User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 257

  1. #141
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That would be all well and good were these people confined to dating websites like OKcupid. Unfortunately, they are just as likely to be the billing clerk at the doctor's office, your landlord, or your daughter's second grade teacher. Then it matters if they are stupid, and more importantly, if they cannot be bothered to correct their ignorance when it is brought to their attention. People like this make the world go round, or at least are supposed to.
    Oooh, I was speaking in the context of okcupid. If I meet someone in person who is like that? Flood gates are open! I am not going to be able to sit there and just keep my mouth shut when something that flagerently bad is happening. In those cases I am forced to deal with or interact with them in some manner, so I feel obligated to fix it. In that situation it is also generally more "socially acceptable" to correct it because it doesn't really look like you're going out of way to do it. I actually have a bad habit of correcting people if they say a fact wrong or whatever. Its bit me in the butt a few times, but it's pretty rare.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  2. #142
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It was not a gift of knowledge to the OP. It was a "gift" of thanks to the poster I quoted & was addressing.
    Apparently no one gets my jokes.

    Anyway, it's just as well it wasn't for him. It would have been a waste.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  3. #143
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Read the book. It's not as bad as you think. Most of it is common sense really.
    I've read half of it. That's all I could force myself through.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    The thread has been constructed in a way that any minimally useful contribution could be regarded as ironic (look at you! doing the same thing you condemn! I wasn't even asking for advice.)

    smh
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    Thank goodness, I'm not the only one who saw this!!
    I am really starting to hate it when people notice this kind of stuff. It's so weak, it's as if you are just trying to find anything you can argue with without regard to actual quality or thinking. Rasofy, you are becoming a serial violator. I mean, seriously, I completely smacked you down with my last response to you. When will you give up? Nonetheless, I will respond to your silly, argumentative comment yet again, because I have that 1% in me that thinks you will see common sense and learn something.

    No one here has anything to offer but opinions. That is in direct, black and white contrast to my OP. What I gave can't really be called advice. It was more just me letting her know that her answer to a question that she seemed to find important was factually wrong. It's kind of, as I have said, like letting someone know they have a stain on their shirt or their fly is down. There is no arguing with it. I myself would very much want the same correction. I guarantee that if I had made such a factual error in the OP, I would have been quite thankful for whatever reply or rep comment pointed it out.

    The problem with advice is the motivation behind it. Even though I did not even come close to hinting that I wanted advice in the OP, it seems like everyone wanted to give it. People like to give advice because it makes them feel superior. It is often condescending and lacks empathy, and it also puts the recipient on the defensive. Especially when there is clear negative judgment contained within it, which there obviously was most of the time in this thread.

    Victim blaming is a well-documented phenomenon. I think the word victim is a little bit over-the-top for me in this thread and haven't thus far used it, but now I must to illustrate this concept to you. When people see someone else suffering from something, their immediate response is often to blame that person and claim it must be because of some fault of his. There are a lot of reasons for this, one of them being the superiority principle I cited above. The other is that people often unconsciously operate under the assumption that we live in a fair world and that people generally get what they deserve.

    Unfortunately for me (and your flimsy argument), what goes around does not come around. Why is it so hard for people to believe that I might actually be suffering, legitimately? I think this thread does a pretty good job of making a point. However much I hate to say it, people don't tend to like me when I'm being myself. My personality sticks out from the norm like a sore thumb, if you'll pardon the cliche. It even got to the point where I felt that I must do what Winston did not do in 1984 and become like everyone else (by choice), and then I might be happy.

    From that thread... an excerpt of what I wrote:
    One question to ponder might be this: could Winston have been happy in 1984 if he had simply given up his struggle to be an individual and acted like everyone else? Perhaps this is what happened in the end of the novel, but I don't think it was meant to be a positive thing.

    It certainly relates to the way I see life right now, though. I look at the world and I see 1984. Very little seems to actually make sense; I constantly find that people don't care about what they do and do not know, or ever really being able to explain the true purposes behind their actions beyond 'that is just what is done.' Things everyone takes for granted in life, I do not, and never have. They go to church, school, college, they get married, they get involved in the world of the news and politics, they partake in the entertainment culture has to offer like sports, clubs, bars, etc., and they don't ever really bat an eye or wonder if there was some other way to live that was, in my mind at least, more to the point.
    It is uncanny how that connects to right now, actually. Fits perfectly. Huh. What's really amazing is the desperation here. I was so confused and frustrated I concluded I had found the answer in obliterating myself for an insane society.

    Clearly that idea wound up failing for me, so here I sit, alone. Sometimes in my pleasant aloneness I forget how people always are and I still try to extend a branch to someone, and something like this happens again and I remember how resentful I am. You'd be resentful too. Don't think just because you can give me some lame, opinionated advice you can fix my problem and make it go away, and don't think that you wouldn't feel the same way. You would. I have tried, I have been sincere, and it blows up in my face and everyone says its my fault. It makes me feel bitter and cynical. Guess I'm not invincible. Do you know anyone who is?

