User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    For starters, there was more to the nuclear war question than you may have imagined. I actually made a thread about that question, and, though I'm biased, the people who answered 'yes' on the poll seem to me, on average, noticeably more intellectually sophisticated than the ones who answered 'no'.
    I remember that thread. Some of us got into quite a kerfuffle with Marmotini on that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    While I agree with you that answering the question wrong and classifying the wrong answer as mandatory/very important is extremely dumb, and should be pointed out by default, verbalizing that without a decent pretext for it demonstrates very weak social skills (which hints low social status, incidentally). Know-it-alls aren't sexy, and that's a first impression you wanna avoid.
    The highlighted just means she is looking for someone as dumb as she is. @zago was spoiling her fun.

The response he really should wonder about is: "Just why did you bother to correct me on this?" That would come from someone like me setting it up on purpose, as bait to smoke out grammar nazis with time on their hands.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

What response were you hoping to get from that message? I don't really get how you could see it as helpful or kind in any way...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    What response were you hoping to get from that message? I don't really get how you could see it as helpful or kind in any way...
    How could you possibly not see it as helpful and kind? I honestly think that is an important thing to know. That quote is one of the most famous of the English language. I certainly would want to know what it actually meant. I'm so dead serious right now. Like I said, there was 1% of me that refused to believe I would just get told off but would actually be appreciated. I would appreciate such a correction myself. Actually for a while I had the "if you turn a left handed glove inside out" question wrong. No one ever corrected me on it, but I wish they had! Once I realized it I was truly embarrassed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Poor Zago! *draws Zago to bosom and pets his pointed little head*

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    How hilarious is that?

Early on in my discovering of how moronic these people are, I felt quite compelled to message a few of them and say, hey, you might wanna revise your answer here.
    I understand where you are coming from. The isolation thing is easy to understand, so many of us struggle with it. Are happy like this? Because it can be entertaining to make fun of others. Still sounds like a bit of a jerk thing, not someone I would want to be close to.

What I see is a one sided story. You dictate the answer you want. There is no mention of truly interacting with anyone (a gift of knowledge). And you make no effort in common knowledge, identical to what you are ridiculing others for. (Curiousity:Are you active in the singularity community? AI? Rationalist? Futurist?)

The feeling of isolation I understand, but isolation is the protection we build around ourselves. The differences you judge are small compared to the similarities. You are offended by them rejecting your gift of knowledge like they are offended by being corrected. When stuck in traffic, you are traffic; when you talk about people, you are people.

An analogy that might help... You know those people who fish for compliments/feedback on facebook? "Oh, can't believe that just happened", "Oh, I feel so fat in this". If you correct someone with an expectation of an answer, you are fishing in the exact same way. You too are seeking validation from them and you aren't getting it. That's what feeds the feeling of a lonely isolated world.

---

Also, women are punished for appearing intelligent*. And if they are honeytraping or catfishing, well, that's the correct strategy. And using questions that can represent abstract concepts (shooting stars, wish, love, romance) isn't a good idea. And okCupid is a game, literally, full of gaming questions to answer what your opposing match would say. And, in some cases, it could be bots farming for data.

Just saying.

(*) I'm willing to bet that you narrate a different response from a woman (gratitude, judging from your post) rather than from a male which would have the expectation of confrontation (feeding of dominance.)

---

Mind you, there isn't nearly enough singularity talk around these parts. And I really do need advice on adjusting my own preferences as the chance for immortality grows. How much more on medical screening should I do now? How close are we!? That's serious business (value approaching infinite!) and no one cares.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

That's not entirely true. He detailed several answers he would have found acceptable. He was looking for dialog, and someone took it as a contest and just quit when she got it wrong, rather than come back at him.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. The isolation thing is easy to understand, so many of us struggle with it. Are happy like this? Because it can be entertaining to make fun of others. Still sounds like a bit of a jerk thing, not someone I would want to be close to.
    I see this as nothing major. People often poke fun at "nerds" and it is thought of as fine. I think it is a little mean, but I tend not to say anything about it. I just think things should go both ways, if that's the case.

What I see is a one sided story. You dictate the answer you want. There is no mention of truly interacting with anyone (a gift of knowledge). And you make no effort in common knowledge, identical to what you are ridiculing others for. (Curiousity:Are you active in the singularity community? AI? Rationalist? Futurist?)

The feeling of isolation I understand, but isolation is the protection we build around ourselves. The differences you judge are small compared to the similarities. You are offended by them rejecting your gift of knowledge like they are offended by being corrected. When stuck in traffic, you are traffic; when you talk about people, you are people.

