User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I have indeed extracted myself from mainstream society - it literally drove me insane. I quit teaching mid-year, with almost 0 warning. I was in such a deep depression I spent the next several months in bed. After that, I made 1 final push to fit in, and failed at it. These days I rarely see anyone, I spend my time reading and learning, and it keeps my mind occupied on pleasant things. I will run out of money to keep doing this eventually though, and then I don't know what I'll do. Hopefully I'll come up with something by then. I have found the value of filtering people and do believe that "the right people are out there" but it just isn't most of them. They are very hard to find. I appreciate many people here at this forum for the most part, so I spend time here. Still, I've got more honing to do. Wish me luck.
    You probably haven't met the right people yet, but what is not now, can come in future so don't loose hope in finding people who think the way you do. I've never fitted in any bigger group, my last try was at highschool, but I just disliked most of the things others my age seemed to preffer and I felt like a stranger at every party I went with these people. It was pointless for me to hang out and be a friend with people I have nothing in common. Now when I am at college I comunicate with my classmates normally, but I don't care for them. Mainstream people (90 %) of them are just superficial men who believe in everything that is on Tv and won't ever have any deeper view at world. I haven't watched Tv for more than 1 year, I haven't read newspapers (well I do once a month but usually I just get angry about the bullshits people can really care about) , I haven't listened to the radio for about 3 years... I meet mainstream people when I have to, I am not acting rude to them I try to tolerate them as they are, but...once I met people who only listen to alternative music are artists and have totally different outlook at life than a 90% of population I am much much happier.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Dawkins was discussing questions of the highest magnitude (how did we get here/where we are going to), and he was debating with a person that agreed to do it, in a proper setting.

You were on a dating website, where guys are expected to initiate conversations with women they fancy and see what happens, doing exactly the opposite: initiating conversations with women you seem to find intellectually unworthy to correct their answer on a question with zero relevance to their lives.
    There are undeniable similarities in the situations that you are not acknowledging. No, they are not identical. I realize that. But notice as she accuses him of being aggressive and ad hominem (when he is being more than civil) and how she finds it more important that people believe in something that makes them feel good as opposed to what is correct. To name a couple.

Random other stuff:
    1. Romeo and Juliet does not have zero relevance to our lives. It is perhaps THE most famous work of literature. To know about it is to be cultured and a citizen of the world. People should know about it if they know about practically anything. [Edit: this is to say nothing of its inherent poetic value]. Would you really say R&J has zero relevance if you weren't arguing with me right now?
    2. Furthermore, your claim that the question has zero relevance to her life flies in the face of what she herself indicated. She marked the question as very important or mandatory.
    3. Notice, I said before that I don't care if she isn't as smart as me. My major indicator would have been a open willingness to learn and engage. That was something I had every right to test the water for.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'm the wrong person to be associating with those issues, fwiw.

You have to understand, your belief is also common. I've talked it out with (?) dozens of disillusioned 20-somethings. I don't want to marginalize you, and have done my best not to, but it's a phase. When you come out of it, you'll either keep all the negativity you have as you move into a different mindset, or you will discard it and move on. I am hoping that you can move on before it becomes entrenched.

I'm genuinely trying to convey something I believe will help you in the long run. It's not that different than what you are trying to do for others. The only real difference is that I'm not cynical and bitter about it. Not that I convey empathy well online, I know, I've heard it many times
    This is very vague and lofty. What exactly are you recommending here, just so I can respond somehow?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are undeniable similarities in the situations that you are not acknowledging. No, they are not identical. I realize that. But notice as she accuses him of being aggressive and ad hominem (when he is being more than civil) and how she finds it more important that people believe in something that makes them feel good as opposed to what is correct. To name a couple.

Random other stuff:
    1. Romeo and Juliet does not have zero relevance to our lives. It is perhaps THE most famous work of literature. To know about it is to be cultured and a citizen of the world. People should know about it if they know about practically anything. [Edit: this is to say nothing of its inherent poetic value]. Would you really say R&J has zero relevance if you weren't arguing with me right now?
    2. Furthermore, your claim that the question has zero relevance to her life flies in the face of what she herself indicated. She marked the question as very important or mandatory.
    3. Notice, I said before that I don't care if she isn't as smart as me. My major indicator would have been a open willingness to learn and engage. That was something I had every right to test the water for.
    Think of it this way. She may be open to learning and engaging, but she has like many other guys to be open to and learn from. Knowing very little about them, would she spend her time to engage with Guy A who seems more interested in correcting her or with Guy B who seems more interested in getting to know her? It's a no-brainer.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Think of it this way. She may be open to learning and engaging, but she has like many other guys to be open to and learn from. Knowing very little about them, would she spend her time to engage with Guy A who seems more interested in correcting her or with Guy B who seems more interested in getting to know her? It's a no-brainer.
    Yeah, it's up to her. That is not and never was my complaint, if you've read the thread.

