User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @zago: How old were the kids in your class? Just curious what their education level / age was.

(I mean, I'm gonna guess not elementary school, considering the fetus story.)
    High school, all grades except freshmen (for my first 3 years, while I was at the ghetto school). The one who wrote that essay was in my biology class as a junior at the time, and I believe I saw her walk the stage at graduation the next year, although she certainly failed my class.

It's an impossible job, really. So, so many kids just get passed through the system without having learned or accomplished anything. It's one big show. And how could it not be? How does one teach a class where the IQ range is 50 points, some don't even speak the language, and only a couple even care in the first place? It's a joke.

One time for "KTIP" (a program they make new teachers do) I was assigned to do 1 on 1 tutoring after school with one of the girls in my class who didn't speak English. I mean, she knew the words "yes" and "no" but what this amounted to was me printing out full-page pictures of things like mushrooms and teaching her the words themselves. And even then she didn't learn them. She simply didn't speak English, what can you do? And here I am, assigned to teach these kids about things like protein translation and natural selection. I saw so much crazy shit in my time as a teacher. God, I can't even begin.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@zago

i work in a low-income urban school too (K-12th). it's crazy man.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    @zago

i work in a low-income urban school too (K-12th). it's crazy man.
    Lol have fun before you get too burned out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Lol have fun before you get too burned out.
    already there after 3 years. can't wait to change jobs.

EDIT: it's not the kids really though. it's other parts of my job that are burning me out way quicker. it can be pretty disheartening some days though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Several ill-advised cross-country moves that would have ended (more) badly without people saving us from ourselves. Sadder but wiser now.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

already there after 3 years. can't wait to change jobs.

EDIT: it's not the kids really though. it's other parts of my job that are burning me out way quicker. it can be pretty disheartening some days though.
    Oh, I hated dealing with the administration far more than I hated anything about dealing with the kids. Somehow they were even more insane and stupid. I guess it is just desperation. The principal there had this idea that everyone in every class needed to get an 80% on each test before a teacher could move on to a new topic. I can honestly say I tried, but it was the stupidest thing ever. Really brought out the worst in everyone. When you need everyone to get an 80%, it means you have to try to, say, wake up a kid who refuses to wake up, and when he is awake terrorizes the class. And this was on the 4th "retest." Oh, and when you write them up, the office sends them back to you with a warning. Lmao. I said fuck it at that point, and just taught the way I wanted to teach from then on. Of course, this didn't go over that well, but whatever. No regrets.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Oh, I hated dealing with the administration far more than I hated anything about dealing with the kids. Somehow they were even more insane and stupid. I guess it is just desperation. The principal there had this idea that everyone in every class needed to get an 80% on each test before a teacher could move on to a new topic. I can honestly say I tried, but it was the stupidest thing ever. Really brought out the worst in everyone. When you need everyone to get an 80%, it means you have to try to, say, wake up a kid who refuses to wake up, and when he is awake terrorizes the class. And this was on the 4th "retest." I said fuck it at that point, and just taught the way I wanted to teach from then on. Of course, this didn't go over that well, but whatever. No regrets.
    yep, the educational establishment is enough to make you want to go revolucionario on the whole system. i can't handle all the ludicrous standards and procedures and protocols that take away from actually teaching kids anymore.

/rage

MBTI
    INTP

yep, the educational establishment is enough to make you want to go revolucionario on the whole system. i can't handle all the ludicrous standards and procedures and protocols that take away from actually teaching kids anymore.

/rage
    Yeah. I hate that stuff. Other teachers succeed by just lowering their grading standards or teaching straight to whatever standardized test is out there, and they exist at every level. I'd always get into trouble because the school wanted me to give its own standardized tests, and I basically tossed them in the trash. Other teachers simply looked at the test beforehand and made sure the kids knew how to answer those particular questions, but I was never able to bring myself to do that. Too fucking dishonest.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure the principals made sure it was pretty easy for teachers to do that. They have their own show to create. The district wants proof that something is being done. They just say "ok we'll give them standardized tests and show some results!" Then they hand out the tests to all the teachers at the beginning of the year and say, "have your kids do well on these and everyone will be happy." Stuff like that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Got married

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

moved to NYC with a suitcase and a cymbal bag...had faith that I would get a job. I did.