    So, for hopefully the last time, PLEASE listen to me. Please stop with your jaded, cooler-than-you responses that paint me as some asshole who just isn't trying and needs to take some condescending advice and shut up. Swallow your damn pride and either be quiet, admit that I'm right, or relate to me. No, I did not ask for advice. No, your advice was not factual. Yes, your advice was condescending and conveyed a sense of superiority and a lack of empathy. What more is there to say? Nothing, if you don't listen.

  4. #144
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Whatever you are thinking about responding after reading that post, because I know it's some retort, stop. Read the post again, slowly, calmly. Take some time. Have a cup of tea. Read it one more time. Then respond.

  5. #145
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    @zago Everyone in this thread has been trying to offer you some helpful advice, but you're in no mood to accept any of that. No one can even talk to you without having to deal with you criticizing them and calling them hypocrites. I don't know if you've noticed, but you're driving everyone insane!

    If you didn't want anyone to comment or help you see the situation from the other person's perspective, why would you even post this in the first place? What the bloody hell do you want?
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  6. #146
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    @zago Everyone in this thread has been trying to offer you some helpful advice, but you're in no mood to accept any of that. No one can even talk to you without having to deal with you criticizing them and calling them hypocrites. I don't know if you've noticed, but you're driving everyone insane!

    If you didn't want anyone to comment or help you see the situation from the other person's perspective, why would you even post this in the first place? What the bloody hell do you want?
    Good lord, did you read what I wrote at all? I even spelled out the exact answer to that question. I don't want advice, I didn't ask for advice. There are other ways to relate to people, do you realize that? I mean I can't make myself any clearer. Where did I imply advice was wanted? I realize people like giving it, but I don't want your opinions. I can think for myself.

    If I'm driving you insane, put me on ignore and leave. I wouldn't care at all. I was happy not being aware of your presence in the first place.

    And for the record, I called exactly 1 person a hypocrite in this thread. And my criticisms have only been in response to their criticisms. And their advice is not helpful. Another question I haven't brought up yet on that topic: how could you possibly assume that none of that stuff occurred to me at some point in my life? Seriously, I've had it at this point. I don't like people right now. I think you are all idiots and assholes. Like people from 1984. I don't care anymore. I don't care about tact at all now, officially.

    Time to go down in flames. I really did try.

  7. #147
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Hi I'm zago, and your guys' advice has never occurred to me! WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY? I SHOULD TRY TO BE MORE CHARMING? WHAT??? WHO ARE YOU GENIUSES, WHERE DID YOU COME FROM? I COULD HAVE NEVER IMAGINED IN ALL MY TIME............. I'LL BE DARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    TYPO-C, YOU HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING ADVICE. I WILL GO OFF INTO THE WORLD AND LIVE FRUITFULLY NOW!

    1/27/14 NEVAR FORGET

  8. #148
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Someone just get it over with and ban me. I really don't want to have to wind up posting gay porn again like I did at INTPc.

  9. #149
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Good lord, did you read what I wrote at all? I even spelled out the exact answer to that question. I don't want advice, I didn't ask for advice. There are other ways to relate to people, do you realize that? I mean I can't make myself any clearer. Where did I imply advice was wanted? I realize people like giving it, but I don't want your opinions. I can think for myself.

    If I'm driving you insane, put me on ignore and leave. I wouldn't care at all. I was happy not being aware of your presence in the first place.

    And for the record, I called exactly 1 person a hypocrite in this thread. And my criticisms have only been in response to their criticisms. And their advice is not helpful. Another question I haven't brought up yet on that topic: how could you possibly assume that none of that stuff occurred to me at some point in my life? Seriously, I've had it at this point. I don't like people right now. I think you are all idiots and assholes. Like people from 1984. I don't care anymore. I don't care about tact at all now, officially.

    Time to go down in flames. I really did try.
    I won't justify my statements to you, but I'm at least going to apologize for upsetting you - I'm sorry.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  10. #150
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Rasofy, you are becoming a serial violator. I mean, seriously, I completely smacked you down with my last response to you. When will you give up? Nonetheless, I will respond to your silly, argumentative comment yet again, because I have that 1% in me that thinks you will see common sense and learn something.
    Sometimes people stop replying not because they think you're right, but because they realize you'd never concede.

    I actually enjoy reading your posts, and wouldn't like to see you banned. Not that you asked or care, but anyways.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 12:20 AM
  3. Identical Types Amongst Siblings and/or Offspring?
    By FrisbeeLad in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
  4. Request: Pictures of Seattle and/or surrounding areas
    By swordpath in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
  5. Why I am here
    By HilbertSpace in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO