI
    INTP

As I was making this OP, I was also texting my next door neighbor. This amuses me. I really don't mind if people aren't that smart as long as they aren't assholes, you know? My neighbor at least has a sense of humor and is fun to talk to.

*Note, at this point I begin hearing the song "Imagine" come through my wall, as she is blasting songs on her radio (as usual).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Lol, that was an entertaining read.

For starters, there was more to the nuclear war question than you may have imagined. I actually made a thread about that question, and, though I'm biased, the people who answered 'yes' on the poll seem to me, on average, noticeably more intellectually sophisticated than the ones who answered 'no'.

While I agree with you that answering the question wrong and classifying the wrong answer as mandatory/very important is extremely dumb, and should be pointed out by default, verbalizing that without a decent pretext for it demonstrates very weak social skills (which hints low social status, incidentally). Know-it-alls aren't sexy, and that's a first impression you wanna avoid.
    I actually believe you that people who answered "might be exciting" to the nuclear war question are on average smarter. Sometimes smarter people have less common sense than dumber ones. They don't realize that nuclear war would turn the world into something akin to the book/movie "The Road," which if you ask me was the least exciting, most depressing movie I have ever seen.

As for the poor social skills, that was the irony I referred to. I tend to think that kind of thing is funny. I dunno.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Look who's talking about common sense, rofl.

Sometimes 'lol' is simply not enough.

MBTI
    INTP

OK I realize my common sense in the past few months wasn't spectacular, but I HAVE IMPROVED DAMMIT!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    OK I realize my common sense in the past few months wasn't spectacular, but I HAVE IMPROVED DAMMIT!
    true