An analogy that might help... You know those people who fish for compliments/feedback on facebook? "Oh, can't believe that just happened", "Oh, I feel so fat in this". If you correct someone with an expectation of an answer, you are fishing in the exact same way. You too are seeking validation from them and you aren't getting it. That's what feeds the feeling of a lonely isolated world.
    I think you're going pretty far out on a limb here. It's one thing to fish for compliments, but my message differs in that something important was actually communicated. That's one of the most famous quotes from one of the most famous works of literature of all time. To understand it, especially when one misinterpreted it before, is valuable.

"I am the traffic" and "I am people" verges on meaningless. Sounds New-agey. Not sure what you mean, perhaps you could clarify. I personally don't think all things go equally both ways all the time.

Also, women are punished for appearing intelligent*. And if they are honeytraping or catfishing, well, that's the correct strategy. And using questions that can represent abstract concepts (shooting stars, wish, love, romance) isn't a good idea. And okCupid is a game, literally, full of gaming questions to answer what your opposing match would say. And, in some cases, it could be bots farming for data.

Just saying.

(*) I'm willing to bet that you narrate a different response from a woman (gratitude, judging from your post) rather than from a male which would have the expectation of confrontation (feeding of dominance.)
    Eh? First off I wouldn't message a man on okcupid, but I would certainly correct someone IRL if I heard him say the same thing. Dominance would have nothing to do with it. I simply value correct understanding of things. It's my INTP nature.

I don't take okcupid as a game, though. I do want a mate who knows these easy questions, or at least someone willing to learn. That stuff is important to me, as I like to talk about information and things. I have lived a lot of my life trying to be understanding and polite to people with what I would call silly beliefs, but lately I've been deciding that it never gets me anywhere. I'd rather come off as a bit of a jerk than the timid nice-guy with no noteworthy attributes--which is how I really do appear when I simply let people say whatever they want around me with no regard for truth.

Mind you, there isn't nearly enough singularity talk around these parts. And I really do need advice on adjusting my own preferences as the chance for immortality grows. How much more on medical screening should I do now? How close are we!? That's serious business (value approaching infinite!) and no one cares.
    I agree with you that people should care more. I try to spread the word, but this is another area where I am frequently shushed despite my undying belief in its importance. I think your best plan of action probably depends on how old you are and how financially stable you are. It actually doesn't take a rich person to sign up for Alcor, the leading cryonics company. For about the cost of a life insurance plan, they will vitrify your body upon death and revive you whenever, if ever, the necessary technology comes around. I'm of the belief that it almost certainly will.

Still, that almost seems like a worst case scenario. Kurzweil appears to believe that we will have all but cured death sometime in the 2020s. Based on the evidence he puts forth, I am inclined to believe that if it isn't the 20s, it will almost certainly be the 30s. The explosion of technology we are about to witness is impossible to understate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

1. Holy shit! I can't believe I didn't know that, how embarrassing!
    2. Oh, damn you're right, I just googled it and it totally said that. Where did you learn this?
    3. Thanks, I'm glad I know that now. Romeo and Juliet is an important story and I would like to be able to make sense of it. This gives a whole new meaning to that incredibly famous quotation!
    4. Interesting, I'll fix it. So how about that singularity? [or other common topic of interest]
    I would have said any one of those statements, not knowing the fact myself until you mentioned it here. Thanks for sharing this!
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

All of this first makes me wonder what kind of message would have elicited a favorable response. Maybe something nonsensical? "I see you're a scorpio. I only get boners for scorpios" perhaps. Or maybe something about ghosts, or Victoria's Secret. But honestly I can't stoop to that level. I have tried. I went through a very Machiavellian phase which is well-documented in the past threads I have created. I specifically set out, first off, to tell everyone exactly what they wanted to hear, my own beliefs be damned. I discovered, however, I actually do value sincerity and truth. The problem is, I can't be sincere with people and have them like me, and the truth is something people have no inherent interest in.
    I actually think she responded with humor....which is better than what I would have done.

The very first thing she said was "lol" I think she took your know it all approach quite well actually.

I would have just ignored you.

But I hate internet dating so that's my answer to everyone.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I actually think she responded with humor....which is better than what I would have done.

The very first thing she said was "lol" I think she took your know it all approach quite well actually.

I would have just ignored you.

But I hate internet dating so that's my answer to everyone.
    Yep, I'm mostly ignored. Kinda sucks. Makes me feel so great.

The question is, though, would you have changed your answer or kept it the same?