MBTI
    ISTP

This is very vague and lofty. What exactly are you recommending here, just so I can respond somehow?
    Don't be so critical of others, become more tolerant, learn to reach out to others. Not doing so will isolate you, reinforce your cynicism ad bitterness, and make it increasingly difficult to relate to others. The rationalization you use to justify your position is just that, a rationalization of behavior. I've read through a lot of your posts and can sympathize, but it is damaging. It's not like I can be a friend that reaches out and actually does anything. Anyway, the rest of my posts are about trying to find an avenue around your defense mechanism, or hook a concept that you may remember in the future.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    This forum has really soured me on INTP men though. Someone prove me wrong, please.
    Why? INTPs aren't for everyone; nor is zago; nor is any specific person. If you don't like this approach, don't pursue a relationship with someone who uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I bet Dawkins doesn't do that on dating websites though.
    He should. Then prospective dates on the site will know exactly what they are getting into, and can respond to him only if that's what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    You know you're mostly right, society is full of people...well let's say not willing to really think and do something with their lives (jerks). Don't try to meet them, why would you want to be a part of something you don't like, it will only make you feel more cynical and bitter.
    The only accurate observation is cynicism, but at least it helps us to look with eyes on the right places.
    Agreed. We don't have to want relationships with these folks to be discouraged by the prevalence of their attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Well, I can say that even though I understand where you are coming from, Zago, I feel you are missing the big picture for your own life. I hope that you gain more utility from being right and correcting others than you lose by distancing yourself. If you find yourself writing another post about bitterness and being cynical, however, I hope you will remember what others have said. Believe it or not now, it comes from you, not the world.
    Sometimes when we correct others, we are actually trying to help them gain more utility. Everything we do is not directed 100% at our own benefit. I've never visted dating websites, but I have corrected plenty of guys on plenty of topics in social settingss. Usually it's fleeting, because the guy's response is something like the options listed in the OP, and the conversation moves on. It's when someone starts clinging to their willful ignorance that I will twist the knife a bit, to drive the point home. My goal in these situations is not to pursue a relationship with these guys, so I don't expect them to be attracted by it. On the other hand, if I can point out some foolish mistake they are making, it might save them from embarrassing themselves in front of a girl they actually care about.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@zago
    1) you're an INTP. they tend to be cynical as hell because always critiquing the structural soundness of everything. even when they try not to be, it's difficult not to be cynical when that's the first thing they naturally notice.
    2) you're likely an Enneagram 4, 5 or 6 (or maybe a 9w1 with a strong 1 wing)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Sometimes when we correct others, we are actually trying to help them gain more utility. Everything we do is not directed 100% at our own benefit. I've never visted dating websites, but I have corrected plenty of guys on plenty of topics in social settingss. Usually it's fleeting, because the guy's response is something like the options listed in the OP, and the conversation moves on. It's when someone starts clinging to their willful ignorance that I will twist the knife a bit, to drive the point home. My goal in these situations is not to pursue a relationship with these guys, so I don't expect them to be attracted by it. On the other hand, if I can point out some foolish mistake they are making, it might save them from embarrassing themselves in front of a girl they actually care about.
    Do you truly believe that people out there, yourself included, are really correcting someone to increase the other person's utility? I wouldn't say it's even in the top 5 of motivations, even if it does exist as anything more than a rationalization.

I had a friend that was like this (more than one, to various degrees, but one of note). Made social situations awkward. Non-mutual friends quickly distanced themselves when the circles met. I got tired of it and distanced myself. I'm sure he has a small circle that put up with it, but it isn't what I'd call a high value circle of friends; always strained, never supportive, etc. Maybe it is optimal for him because of some deep set need for this kind of relationship... but I rather doubt it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why? INTPs aren't for everyone; nor is zago; nor is any specific person. If you don't like this approach, don't pursue a relationship with someone who uses it.
    I like the INTP women here though
    And I'm dating an ISTP and he's definitely not as Fe-deficient as this.