12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Default Do cities have a personality?

I would say that Cambridge, Mass, for example (home to Harvard and MIT) is INTJ.

I was inspired by a recent poll on the Facebook application Stuff White People Like that asked, "What City does your Soul belong in?" The choices were San Francisco, CA, New York, NY and something weird like Tijuana.

Anyway, this led to some pondering. As an ISTJ, and native of New York, I don't feel like I "belong" in New York City for a number of reasons. (It's too dirty, too crowded, expensive, and people are rude.) My idea city is Seattle or Portland - green, efficient, clean, and friendly.

Any thoughts?
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Cities most certainly have their own atmosphere, culture and thus personality, if you want to call it like that. Translating it into MBTI sees very far fetched to me... What is a J city? Would that make all European cities P?
    The question "what city does your soul belong in?" does make sense, though... Mine would be Oslo.
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, they do have a feeling that is very much different from the other cities.. Best example I remember is Valencia. It feels like a village even if it has millions of people.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, L.A., and London all have different personalities.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, they're all different. There is a collective personality of sorts in all cities. A different pace, a different driving style, a different way people interact and treat each-other...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yes. Canastota, New York is a veteran hobo who tells one hell of a tale. A "shambling raconteur," to use a fine phrase.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Cities most certainly have their own atmosphere, culture and thus personality.
    I agree with this. MBTI would be too specific for a city though. Interesting thread.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think you can rate cities by how extroverted or introverted they are. I am not sure about the rest. Cities with a beach culture - lots of emphasis on swimming, surfing, looking good in swim suit - seem like S to me.

As a general rule of thumb, you will probably feel best in a city where a large number of people share you values and interests. Large cities tend to be more tolerant of differences though and are usually big enough you can find groups of people who share you choices.

Strange choices for the poll. Many people prefer smaller cities and none of them were listed.

I am wondering why you identified your preferences for a city with your ISTJ.

Friendly in a trait generally valued more by extroverts than introverts.

Clean and efficent sound like T values. However, I think just about any type would choose a clean city over a dirty city. Even people with messy homes don't like to see trash on the street.

Green I think I might associated more with F, because Fs tend to be more idealistic. If you valued going green because you felt it was logical that would be T though.

Ilah

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Clean and efficent sound like T values. However, I think just about any type would choose a clean city over a dirty city. Even people with messy homes don't like to see trash on the street.
    I think you need to link F to an organic city design (you know, city growing for centuries without a clear plan), not messiness. Im thinking amsterdam, or barcelona. T would be berlin.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I'd say London's like.... High class and fun, like...
    'Winnie, we've got that party to go to'
    or ghetto and
    'Yeah wut bruv!?' 'Scene, u'cool?'
    so, it's an interesting mix of quirky and crazy.