User Tag List

Thread: Social Media

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Social Media

So I'm curious on thoughts on social media. I think that some things are well trodden truisms by now, that things like Facebook are about the "look at me" mentality, people project an image of their life that is different to the reality - but I'd say actually that most people do this in life as much as they can, and project an image of themselves that they want others to see, and once you open that line of reasoning you get in to what is really the personality, and how can you truly know who someone is, my image of myself is one thing, another person sees something else and so on. I'm digressing… So back to social media… My own view is that I deleted my Facebook, and saved a lot of time that was going in to a void, I have Instagram but I barely use it and it's mainly because I like photography and I secondly thought of it as a social platform, Twitter I really have no use for. Social Media is constantly changing, and Facebook is falling out of fashion with the up and coming generation. I don't know how many, but I'm sure there are countless apps and marketing strategies that are all trying to utilize social media. There is no sustainability as things are constantly coming and going, so there is very little substance in the media ether.

So I'm curious about how you use it, thoughts on it, is it useful, how do you see things evolving? I feel that Facebooks on going privacy bs is a glimpse into how these things really operate, that behind the scenes they are being engineered to learn more about people, for marketing, information gathering and essentially for power and capitalism reasons.

I hope that this all makes sense. I occasionally have episodes of mild mania and am experiencing one right now and so I'm kind of on a faster speed right now. Anyway my point is to open the floor on this subject and to see where you are with it. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything which was surprising. Having said that it's a changing field, so old discussions may not be as relevant.

MBTI
    INTP

I use and like twitter. I just tweet about science and technology, whatever I find mind-bending. I like to follow the tweets of people who talk about those same topics and lead me to new information about them. I even think it is fun sometimes to read real-time comments from people on twitter about tv shows I'm watching. So yes I like twitter. The others I really have no use for.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I use and like twitter. I just tweet about science and technology, whatever I find mind-bending. I like to follow the tweets of people who talk about those same topics and lead me to new information about them. I even think it is fun sometimes to read real-time comments from people on twitter about tv shows I'm watching. So yes I like twitter. The others I really have no use for.
    When you put it like that it sounds like a good tool, a way to craft your own information. I'm sure there are many people here that are more hip to social media than I am, I've been anti SM for a long time, but I'm starting to see a good use for it. I appreciate that forums such as this is of a similar kind, but not really what I'm referring to.

When I had my old account on FB I used my real name and surname and I had some people added to my friends that I haven't been in contact for years, so my wall was spammed with info I didn't give a shit about... I changed my account, use fake surname so the people I don't want to know about can't find me, or add me. I've never added anyone as a friend without knowing the person personally in a real life. Also I've never written messages with people I don't comunicate in a real life as well... So basicly facebook for me is a place where I go, when I want to tell my friends "hey let's go somewhere out and have fun" and then also share some photos, but anyway I have like 40 photos on facebook and 45 friends and that's how I like it .

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm about to do a mass cleansing of my Facebook account. I already locked it down with the obtuse security settings, and that has helped keep many of the random people I used to get contacted by away. The reality is I don't have a lot of time for Facebook, and that's because I don't get a lot of use out of it. I take a lot of pictures of the sky during the spring, fall, and summer - when there are huge storm systems in the region I live. I post those pictures to my FB account for others to enjoy if they like that type of thing, and for me as a free place to stash them so I can see them later, whether I have my SmartPhone or not, LOL! But honestly, the damn advertisements that get presented are so annoying, and I've always hated the "timeline." There was one day where I realized that I wasted an hour of my time reading through a bunch of people's comments in the timeline bar, and I immediately logged out and went outside and did a bunch of yard work and then had drinks with my neighbors. I felt much better after that.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro