First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Travelling outside of my country for the first time, solo, and into a place that doesn't speak my language armed only with a credit card. I guess $$ is everyones language as I appeared to have survived.
    Yeah, that's probably what I'd say too -- went to Thailand for a month, half of it recovering physically so I wasn't very mobile, and I was alone and couldn't speak the language and had just credit / bank cards. Although at least Thailand encourages learning English in their population and I was in Bangkok (which has a lot of nationalities float through), so I wasn't completely up the creek.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

In Mexico, with two travelling partners I met down there, accepted a ride up a mountain after only about 10 minutes off a bus in a completely new city from a random man and woman. 4 of us were piled in the front bench seat of their rickety pickup truck, and 2 rode in the bed. it was about a 30 minute bumpy ride up the mountain.

EDIT: forgot about the Italian guy we met there who came along. changed from one to two in the bed of the truck.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not that adventurous. But we got married and moved to Manhattan to an UWS apartment sight unseen on the same day, and lived there for the first 9 months of our marriage on very little money. We conceived our first child there and moved back to NC to have her, but when we got here we had no jobs or health insurance. Somehow it all worked out and it's been all stable family fun times since then, but that honeymoon year was a doozy.

Hitchhiked around NZ. Slept on beaches and so forth...

Moved to Japan was another. Chased my then girlfriend to Japan without really planning it out.

garbage

Not so much 'adventures' as many, many risks. Among them were pursuing a degree that didn't even exist when I started it; there were rumors of it, and I was banking on it being created while I was in school. My relationship with my now-wife was fraught with risks in the beginning stages--can't get into them, but they were well beyond the normal "oh no im risking my heart for someone."

Closest thing to an adventure that I've had was going on a mission trip to Taiwan. First day there, a few of us got separated from the rest--with one of those "rests" being the only person who could navigate the territory. Last day there, a typhoon diverted our plane to Tokyo, where we had to scramble to find lodging after nearly getting ourselves detained.

That trip took place during the last three weeks of a 10-week college class, too. I took the final having missed a third of the course, and I did manage my A.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't think I've ever done anything adventurous, stupid stuff yes adventoruos no

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Fun thread

Got lost in Nordic woods at night once and had to find my way back to civilization. That was cool/terrifying, but accidental.

Intentionally, co-led a group of people in "borrowing" some paint and related supplies from a building under construction, toting them a couple of miles in the dead middle of night across a very well-populated area, and using them to redecorate a large, prominent landmark.

MBTI
    INTP

One of the things I listed above was teaching kids from the ghetto. It is hard to convey the craziness there... a constant stream of minor disasters happens every day, and sometimes major ones, but again there were like so many I forget or they don't even seem profound to me anymore. (Off the top of my head, one girl miscarried a fetus and it was found in the trash in a bathroom fairly close to my classroom. That's one story.) I did, however find this essay I had assigned my students to write--5 well-polished paragraphs about stem cell cloning, with quotes from cited sources and a bibliography. There was one girl named Sharonda who I virtually never got to lift a finger, but I guess she felt ultra-productive on one of the days we used the computer lab to work on it, and she churned out this puppy:

I AM GOING TO TELLU MY OPION ABOUT CLOANING AND WHY I THINK THAT IT IS A BAD THING FOR PEOPLE TO DO AND WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU IF U DO CLOAN

A REASON THAT CLOANIN IS BAD IS BECAUSE THERE IS A VERY LOW SUCCESS RATE AND WHEN THEY TEXTED IT OUT IT TOOK 277 ATTEMPTS BEFORE THE CLONIN WAS SUCESSFUL

A REASON I THINK THAT CLONIN IS A BAD THING TO DO BECAUSE I DO NOT THINK THAT PEOPLE SHOULE PLAY LIKE THEY ARE GOD BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD IN THIS WORLD

A REASON I THINK THAT CLONIN IS A VERY BAD THING TO BECAUSE WHEN U CLON IT MAKES U AGE A LOT FASTER THEN NORMALLY

THESE ARE ALL THE REASONS WHY I THINK CLONON IS A VERY BAD THING TO DO AND WHAT ARE SOME THING THAT I THINK PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT MY REASO THAT I THINK CLONIN IS A BAD THING
    Yep, that's her essay, fully unedited, as she turned it in. Thing is, Sharonda was a little below average, but not that far. Other kids like her existed in abundance, but 99% of the time they simply don't turn in assignments like these, so you'll never get to see this sort of fail.

(There were 3 kids in that particular class that didn't even speak English. Like none of it. And 1 who was poorly fluent. That happened in most of my classes.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@zago: How old were the kids in your class? Just curious what their education level / age was.

(I mean, I'm gonna guess not elementary school, considering the fetus story.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I guess I've gone to people's houses I've just met before. that might be adventerous, and gotten into cars with strangers. I'll be tired of walking and someone i don't even know will offer me a ride and sometimes I'm like no thanks, others I'm like fuck it and get in. I've been solicited for sex before that was weird.